Compressor fridges (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
No solar panel, only 2 hab batteries. This setup will keep the compressor fridge going for ... how long? 24h or 48h? I really don't know. My needs are an occasional overnight stop without EHU. Which it copes with just fine.

Reliability is a big plus point. There's no need for servicing, or a propane supply. The idea of a gas flame as an inefficient source of heat energy for cooling a fridge does seem outdated. I don't have room for 2 gas bottles anyway.

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Compressor fridge for me. 2 X 100w solar, plus 2 X 135ah batteries. I did fit a clever Dometic MPS35 adapter that automatically switches between 240v and 12v, so that when on hook up it favours that source. Did 5 days in the blistering heat of the Peterborough show, with the fridge on full power and never dropped below 12.5v?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
As built by the major UK manufacturers, motorhomes with a compressor fridge/freezer are only suitable for site use with EHU, unless you upgrade them. I have just spent at least Ā£600 plus a days work installing two 100watt panels, two 100ah AGM's, a new solar regulator and all the wiring plus drilling a hole in the roof.
If they fit a 3 way fridge your good to go from the off.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
As built by the major UK manufacturers, motorhomes with a compressor fridge/freezer are only suitable for site use with EHU, unless you upgrade them. I have just spent at least Ā£600 plus a days work installing two 100watt panels, two 100ah AGM's, a new solar regulator and all the wiring plus drilling a hole in the roof.
If they fit a 3 way fridge your good to go from the off.
Why did you fit AGM batteries?

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
A 3 way will work on multiple source, yes, but one of them is NOT your leisure batteries. They only work on gas, mains electric and whilst actually driving.

With a decent 12V setup, you can easily arrange for ample 12V power for a compressor fridge. Then you don't have to worry about using lots of gas and needing to top it up or find replacement bottles. You can leave the fridge on 24 hours a day for entire seasons for zero cost in fuel or tracking down gas bottles.

That's before looking at the other advantages, such as smaller size for the same volume, better cooling capacity, flexibility on installation location (no outside wall needed), no need to puncture the sides with massive vents, no need for an expensive gas engineer to install/service, no need to fiddle around every time you stop (even with AES you have to remember to turn the gas on, unless you enjoy the peace of mind of driving around with the gas system enabled ready to spew flammable gas over you if you crash).

Obviously, it is not a good idea if your 12V installation isn't up to it and you have to worry about power availability. A compressor fridge would be hopeless for off-grid on the standard manufacturer fitout of an 85Ah lead acid, split charge relay and an 80W solar panel if you're lucky. It is also no good if you like to stay put over winter, where you have no electric hookup, very little solar and are not driving.
Incorrect...mine can also work via extra available power from the solar panels via the batteries...when my batteries are fully charged and the panels are still producing power i can switch to that.... (AES option) which is also available via my Voltronic controller...

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
A 3 way will work on multiple source, yes, but one of them is NOT your leisure batteries. They only work on gas, mains electric and whilst actually driving.

With a decent 12V setup, you can easily arrange for ample 12V power for a compressor fridge. Then you don't have to worry about using lots of gas and needing to top it up or find replacement bottles. You can leave the fridge on 24 hours a day for entire seasons for zero cost in fuel or tracking down gas bottles.

That's before looking at the other advantages, such as smaller size for the same volume, better cooling capacity, flexibility on installation location (no outside wall needed), no need to puncture the sides with massive vents, no need for an expensive gas engineer to install/service, no need to fiddle around every time you stop (even with AES you have to remember to turn the gas on, unless you enjoy the peace of mind of driving around with the gas system enabled ready to spew flammable gas over you if you crash).

Obviously, it is not a good idea if your 12V installation isn't up to it and you have to worry about power availability. A compressor fridge would be hopeless for off-grid on the standard manufacturer fitout of an 85Ah lead acid, split charge relay and an 80W solar panel if you're lucky. It is also no good if you like to stay put over winter, where you have no electric hookup, very little solar and are not driving.
You have also just said it yourself...you need a very good energy producing set up if you intend to do anything other than stay on EHU all the time...., like i said i had one for 5 yrs on a boat.... i had to have loads of solar panels to power everything ...550w....not just the small compressor fridge.....i also didn't have a freezer as that would have been even more... great in the Med with the sun blaring all day long... not so good all year round in the North of England..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Designed for boats where gas is a last resort and payload isn't an issue so a massive bank of batteries is easy.

