Conti tyres (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone any experience of the latest Conti Van Contact Camper all season tyre. It's a toss up between these and the Agilis cross climate, but these are cheaper and have a higher load rating.

I know some will say use the equivalent van tyre but I definitely want the camper specific version.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have Cross Climate Agilis ( not camper) which I find an exellent tyre..
However the reason have posted is just to say that the Conti tread pattern looks very tame compared to the much more aggressive looking tread pattern on the Cross Climate... which is the same as on my tyres and I can vouch for their performance/traction on wet/muddy grass...so assume the same on snow...👍👍

OP
OP
B
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have Cross Climate Agilis ( not camper) which I find an exellent tyre..
However the reason have posted is just to say that the Conti tread pattern looks very tame compared to the much more aggressive looking tread pattern on the Cross Climate... which is the same as on my tyres and I can vouch for their performance/traction on wet/muddy grass...so assume the same on snow...👍👍
Thanks for this. I agree with you about the tread pattern. The Michelin are also supposed to be a little quieter. Looks like I might as well just bite the bullet and go with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Fitted Conti Vanco Campers a year ago. Running them at 65/70 F/R on 3500Kg. So far so good. Seem a bit grippier than previous Michelins but haven't tried power sliding or doughnuts with them.
hi.
Go on.......... Force yourself !! ;)
Tea Bag

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Generally Contis have far better grip and ride comfort than Michelin.
I would never fit CP tyres to a Motorhome hate the hard ride and poor grip.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Had Michelin Agilis Camper on 4,250kg Kon-Tiki 599, lasted 16,000 miles on the front, 45,000 rear.
Personally I would avoid as I expect more miles from a tyre designed for MH.
As we're in the USA with said van, the 6 replacements we've had over the 52,000 miles driven have been M&S, not brands available in UK. They managed 25,000 front. Tyre cost vs mileage driven is the key for me.
I really don't understand comments regarding "grip", your driving a MH 65 mph, grip is important in a Ferrari, etc.
Good luck with doughnuts in FWD by the way :LOL:??
Also comments about "hard ride", we've now had 3 brands and felt no difference all @ 79psi
Other threads suggest 55psi for 79.2 recommended tyres the tyres for "smoother ride".
The tyres have a recommended inflation pressure, 55 psi is "under inflated" and if in an accident it would
be an issue.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I really don't understand comments regarding "grip", your driving a MH, grip is important in a Ferrari, etc.
Grip is far more important on a Motorhome than a car particularly in a FWD one.

Not much fun driving on normal roads in the wet you are going up a long hill at 40 - 50 mph and suddenly the front wheels start spinning, or pulling away on a gravel Aire and the front wheels start spinning & the Traction control cuts in, similar on wet grass.
But that is typical with Michelin Camping tyres, doesn't happen with the Toyo winter tyres I now have fitted.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Grip is far more important on a Motorhome than a car particularly in a FWD one.

Not much fun driving on normal roads in the wet you are going up a long hill at 40 - 50 mph and suddenly the front wheels start spinning, or pulling away on a gravel Aire and the front wheels start spinning & the Traction control cuts in, similar on wet grass.
But that is typical with Michelin Camping tyres, doesn't happen with the Toyo winter tyres I now have fitted.
I presume your really mean TRACTION not GRIP.
As the vast majority of MH and cars are FWD the issue is the same just the mass to move is different.

We drove 5,000 miles in UK, France, Spain & Portugal in 22, towing Aygo on trailer approx 1,500kg, no issue with
Agilis Camper traction, I just expect more than 16,000 miles from a tyre.
Ditched trailer for US trip, so just 4,250kg, we still drove up Mt Evans (now apparently Mount Blue Sky https://www.colorado.com/byways/mount-blue-sky) in the damp/fog no issue with traction, but on Cooper Tires
Discoverer HT3.
How quickly are you trying to leave the Aire, upset the neighbours?
Driving skills vary.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Agreed 100%

And Michelin Cross climates don’t have the best wet grip and sidewalls crack.
I'm sure everyone would be very interested to understand the details of the situation(s) when you discovered
"Michelin Cross climates don’t have the best wet grip".
Personally in 12 months I've had 3 different brands on 4,250 Kon-Tike 599 and felt no difference.
Currently in US so driving 70+ wet.dry on interstate to avoid being a roadblock.
We await you feedback.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Exactly as I stated, don’t have the best wet grip.

