Cruise America with an Infant- Car Seat Question (1 Viewer)

kayak usa

Free Member
Aug 23, 2012
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Don't own onw
Exp
Help. We are two new parents new to motorhoming. We were planning to spend 3 weeks touring California USA with our 4 month old infant. As we are from the UK our car seat is set up for attachment with a 3 point seat belt with chest and lap belts. We have just been informed that Cruise America seats ( that are not in cabin- where we are not allowed to put her) have only lap belts.

Can anyone out there tell us:

1) whether they know of any British car seat make that you can use with a lap belt only that we can buy before going over
2) Any american car seats that we can buy over there that can be used with a lap belt only.(
3) Any car seat hiring agencies that will allow hire in one town (San Francisco) and drop off in another ( Las Vegas)

Having been online the advice seems to be confusing and we really need to be clear on this before confirming our booking

Any help/ advice would be greatfully received!!!

Thanks

Andy

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Cruise America should be able to rent you a car seat whilst there......all the car companies do so I see no reason why they should miss a trick to take more money off you :thumb:

All the best Rick

OP
OP
K

kayak usa

Free Member
Aug 23, 2012
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Don't own onw
Exp
unfortunately they have missedthe trick re rental (presume because of litigation) and won't rent or advise!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Check out Walmarts website I am sure they will have one that is cheap enough to buy when you get there....they have some good deals :thumb:

All the best Rick

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If Cruise America won't help and you have not booked, try El Monte or some other RV hirer , there are a few over there .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't put any child in a lapbelted seat...whether in a child seat or not.

there is no upper body support and no matter how tight you strap the seat in it will flip over the top of the belt in a serious accident.

I know nowt about babies but if the child weighs 15lbs it will probably weigh 100lbs in a head-on accident.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carolra

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Uk
Funster No
MH
Renting
Exp
We don't think it's possible....

We're currently in a Cruise America RV with our 7 month old. The sales guy assured us the seat behind the passenger had a three point seatbelt belt but that is definitely not the case, and its a sideways facing seat anyway. We have a maxicosi car seat and it fits, rear facing, between the diner seat and table (cushions removed). The lapbelt goes across the seat and the table wedges it in firmly at the back. We went to Walmart and none of the lapbelt only seats fit properly. We changed our intended route so we've done almost no driving rather than abort our holiday altogether but I wouldn't recommend this at all. I don't think there's anyway of getting a rear facing baby seat in one of the Cruise America RVs properly (there is no way of disabling the passenger air bag so it definitely can't go there either). It's a massive shame and we wouldn't have booked the trip if we had known. Try a local RV rental near where you want to go, they will probably be more factual and more helpful (try asking Cruise America for the local dealers contact details. We did this after reading all the terrible Cruise America reviews all over the Internet so we spoke to the people actually providing the vehicle and they answered a couple of queries we had... Although we didn't think to check the seatbelt issue...). Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back