Comparing Off-Grid Touring in Germany, France, and Spain (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have some experience of both countries. Biggest difference is France has a massive and varied coastline where finding places to stop overnight in the popular spots can mean being on crowded aires. Out of season and inland you will have no problem finding places to stop.

I lived in Germany for four years, it's a civilised and organised place but a bit clinical for me these days. And they do like their rules and everyone follows them. It's very different in France. :)

Visit both countries, which you can easily do one one trip, and form your own impressions. ;)

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
One thing worth bearing in mind about Germany (probably covers Austria too) is their definition of "camping". Out of season at least, you can usually get away with parking up for a night even if it says "No Camping". The Germans accept that you might well be just "Resting" and are usually quite tolerant unless you are daft enough to start getting out the table & chairs, not to mention the barbeque.
If you look tidy, are tidy and don't take the p***, you should be fine.
Obviously high season is a different ball game.
We're off to the Pyrenees next week, in a re-run of our first ever moho trip nearly 20 years ago. Been a while, so anyone got any good pointers please?
Cb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
I can’t compare Germany to france because I don’t do france, BUT Germany is excellent for off grid touring via the vast amount of Stellplatz, and I’ve found the Germans nothing but welcoming👍

At least they don’t block off the ports now and again and stop us visiting their country😉😁😁😁
Do you know if most of Stellplatz are wheelchair accessible?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would agree with Lenny HB about the food, it’s dreadful other than the cake :giggle: Everything is just so heavy. I’m not a fussy eater but I feel queasy just thinking about it. Even if you have a side salad it will be like a 70’s English one with a bit of sweetcorn on top and drowned in somesort of sweet dressing yuk.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Just for balance I love schweinhaxen with kartoffelknoedel!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
the food, it’s dreadful other than the cake
Your not wrong🤤🤤🤤
1715003361066.jpeg

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Spain cheepest, Germany next, France the most expensive. We've toured France very extensively, the only difficult area to park is on the south coast & bits of the West coast, Germany pretty easy, North Spain really easy & very cheap. Not done inner or south Spain.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi How does Germany compare to France and Spain for of grid touring?. How are UK motorhome tourers receivedGerman Holidays

German Holiday

We always travel on a Sunday to avoid the traffic and queues at the Dartford Crossing.

We would catch a cheap tunnel crossing at about 8.00 PM going and a cheap return at about 8.00 AM.

Easy overnight stops are at

Grave lines Aire about 7E.

Bray Dunes central carpark FOC.

(Carrefour Supermarket and services nearby)

De Panne just over the border in Belgium is a nice town and seaside resort.

My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany near Aachen and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/zugspitze

We only ever stop at Stellplatz but they usually have all services but often with a small charge

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburging circuit. (25E I think)

The science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim.

The private Technic Museum at Marxzell is not to be missed

The NSU museum at Neckarsulm has the finest collection of motorcycles plus

https://demomu.de/

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum-marxzell.de/

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – and even France last forever and only about 5 euro.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
My insurance specifically excludes cover for the Nurburgring :-;

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Do you know if most of Stellplatz are wheelchair accessible?
Most are as they are car parks, some have dedicated wheelie spaces but not all.....the biggest thing is usually the ground, not all are tarmac or concrete, eg: Heidleberg has gravel, nice stellplatz but impossible to move around as a wheelie.
Google maps is your friend here, change to Satellite View and you can usually tell the makeup of the surface.
We try to have an alternative stellplatz in mind just in case we can't utilise our first option..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back