That is, compared to other, comparable all-season tyres I have experienced. Under cornering and acceleration.

Michelin cross climates have a hard rubber composition and the coarse tread pattern has very few or no fine open sipes like some other, all-season winter tyres. They only have long, wide venting sipes.

That’s my humble opinion and I am a bit unsure as to why you question that ?. 🤷‍♂️.

But I have taken the time to justify my opinion to help others make a decision and avoid the great expense along with the hassle I have had to suffer, when complaining to Michelin and the Supplier & fitters.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'm sure everyone would be very interested to understand the details of the situation(s) when you discovered
Personally in 12 months I've had 3 different brands on 4,250 Kon-Tike 599 and felt no difference.
Currently in US so driving 70+ wet.dry on interstate to avoid being a roadblock.
We await you feedback.
As per my previous post

AECBA73E-5A53-4AAF-8448-9BD25319FFCB.jpeg
9948A64B-206C-4F77-8423-E3E31B65C6EC.jpeg

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Michelin cross climates have a hard rubber composition and the coarse tread pattern does not have the fine open sipes like some other, all-season winter tyres. They only have long, wide venting sipes.
Have to disagree
Yes the do have long venting sipes.... but they also have fine open sipes, the full width of tyre and on every tread !

Screenshot_20240324_065801_Chrome.jpg

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Have to disagree
Yes the do have long venting sipes.... but they also have fine open sipes, the full width of tyre and on every tread !

View attachment 878702
thanks . I have edited my post to cover the New Cross climate you posted. I think there are now 3 versions. If you include the SUV cross climate +

The original cross climates did not have these. That’s clearly why within a very short production period, the design was modified.

Unlike the Michelin Alpin Winter that has remained unchanged for more than 15 years.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not convinced that you can tell how well a tyre will behave based on looking at the tread pattern.

Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Exactly as I stated, don’t have the best wet grip.

That is, compared to other, comparable all-season tyres I have experienced. Under cornering and acceleration.

Michelin cross climates have a hard rubber composition and the coarse tread pattern has very few or no fine open sipes like some other, all-season winter tyres. They only have long, wide venting sipes.

That’s my humble opinion and I am a bit unsure as to why you question that ?. 🤷‍♂️.

But I have taken the time to justify my opinion to help others make a decision and avoid the great expense along with the hassle I have had to suffer, when complaining to Michelin and the Supplier & fitters.
Because he likes an argument like a few on here. .walk on by my friend

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted the latest Conti cross climate to our Niesmann after the Michelin Agilis, fitted as standard, showed cracking on the side walls. Plenty of tread left, but I felt they needed to be changed. Mileage then was 34000.
So far, so good. One valid point, Continental's tech department were very helpful with advice on the correct tyre pressures for weight.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I fitted the latest Conti cross climate to our Niesmann after the Michelin Agilis, fitted as standard, showed cracking on the side walls. Plenty of tread left, but I felt they needed to be changed. Mileage then was 34000.
So far, so good. One valid point, Continental's tech department were very helpful with advice on the correct tyre pressures for weight.
Suspect you may have your Conti and Michelin tyre confused..
Michelin Agilis ARE Cross Climate tyre..
Conti totally differant..

Aug 14, 2016
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did a deal and supplied the wheels and tires for my 2018 A class 4.5 ton when I purchased it new from the dealer so that, if I needed it,I could increase the payload. To date it has done 21500 miles on the Continental Vanco four season tires with no cracking on the sidewalls. Tread measures 8mm front, 10mm rear, and 12mm on the unused spare. I have not driven on Michelin but the ride is a little hard on the continental.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Suspect you may have your Conti and Michelin tyre confused..
Michelin Agilis ARE Cross Climate tyre..
Conti totally differant..

CrossClimate, CrossClimate2 and CrossClimate+ are Brand Model names used by Michelin for their All-Season Tyres.

I suspect what flyboyprowler means is that he replaced His Michelin Agilis Tyres With Continental All-Season Tyres. Probably ...

VanContact™ 4Season | Continental tires

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back