Boxer 2008 MOT Advisory "Rear Susp Prescribed Area damaged" (1 Viewer)

Dionysius

Free Member
Jul 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
Looking to buy a van - seen a van I like look of but its some distance away and the only one of this specific model within our price range.

Its a Boxer 2008 MWB panel Van.

Checked MOT History Online and theres a slightly strange advisory from last year and 1,000 miles ago

"
  • Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area damaged but not considered excessive all (5.3.6 (a) (i))"
Ive seen "prescribed area corroded but not excessive" meaning rust but not "damaged"

As far as I am aware this newer shape of Boxer are galvanised so dont suffer the corrosion/rust issues that the earlier shape ones do.

Any ideas what this advisory could be ?

Dorsnt appear on the next advisory.

Photos of van look extremely clean no rust or other damage I can see on exterior in fact whole van looks mint.

Has done about 80,000 miles.

What is this likely to be and should it concern me ?

Dont want to travel a huge distance to find its rusted out underneath or some other hidden structural damage underneath

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Get them to photograph under the van in the prescribed area for you to check first,
It could be mechanical damage or corrosion,

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Maybe dinged one of the leaf spring attachment points on a high kerb?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
It does seem an odd advisory. I wonder if a jack has been put in the wrong place at some time.
Our first van conversion rotted around the rear spring hanger mounting because the shower drain was leaking. Being under the shower tray we knew nothing about it until the rust appeared underneath.

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
As above. Get them to photograph the area. Lots of photos. Or even a video of them prodding the area with a screwdriver.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it's had another mot since I would say whatever it was has been put right.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It does seem an odd advisory. I wonder if a jack has been put in the wrong place at some time.
Our first van conversion rotted around the rear spring hanger mounting because the shower drain was leaking. Being under the shower tray we knew nothing about it until the rust appeared underneath.

Jacking damage was the first thing that came to my mind. As others have said, ask about advisory and get photographs, good luck!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would say it means the area has been bent out of shape somehow either by jacking or having been hit off something, hard to say without seeing it. Advisories are just that though , advising something is not entirely as it should be but are not serious enough to cause concern and these days I think many mot inspectors feel they have to advise of something just to confirm they've checked the vehicle. Some of them are ridiculous at times.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If it's had another mot since I would say whatever it was has been put right.
Or it was motd by a less pedantic inspector

I'm quite lucky the garage I use to mot my cars doesn't put advisories on the system he just tells you about them .

The one that does my campers rarely will see the same van more than once šŸ¤£

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Think Iā€™d also want a sneaky look at the tyre associated with the area. If there has been any kind of structural impact, jacking etc, then Iā€™d want to know the wheels still running true in alignment.

Had an old Hillman Hunter 1725 offered me once and cheap as it had taken an impact over a high kerb. Looked great straight on, but when the steering was turned, you could see the wheel go out of alignment.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Or it was motd by a less pedantic inspector

I'm quite lucky the garage I use to mot my cars doesn't put advisories on the system he just tells you about them .

The one that does my campers rarely will see the same van more than once šŸ¤£
Yes agree but I thought once it was logged on to the mot computer it stayed on and would be looked at again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back