Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
Inland Waterways
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2015

I suppose I am as guilty as anyone for laughing at someone who trips or stumbles. Just as long as they don't hurt themselves and the only thing bruised is their pride. Today it was deemed to be my long awaited turn - again! The Memsahib had been doing some washing in the machine on the boat. I think she does all this unnecessary washing - just to give herself something to do.

As always happens, the water pump starts to splutter indicating that the fresh tank (480 litres) was nearing empty. So we turned the boat around, and dropped back down through the bottom lock at Hillmorton and stopped at the water point. I had the Memsahib hanging onto the centre line while I tied up the stern. The wind was blowing and the boat acts like a large sail and was pushing the boat off the bank. I could see that the Memsahib was starting to lose the battle. Like all good skippers I came to her rescue.

She has the centre line looped through a ring. I reached for the rope. Which just as I got a good grip of it, suddenly went slack. The Memsahib had let go, the boat was still moving out and I was teetering on the edge. When I felt a couple of hands gave me what felt like a gentle push. Though the Memsahib swears she was trying to stop me from falling in!

The water was surprisingly cold and deep. Thanks go to a family of hire boaters who helped me climb out of the water. Apologies also go to a young lady on a passing boat who was confronted by me in my skimpy budgie smugglers. So stripped off to the near niff and like all good skippers I secured the boat before taking stock of the situation. Pile my wet clothes on deck and go inside for a hot shower. Oh! Sugar - the water tanks empty Back on deck and attach the hose to the tank filler, before going back inside again. Its been six years since I last went for a look under the boat, which was at Sprotborough lock just outside Doncaster.

However, this time I suddenly remembered the last time the Memsahib fell in was in February three years earlier. and by coincidence, was just a few yards away from where we were at Hillmorton bottom lock. She had done the old one leg on the bank and one leg on the boat trick. When she realised that the boat had moved and she was now (in slow motion) beyond the point of no return. So after doing an impromptu forward dive - in the tuck position and a face plant into soft mud. It had all taken place 50 feet along the boat from where I was stood. It was so funny as her arms looked like windmill sails. it could have been worth £250 on you've been framed. I was finding it difficult to hide my chuckles. She was retrieved back on board by the scruff of her life preserver, whilst wearing a brand new but now waterlogged puffer jacket. Glaring, wet, mud spattered and not at all happy.

So now, I'm left wondering, was it coincidence or karma or could there have been an element of revenge.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Surprised u need to ask. What goes around comes around with a little assistance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back