LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The justification for free Aires has gone... ie motorhomers will spend money in the locality. How many funsters boast how little they've spent in the weeks, months spent in France?

The main importance is that we have a choice of where to stop.
I only tour the UK but use a mixture of C&CC sites (shock horror but some are really good value), Britstops, and rallies. Just learning about THS's

The point is, land isn't free, maintenance isn't free and the odd purchase of a baguette isn't going to cut it.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The point is, land isn't free, maintenance isn't free and the odd purchase of a baguette isn't going to cut it.
Correct, one of the things I disagree with CaMPRA is the amount they tell councils people spend, we hardly eat out etc. We are in France at the moment using mostly aires but a site here and there, apart from diesel and food shopping we've only spent the odd ā‚¬ on bread, would have had a beer or 2 but at ā‚¬8 a pint no thanks. Majority of aires have been paid so no guilt but I wonder if in our village the council said we are going to pay to build an Aire with free water and dumping of grey and black waste plus rubbish collection and let people in 150k motorhome stay for free just in case they buy a pint in the pub or a paper in the village shop and by the way your council tax will go up to pay fir it and maintain it. That's where CCP are good, they remove the burden from the locals who then get an income from the paying customer.

By the way THS are great, good value and normally in places you want to be just like Aires here.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The justification for free Aires has gone... ie motorhomers will spend money in the locality. How many funsters boast how little they've spent in the weeks, months spent in France?

I only tour the UK but use a mixture of C&CC sites (shock horror but some are really good value), Britstops, and rallies. Just learning about THS's

Correct, one of the things I disagree with CaMPRA is the amount they tell councils people spend, we hardly eat out etc. We are in France at the moment using mostly aires but a site here and there, apart from diesel and food shopping we've only spent the odd ā‚¬ on bread, would have had a beer or 2 but at ā‚¬8 a pint no thanks. Majority of aires have been paid so no guilt but I wonder if in our village the council said we are going to pay to build an Aire with free water and dumping of grey and black waste plus rubbish collection and let people in 150k motorhome stay for free just in case they buy a pint in the pub or a paper in the village shop and by the way your council tax will go up to pay fir it and maintain it. That's where CCP are good, they remove the burden from the locals who then get an income from the paying customer.

By the way THS are great, good value and normally in places you want to be just like Aires here.

We have just spent 10 weeks in France and Germany, mostly France, and have spent ā‚¬4,000. No campsites, but total of ā‚¬30 for parking.

It is no longer in my pocket/bank, so must be in the 'Local Economies' somewhere.

InvictaMoto

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
A new one opened in Lorca in Murcia Province last week. A friend that has lived in Murcia since the late 80's says that it is a vast improvement on the free one that the local council didn't want to look after. People moaning they have to pay now.

Personally, like the one at Bray Dunes, you do tend to know what you are getting. Decent surface, ehu and the services for not that much in reality. Even then they moan about the ehu inclusive price. Easy. Go somewhere else.

Some though aren't that marvellous like Souillac - a muddy space with what looks like dossers camped with awnings and crap piled up....

I agree with some previous posts. I pay for a CCP anything from ā‚¬10 to ā‚¬15 a night plus the local tax that goes to the town. I often shop locally whilst there and always at the local supermarket. Some argue that Auchan is a national company, but it employs local people earning a wage. No shop. No wages.

CCP doesn't own the sites either... check the reviews and if something is wrong they say they will pass it on to the owner/managers....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We use CCP and find them good value and well maintained, much better in some cases than when owned by the local council.
As for the spread of managed aires, if you were not aware of the Aire Park Reservation network, here it is, much, much larger than CCP. 1,500 sites with or without resrvation. https://www.aireparkreservation.com/
View attachment 616332
An app for these would be really useful. Some seemed to be service points rather than aires.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
We stayed on the CCP site at AMNEVILLE by the mega leisure village. CCP had obviously had problems with FLTs at that site because the cold water fill could only be used by touching your membership card against the bollard and then pressing the open switch. The pitch was 13 euros. Cheapskates are everywhere!
It's one of quite a few i used this year , most less than Ā£10 per night and noticed the newer terminals you had to swipe you card for water. Found the camping mon village were quite decent sites as they were ajoined to campsites or ex campsites .

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
We have just spent 10 weeks in France and Germany, mostly France, and have spent ā‚¬4,000. No campsites, but total of ā‚¬30 for parking.

It is no longer in my pocket/bank, so must be in the 'Local Economies' somewhere.
Most is diesel for us.......

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002

Yes, I've never understood the culture of owners in expensive mohos boasting that they've had a holiday on a public car park for free. Weird logic .

InvictaMoto

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I have that and it is very good šŸ‘.

It was the other link AireParkReservation that Kups mentioned that seems to be website only - no app.
Can you actually reserve on the Aire Park website. I find it to be very amateur compared to the CCP website...

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018

I have to say having strong views on Aires when not travelling to Europe is slightly odd!

Nonetheless Iā€™m with nicholsong in that I spend Ā£2000+ each month Iā€™m abroad so it must end up some where. I also feel, particularly in France, culturally they have a different view on providing facilities for the greater good than we now have in the UK. The numerous cycle ways, outdoor gyms, parks, footpaths, childrens play grounds etc, etc which are provided are testament to a slightly, I would say better, approach to life in general.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

Campra obtained their data by carrying surveys.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Can you actually reserve on the Aire Park website. I find it to be very amateur compared to the CCP website...
some you can some you can't. I have used a few Beaune you just turn up ,Arras you cant book and the one at Dijon has gone back to being run by the campsite.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'll not get into any discussion on that Lenny, many, many threads on the subject, we can just agree to differ.

Indeed, however I canā€™t recall any correlation with the value of folks MHs. Besides, how could you tell?

Ian

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Diesel still goes into the National economy, some to pay local operatives and some in taxes to fund social welfare in the country.

In our case, as we do not move far in a day, most was spent on food and wine, either in restaurants or to cook 'in-doors'
We've been away nearly 3 weeks and spent about 1k. Like you ours is diesel and food/alcohol in supermarkets and bakers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back