Still trucking and learning
how much is insurance
what milage will i get
is the van still under warrenty
will i ever sleep again
talk about nerves the thoughts are driving me mad
and the blommin thing has not even been paid for yet,
:Eeek: oh crips and there was me thinking motorhoming would be relaxing
I can totally empathise with you. We bought our first mh in January this year. After spending only 3 nights in the mh in the UK we then set off with our 2 dogs on a 3,000 mile journey across Europe to Crete. I spent the 3 months prior to setting off worrying about absolutely everything and having countless arguments with husband who wasn't worrying about a thing. And anyway I didn't really want a mh in the first place.
So what happened.................................... well everything went exactly to plan, we didn't experience a single problem and I LOVE motorhoming.
Although I put this down to my constant worrying and therefore superior planning! :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We always make a plan, though rarely stick to it. Tend to follow the weather in France. Spent last friday night parked between two panel vans, thought it was thunder during the night but it was their doors.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We also make plans, we catch the ferry to England on the 10 Sept, and the ferry to Spain on the 24 Sept. What happens either side of those plans is anyones guess! :thumb:

Craig

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Insurance will be between £200-300 roughly.

MPG will be around 25-28 roughly

Warranty depends on age - buy one if it sets you mind at ease around £300-600 for a good 3 year warranty.

You will only sleep if you stop worrying!

Yes, it is relaxing - soon you will adjust, stop worrying and have fun!

Mine is £700 P/A. For each RV

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I have a saying if you need to ask. How much will a motor home cost me
You should be asking. Should I have one

They are not cheap to buy
Not cheap to run
Not cheap to repair

I budget £2500 a year
Then £50 per night.

If it costs any less. Then. I am in pocket

I don't use mine for a weekend trip
I try and do three or four weeks (short trip)
Eight or nine weeks longer trip

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't get me wrong, I know what "Fun" means, but we don't want to scare people off before they've even given it a shot! :roflmto:

No you've got it wrong.

This is not a website to promote the sales of motorhomes. It's a website to enjoy motorhoming and motorhomers. We are a group of friends who help one another, incredibly at times, we take the piss here and face to face, we have fun and then some.

That is what FUN is about.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you buy a new van and sleep in it the first night, when you wake up, you will have lost up to £10000 of its original value!
But who's counting?
Allan

Now that is frightening. Could even be on the low side. Someone on here was offered about half the new price in PX at just a year old.

But, the thinking buyer does not buy new. No only does that first buyer take The Big Hit he/she also get to remedy all the faults that are included with a new MH.

Buy a year or two old carefully and it's better than buying new.

And a BIG THANKS to all those who do buy new to less the rest pick up the bargains.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We bought our first mh in January this year. After spending only 3 nights in the mh in the UK we then set off with our 2 dogs on a 3,000 mile journey across Europe to Crete.

Respect !

<FX> PUNCH "That's the way to do it".

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We always make a plan, though rarely stick to it. Tend to follow the weather
Bill

That was certainly the case for us this year - Do Germany.

Arrive on Mosel, grim, park on paths because pitches waterlogged.

Drive to Austrian border - all day, never turned wipers off.

A few nice days in glorious Fussen but weather catching up.

OK - good old Garda - find nice weather in Pesciera. But it's still following us.

Slovenia - We arrive, first day it's not rained for 5 weeks.

Back to Italy - Riccioni. Sunshine for a week.

Germany now improving so head north again to resume original plan.

Thank goodness for internet weather sites.

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
bought our MH July last year and I have kept a record of expenditure (sad person)

repairs 4 new tyres + cambelt
fuel 6000 miles
campsites
consumables
other items chairs tables etc etc
Insurance & road licence

total spend for last 12 months £7000 = £583 month

sounds a lot but we used it most weekends + week last Oct / may / 3 weeks in the summer
The reason for buying was to enjoy it

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
No you've got it wrong.

This is not a website to promote the sales of motorhomes. It's a website to enjoy motorhoming and motorhomers. We are a group of friends who help one another, incredibly at times, we take the piss here and face to face, we have fun and then some.

That is what FUN is about.

Totally agree!

I think I speak for most traders on here, when I say that no trader treats this as a business promo exercise - it is a 'time-out' for traders to be a motorhome owner/enthusiast like everyone else.

Over time, people will get to know you - and you get to know them. We all misinterpret at times, but that is the way words work when you don't have physical presence to judge a jest. We have a huge variety of characters on here, and you do need to lurk a while and feel your feet, give advice and get to know them.

You MAY benefit one day, but after much work and help given to funsters as they learn your intentions are good. It won't earn you much, as you don't charge friends full price - it is more of a favour than anything else. We call it 'funster Discount' Whatever you do, DON'T base your business model on forums.

Members will recommend you to other members after you have earned that status of being a 'trusted dealer' That will be worth more than any promotion you can do yourself.

There are some great people on here, get to know them - they are fantastic! Good or bad, I wouldn't change one of them!:thumb:

This is without doubt one of the trade friendliest forums, you just have to earn your 'funstars' Kick back and have some fun - you won't regret it, it's a sanctuary.......and boy do we have some animals! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We're looking at buying a MH in the next few months and if we sit down and work out how much it would cost to buy and run (with friends telling us repeatedly, "think how many overseas holidays you could have for that") it is scary.

But that's what it costs !! We've had a camper van and know how much fun it can be so you just have to bite the bullet and pay the dosh.

Geordies

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Yes, but once you've had your 'package tour' holiday that's it - money spent, nothing to show for it except some photos and a quickly fading tan. Whereas with a motorhome you still have an asset (albeit in most cases a steadily depreciating one) and you can just take a holiday at a moments notice without all the hassle of packing, flight and checkin delays, security checks etc etc. And the best thing is, if you don't like where you're staying or what the weather is doing, you can move on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6NS2D0pW8"]The Beatles - I'll Follow the sun - YouTube[/ame]

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Following on from the "C-Class" MPG, if you're going for a B-Class (no bulge) you'll likely get around 30-35 depending on the age and engine size.

And carry tea towels!

I've never had a motorhome that regularly returns 35 mpg, my small VW T5 only returns 33 mpg (but it's very early days yet - 5000 miles)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back