Like Voltage sensing relays and wireless alarm sensors and they are flogged to us a better when in reality it is simply easier and cheaper for the converters.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You have also just said it yourself...you need a very good energy producing set up if you intend to do anything other than stay on EHU all the time...., like i said i had one for 5 yrs on a boat.... i had to have loads of solar panels to power everything ...550w....not just the small compressor fridge.....i also didn't have a freezer as that would have been even more... great in the Med with the sun blaring all day long... not so good all year round in the North of England..

Every solution needs to be designed as a whole and there's no single setup that will work for everyone. For many, constantly replacing gas cylinders is a chore when they've got free solar. With the 550W, the compressor fridge sounds like it was just a small part of the load. However, a canal boat in winter will always give you issues, as you're not moving and there's no sun and very few electric hookups unless you pay Ā£Ā£Ā£ for a marina berth. Gas starts sounding more appealing.

As for me, I can't sit still. So my system is designed to keep me topped up indefinitely via B2B without solar. As such, I decided against even fitting solar. As my system can keep topped up in winter, it can do so in summer, too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As for me, I can't sit still. So my system is designed to keep me topped up indefinitely via B2B without solar. As such, I decided against even fitting solar. As my system can keep topped up in winter, it can do so in summer, too.
It is only being 'topped up' though because you use your vehicle's engine to do so which is expensive when compared to running it on solar and batteries, and 3-way can use the cheaper LPG as well as 12v from the engine and/or solar.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is only being 'topped up' though because you use your vehicle's engine to do so which is expensive when compared to running it on solar and batteries, and 3-way can use the cheaper LPG as well as 12v from the engine and/or solar.

I'm not running the engine just to charge. Just using journeys that would already be made. I reckon the load on the alternator will be less than the drag from solar panels. For many, that would not be the case.

A 3 way on 12V whilst driving will use 7-8 times as much diesel as a compressor due to their thermometric inefficiency. A 3 way can't typically use solar, as the load is too high for a typical panel setup and they're not wired that way, unless you've made some modifications to use excess solar once the batteries are full.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
In my experience a 3 way fridge is usually better on gas than electricity

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It wasn't to piss lenny off, ::bigsmile: I needed to lay them flat to get two in the space, as Autocruise fitted AGM, I decided to replace with the same. Not a believer in the mantra that AGM's are crap.
I had 1800 amps of Lifeline AGM in my boat for over 5 years before I sold the boat and annual battery tests showed still over 90% capacity. Used with 2 multis in parallel to give 6000 watt of inversion needed for electrohydraulic crane and other kit. Often on anchor charged by generator in 3 hour bursts. Meticulously installed down to matching length cables.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
BTW, I took the opportunity to leave my fridge on after I got back last weekend at about 18:00. Since then, in 96 hours, it's used 66Ah, approximately 17Ah/day, which is better than the 24Ah/day I'd been promised/was hoping for. If I didn't use any other electricity or use any chargers, it should run for two and a half weeks.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I assume you did not open the door for this 96 hours. In normal use opening the door often will not be so good. Interesting though to see how efficient it can be.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I assume you did not open the door for this 96 hours. In normal use opening the door often will not be so good. Interesting though to see how efficient it can be.
It's been opened a few times, but, as you suggest, nowhere near as frequently as when inhabited.

May 21, 2014
Brixham Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria twin
Exp
Over 10 years
The advertisers never tell you the ratio of fridge inner volume to total exterior dimensions If they did one of the main advantages of a compressor fridge would be apparent. I changed a couple of years ago and fitted a large 80 litre fridge with a progressive control so it doesn't keep starting and stopping plus a night setting which allows the temp to come up a bit at night when the fridge door is closed. It was expensive but it is very good, I also fitted it so we lost the small wardrobe, gained a low shoe locker but the fridge is at a waist height so now no more grovelling about to find things which is much better for the over 70s. With a 120w solar panel and a 100Ah house battery it has never been a problem, in the summer the sun is up before us so the voltage is up when we get up. I hadn't appreciated how much heat an absorption fridge leaks out as they are thermally inefficient which makes the van hot in hot weather. Altogether a superb piece of kit. As Ruskin said "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten" Also the fridge is so much bigger and accessible we can even carry a small amount of ice and frozen food. It suits our style of motor-homing perfectly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back