Tour Guide Wanted Croatia next September (1 Viewer)

Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
Planning a trip to Croatia via Lake Maggiore and Lake Garda. Possible add Venice and Lake Plitvice.
Any suggestions of routes, Alps passes, places to stay, aires etc.
Thanks folks.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I like: Camping Riviera, Cannobio Lake Maggiore; Camping Italy Village, Cavallino (ferry to Venice) and Camping Korana at Plitvice (shuttle to lakes).
Plitvice is a major tourist hot spot, zillions arrive by tour bus early every morning. You can avoid the worst of it by following the various trails in reverse and staying late.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Planning a trip to Croatia via Lake Maggiore and Lake Garda. Possible add Venice and Lake Plitvice.
Any suggestions of routes, Alps passes, places to stay, aires etc.
Thanks folks.
We did Croatia in May-June:

Route out was the night boat Harwich/Hook of Holland,
Don't bother to book the food option.
Go to bed ASAP, ideally before you leave Harwich, as and you wake up early the next morning in Holland, you can be on the German Autobahns in time for a late breakfast.

First night was Green Camping at Braubach, right on the Rhein, book ahead.
Nights 2&3 were at Camping Insel at Bamberg, Bamberg town is cycling distance and well worth spending an entire day looking around, you could easily make it a couple of days.
Night 4&5 we stayed at St Wolfgangsee on the way out, again good place for several days.
and at Camping Schloss Aigen Saltzburg on the way back, cycling distance to the City, which can keep you occupied for a couple of days. (This is also the best site for Salzburg, others in the area do not have a good reputation)

Passes across the Alps:

The Grossglockner is a must, at least once in your life.
It costs something like €30, but only do it on a clear day.
The views at every turn are superb, so don't wate money doing on a cloudy day, so it could either be on the way out or the way back.

Not done it, but the Jazero Jasna is supposed to be wonderful if you are confident driver.

Off the route, put the TimmelsJoch is pretty good as well, with two good campsites on either side (Langenfeld in Austria and Camping Zogghof in Italy)

We spent 5 days camping at Lake Bled. We could have stayed longer

Camping in Croatia, lots of choice, but be aware the Germans book ahead, often at least 12 months ahead.
Several of the sites were 'resort' sites, pools, beach, restaurants, bars etc. Not cheap, but well worth the stay.

Plitvice is worth a few days, you can do the main bit of the park in one long day.
If you stay Camping Korona they have an hourly bus that will pick you up from the site and drop you back at the end of a long day. They also have a good restaurant on site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
If you are hoping to visit definitely use the
VENICE_ (32).jpg
Fusina Campsite, get a water side plot looking out towards Venice.

The boat taxi to Venice is 5 mins walk from the camp gates.

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
On my way there now, currently in Reims, aiming for Mont Blanc tunnel, hoping to pitstop in Venice, need to be in Split for 18th October. Other than that I am winging it a bit and googling tomorrow the night before!

With regard to Venice, has anyway stayed at the parking spot right behind the train station? At Euro50 it looks a little steep but not enough to put me off for one night. Is it busy? Is it wise to get in early?

TIA

Safe travels

Mark

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
On my way there now, currently in Reims, aiming for Mont Blanc tunnel, hoping to pitstop in Venice, need to be in Split for 18th October. Other than that I am winging it a bit and googling tomorrow the night before!

With regard to Venice, has anyway stayed at the parking spot right behind the train station? At Euro50 it looks a little steep but not enough to put me off for one night. Is it busy? Is it wise to get in early?

TIA

Safe travels

Mark
Can’t help you with the station car park, but the best way to arrive in Venice is by boat.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Maybe you’re not a sun seeker but from experience the weather seems to go downhill by late September from experience.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Stayed here for a few nights, nothing special but easy to get with as much room as you want. A few minutes walk takes you to the water taxi that takes you into Venice (€10), you see a lot more coming into the back of the city and walking through..

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Maybe you’re not a sun seeker but from experience the weather seems to go downhill by late September from experience.
Currently in Zadar. Came over the border from Slovenia nearly 2 weeks ago. Not seen a drop of rain yet. Forecast is for warm, dry and sunny! (y)
Screenshot_20231003-084146.png

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I'd advise getting an ASCI card as wilding is generally not possible, although we're currently in a free park up in the centre of Zadar so it can be done.

