M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We need carpets cutting and unfortunately don’t have all of the originals to template but do have a carpet fitter on hand when needed. Plan is to have them cut to shape, 0.5cm from edges and have them whipped/bound round the edge.

I have some hessian backed off cuts at home I could use but also have the option of gel backed as I have my offices being carpeted shortly, any ideas on which backing is best?

Our old van was hessian backed held down with studs but was hoping to not use studs this time. Will hessian slip around, will gel back stay put better?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fitted a rubber backed ribbed polypropylene carpet.. it's easy to keep clean ..doesn't absorb water, non slip and does not need whipped ..

bought from an 'end of roll' carpet shop ..

also used it to replace old wall lining

IMG_1610.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We need carpets cutting and unfortunately don’t have all of the originals to template but do have a carpet fitter on hand when needed. Plan is to have them cut to shape, 0.5cm from edges and have them whipped/bound round the edge.

I have some hessian backed off cuts at home I could use but also have the option of gel backed as I have my offices being carpeted shortly, any ideas on which backing is best?

Our old van was hessian backed held down with studs but was hoping to not use studs this time. Will hessian slip around, will gel back stay put better?
I find whipped edges a pain. They wear first and are easily dirtied. For our MH I used a secondary backed carpet. I sealed the edges at low level using a hot melt gun with a rubberised adhesive stick in it. Much neater. I also put a grid of the same adhesive across the back and it helps prevent it skidding. With a gel back, it is possible to get staining transferring to the surface of what I guess is vinyl on the floor. A lot depends on the type of gel it is. I spent my working life in the flooring industry. Hope this is of assistance to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: M-J
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I find whipped edges a pain. They wear first and are easily dirtied. For our MH I used a secondary backed carpet. I sealed the edges at low level using a hot melt gun with a rubberised adhesive stick in it. Much neater. I also put a grid of the same adhesive across the back and it helps prevent it skidding. With a gel back, it is possible to get staining transferring to the surface of what I guess is vinyl on the floor. A lot depends on the type of gel it is. I spent my working life in the flooring industry. Hope this is of assistance to you.

The gel back version is a commercial twist pile, I assume similar to modern pub carpets

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
The gel back version is a commercial twist pile, I assume similar to modern pub carpets
It really depends on the quality of the gel. Products of that nature are usually designed to be fully adhered. Whilst the hot-melt should, in theory, prevent the pile and the primary backing from fraying, you may find that in high traffic areas the gel backing breaking down a bit. If I was going to use a gel back, I would probably whip (overlock) the edges. It certainly shouldn't skid around though. Just be careful that is doesn't sweat and stain the vinyl flooring. If you can, try to get a carpet with solution-dyed yarn. It has much higher resistance to staining, and usually cleans easily. Go for nylon fibre as opposed to polypropylene as the latter crushes more when trafficked.
I hope you are still awake! Riveting stuff innit? Good luck. 👍

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
It really depends on the quality of the gel. Products of that nature are usually designed to be fully adhered. Whilst the hot-melt should, in theory, prevent the pile and the primary backing from fraying, you may find that in high traffic areas the gel backing breaking down a bit. If I was going to use a gel back, I would probably whip (overlock) the edges. It certainly shouldn't skid around though. Just be careful that is doesn't sweat and stain the vinyl flooring. If you can, try to get a carpet with solution-dyed yarn. It has much higher resistance to staining, and usually cleans easily. Go for nylon fibre as opposed to polypropylene as the latter crushes more when trafficked.
I hope you are still awake! Riveting stuff innit? Good luck. 👍

Thank you for the info, if gel carpet can be whipped then it’s probably going to be the best option for us, less likely to slip, won’t scratch underneath and fingers crossed no staining (the backing is a nude colour similar to the existing vinyl)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for the info, if gel carpet can be whipped then it’s probably going to be the best option for us, less likely to slip, won’t scratch underneath and fingers crossed no staining (the backing is a nude colour similar to the existing vinyl)
Yes, normally Gel backed carpets can be whipped. The main thing that sweats it is if you clean the floor and put the carpets straight back down on it before it has fully dried. The odds are that you will be lifting and moving them fairly regularly for general cleaning. That will move air under them.

• Thanks
Reactions: M-J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back