Camping in the forest, New forest (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Currently staying at roundhill near Brockenhurst on a camping in the forest site, and have to say very impressed, about £14pn, basic facilities - portal loo type toilets, but plenty of water points.

Open location surrounded by forest very quiet and loads of space, ponies and cattle walking through.

A little isolated, so bikes are useful, but close to Brockenhurst, Beaulieu etc.

Very impressed and will return, because of the room, I don't think there is need to book.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Previous years it's a big site I think close to 500 pitches and could be rammed. But back then they had toilet and shower facilities. Those had to be dismantled at end of each season for planning environment reasons so finally fell apart during covid.

For a while it had been advertised with no facilities but pricing didn't fully drop to levels of the other no facility sites like Denny Wood. Consequently it has been quieter.

I think the new operators were looking to get showers back but obviously not this year.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Currently staying at roundhill near Brockenhurst on a camping in the forest site, and have to say very impressed, about £14pn, basic facilities - portal loo type toilets, but plenty of water points.

Open location surrounded by forest very quiet and loads of space, ponies and cattle walking through.

A little isolated, so bikes are useful, but close to Brockenhurst, Beaulieu etc.

Very impressed and will return, because of the room, I don't think there is need to book.
Do you have a link please ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Previous years it's a big site I think close to 500 pitches and could be rammed. But back then they had toilet and shower facilities. Those had to be dismantled at end of each season for planning environment reasons so finally fell apart during covid.

For a while it had been advertised with no facilities but pricing didn't fully drop to levels of the other no facility sites like Denny Wood. Consequently it has been quieter.

I think the new operators were looking to get showers back but obviously not this year.
Speaking to the wardens they mentioned a change of owners, and said they were looking to reinstate the showers, but think they may have already run out of money....

Hopefully they won't add showers as that will bump the price up, for something we won't use.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Forestry Commission own the land. Sites until last year were operated by the C&CC who had a majority partnership with Forestry Commission. That came to an end and all sites were retendered. New operator in the New Forest for the sites there is the same people who operate the showground.

Bookings may have suffered this year as between operators they used Pitchup and pricing was very high and probably deterred. Now it has dropped to similar to when with the C&CC, but perhaps too late for this year to catch up.

If you are about to book, do sign up for newsletter on the Campinginnewforest site. Certainly earlier this year it gave you a discount code.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Is that the one just down the road from the CMHC site at Black Knowl?
Yes, but don't tell anyone that. Aldridge Hill has the shortest season of any of them, couple of weeks in May then closed for a lot of June to protect bird nesting on the adjacent ground (apparently they aren't disturbed by / recognise the ponies as no threat, but humans / dogs are different and they fly off not necessarily returning), and then open July & August. No amenity other than water, refuse and chemical disposal, but some of the views and access to the adjacent heathland is great.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Yes, but don't tell anyone that. Aldridge Hill has the shortest season of any of them, couple of weeks in May then closed for a lot of June to protect bird nesting on the adjacent ground (apparently they aren't disturbed by / recognise the ponies as no threat, but humans / dogs are different and they fly off not necessarily returning), and then open July & August. No amenity other than water, refuse and chemical disposal, but some of the views and access to the adjacent heathland is great.
Yes, haven’t stayed there but stumbled on it walking back from Brockenhurst along the river to Black Knowl a few years back. Lovely location. Dont worry, I won’t tell anybody.

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Just cycled round to Aldridge, it is rammed, full of tuggers, and screaming kids, doesn't seem to be any wildlife on site, we'll stick to roundhill, much quieter, also has toilet facilities.

Just got back to be met with some visitors:

IMG_20230725_130523.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Stayed there 3 weeks ago paid £13 a night.
1690289817339.png

1690289835802.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back