As previously mentioned there are a lot of absolutely huge resort campsites in Croatia. To give you some idea, one we stayed at had 13 toilet blocks, plus chalets and a hotel as part of the complex. Impressive, but not really our thing. A lot are also gated with huge perimeter fences, making access to the nearest town a bit of a trek. Feels a bit like trying to escape from a prison camp.

The Valamar group of campsites / resorts (although often massive) have consistently been the best in terms of quality, upkeep, facilities, landscaping and location. All seem to accept ACSI too. Generally €23 including 16A EHU and water on every pitch.

Regarding itinerary and locations, you need to let us know what sort of holiday you're after. Beaches, mountains, hiking, cities, etc.

I wouldn't skip Slovenia either. Stunning country and considerably cheaper than Croatia for day to day living costs. Croatia is now pretty expensive (especially supermarket), although eating out (outside of the main resorts / cities) can be reasonable value.

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Stayed here for a few nights, nothing special but easy to get with as much room as you want. A few minutes walk takes you to the water taxi that takes you into Venice (€10), you see a lot more coming into the back of the city and walking through..
Many thanks, saw that one too.

M

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I'd advise getting an ASCI card as wilding is generally not possible, although we're currently in a free park up in the centre of Zadar so it can be done.

As previously mentioned there are a lot of absolutely huge resort campsites in Croatia. To give you some idea, one we stayed at had 13 toilet blocks, plus chalets and a hotel as part of the complex. Impressive, but not really our thing. A lot are also gated with huge perimeter fences, making access to the nearest town a bit of a trek. Feels a bit like trying to escape from a prison camp.

The Valamar group of campsites / resorts (although often massive) have consistently been the best in terms of quality, upkeep, facilities, landscaping and location. All seem to accept ACSI too. Generally €23 including 16A EHU and water on every pitch.

Regarding itinerary and locations, you need to let us know what sort of holiday you're after. Beaches, mountains, hiking, cities, etc.

I wouldn't skip Slovenia either. Stunning country and considerably cheaper than Croatia for day to day living costs. Croatia is now pretty expensive (especially supermarket), although eating out (outside of the main resorts / cities) can be reasonable value.
Many thanks Barti, useful info. Coincidentally I am staying at my first ACSI pitstop tonight near Langres in France having joined some time ago and not got around to using it!

M

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Many thanks Barti, useful info. Coincidentally I am staying at my first ACSI pitstop tonight near Langres in France having joined some time ago and not got around to using it!

M
We've never bothered with an ACSI card before, but got one this year purely because we were going to Slovenia and Croatia and knew that parkups and wilding opportunities are limited.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We stayed here for one of our stops before visiting the plitvic lakes.
( Croatia 53202 ) Pećinski park Grabovača on park for night.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done Croatia loads of times. Don't miss the drive down the Makarska riviera. Check out my blog, section covering Croatia. Go down bottom of pages and click on older posts. Photos enlarge when you click on them.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017

M
Is it the site at Peigney that overlooks the Lac de Liez? Have a care if you decide to walk round it. It's a lot further than it appears.

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We went at thst time of year through Slovenia which we loved .
We found that it was sometimes Cheaper to use booking.com and airebnb than stay in campsites when we got to Croatia, certainly in dubrovnik.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Just back:

Harwich Hoek of Holland. Too short really overnight as posh cabin was lovely. Really pleasant staff.
You do disembark straight into the dutch rush hour.
First two nights Moselle - Camping Alf. Good site and slightly off main drag. Some great cycling.
Bad Windheim Stellplatz - a favourite of ours and a fun wellness centre.
Camping Zugspitz Garmisch - 2 nights. Great cycle up to top lake.
Alpencamp Kotschalch - great cycle down river. Lovely Austrian valley.
Needed Go Box for Austria and DarS box for Slovenia (but not too much of a hassle)
Camp Bled by lake Bled. need to book in advance as busy. Worth gorge walk through tourist office.
Camping Miramare Venice - Long way round but only 30 mins via ferry to St Marks. Good but mosquitoes.
Croatia
Back via Lake Bled again
Then Sportscamp Wofergut Austria
Hopfersee camp near Fussen

A couple of wellness spa stellplatze going North
Camping municipal du Bord d'Aisne -France. Seems v popular with brits. 3 hours from tunnel (I guess outside unwanted passenger area ;-) ) but I was not impressed.

tunnel

Nearly 4 weeks. Great trip and good weather in September. Shame to be back.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Down the coast of Croatia there are loads of Autocamp stops basicly small sites & half the price or less than sites.

Worth getting a Camping Card as most non ACSI sites will give a 10% discount if you have one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back