*Cheap* cat 5 tracker? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Anyone know of any cheap cat 5 trackers - e.g. sufficient to meet next years insurance requirements?

I don't want a singing/dancing system/alarm/immob/multi-driver setup - suffice to say I'm not going to post all of whats installed already (including non cat 5 tracker and multiple electronic and physical protection elements) - as if everything bypassed I won't want it back anyway as the van will be in bits.

Its just the cheapest way to to meet the required spec for insurance

(so no interest in growlers, ghosts etc)

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I've got sky tag on a land rover defender and great bit of kit

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi, just looking at their web site and looks like it's not cat 5 sorry. Still might be worth contacting the insurance to see if they will accept it because 24hr monitoring etc.

Cheers

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Depending on the value of your van, it may well be cheaper to shop around for different insurance company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Depending on the value of your van, it may well be cheaper to shop around for different insurance company.
Sadly not, I called around many, and only one required no CAT5 but also had other restrictions. Lack of CAT5 tracker is an issue :(

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Hi, just looking at their web site and looks like it's not cat 5 sorry. Still might be worth contacting the insurance to see if they will accept it because 24hr monitoring etc.

Cheers
Nope, underwriters document requires CAT5 valdated trackers - anything otherwise is unlikely to be approved as the thatcham standard is recognised. Van already has no thatcham tracker.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure that any Cat 5 tracker will be cheap. They have to have 24/7 monitoring by a control centre which involves annual payments.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Not sure that any Cat 5 tracker will be cheap. They have to have 24/7 monitoring by a control centre which involves annual payments.
Everything is relative - I pay for existing tracking - so I'm not worried there is a cost, but would prefer £300 install and £150/y for a basic system over £1200 for a singing and dancing system or something like ghost/strikeback that I just don't want (or need).
So I'm not expecting free or £2/m - I know the ball park and I'm "happy" as I can be, just seeing others with basic CAT5 approved systems rather than googling some random

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My staffie is an excellent cat tracker and lets me know every time one is detected anywhere on the property. He also detects where the cat is and was within seconds

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Everything is relative - I pay for existing tracking - so I'm not worried there is a cost, but would prefer £300 install and £150/y for a basic system over £1200 for a singing and dancing system or something like ghost/strikeback that I just don't want (or need).
So I'm not expecting free or £2/m - I know the ball park and I'm "happy" as I can be, just seeing others with basic CAT5 approved systems rather than googling some random
I don’t think you will need to pay £1200, £400 seems a more typical figure but you may find cheaper if you shop around.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I don’t think you will need to pay £1200, £400 seems a more typical figure but you may find cheaper if you shop around.
Exactly - hence I'm asking here for advice / experience rather than just random googling.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you go on the Thatcham web site, I think you can find a list of all the S5 approved trackers.

Have you tried NFU insurance? My nearly new A-class is parked near the centre of Birmingham and I can still get insurance without a tracker.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020

Cheers
Landrover trackers are fitted by robots in the factory. All put in the same place on the vehicle and thieves know where they are

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Landrover trackers are fitted by robots in the factory. All put in the same place on the vehicle and thieves know where they are
I've been on the line. Most stuff in final assembly is done with humans. Yes, the bit that works as a tracker is the same spot in every car, because it's integrated into the vehicle. Which means if you remove it, it takes several hours of gutting the dash as it's deliberately buried. And you need a replacement that has to be coded by a dealer or the car won't start. Yes, it'll be cracked by crims, but it's nowhere near as trivial as you suggest.

Many modern cars have location aware services built in. Which includes tracker functions as part of the software. Thieves will have to learn new tactics.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
If you go on the Thatcham web site, I think you can find a list of all the S5 approved trackers.

Have you tried NFU insurance? My nearly new A-class is parked near the centre of Birmingham and I can still get insurance without a tracker.
NFU require a full independent build inspection before any quote (due to self build, and after seeing some self builds I can't blame them) so even more hassle, and outside the scope of this thread.
Thatcham website does not give lists of installers/prices and feedback from customers - hence asking here rather than picking some random

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Factory fitted trackers do not always have a Thatcham Cat 5 rating. Also watch out for the lower standard Cat6/S7 which may not meet all insurance companies requirements.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
NFU require a full independent build inspection before any quote (due to self build, and after seeing some self builds I can't blame them) so even more hassle, and outside the scope of this thread.
I think NFU have also got jumpy about some modifications, particularly roof mounted solar panels. There are reports of them requiring inspections of these modifications on other motorhomefun threads. Perhaps they have had bad experiences with flying panels.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I think NFU have also got jumpy about some modifications, particularly roof mounted solar panels. There are reports of them requiring inspections of these modifications on other motorhomefun threads. Perhaps they have had bad experiences with flying panels.
Yep, and can't blame them. Many self-professed experts out there who are quoted/followed by newbies, with very dodgy electrics/gas/securing internal/external items and even mods to disable safety and emissions systems. All fine until it isn't. Of course, my opinion of my build quality/safety is only my opinion so no doubt others will judge, but no way I'd want to insure any one elses self build without at least a visible inspection. Thats for another thread :)

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Just a thought, when I got a quote from LV yesterday they didn't want to know about the tracker I'm paying to have installed, and a dash cam would make no difference, so they might be worth a try?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back