Booking Ferries In Calais Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Could anyone advise if it's best to book a ferry from Calais to Dover online when in France or just turn up at the port and book? Wondering which would be cheaper and would you need to print a ticket if booked online? What do others do about printing stuff when away ? We found campsites will do it but as ACSI time ends and we are on the aires I guess a cyber cafe would have to be found ????
Can you tell we are newbies ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about ferries but the tunnel is far cheaper if you do it online, even if you are in the terminal use their wifi , it's cheaper than going to the desk and letting them do it and you don't need a printed ticket, they just use number plate recognition or the card you payed with.
But as I say this is tunnel don't know if the ferry is the same.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We book online, just keep confirmation email in case. Just returned via Dieppe/newhaven with pet. At check in handed over passports and no paperwork or booking reference was asked for. Done this at Caen and Calais. I believe its cheaper to book online than at the port.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Another vote for online booking. No confirmation needed as they have numberplate recognition but I keep the confirmation email just in case.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
It will always be more expensive if you just turn up at Calais rather than book online. Be aware that both P & O and (more so) DFDS hike their prices for booking online for sailings within 24 hours.
If you go online in France with a UK sim card you will get the .co.uk verson of P & O but if you use (say) McDonalds wifi you will be on the .fr version and it will be priced in euro's and probably cheaper.
We use a tablet so that when the ferry company send you the confirmation email you can pick it up on your tablet and just show this at check in. Belt & Braces policy; I always make a note of the booking number on paper just in case.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We to booked our return fare yesterday for the 27 June. A considerable saving, if you compare the on day purchase price.

As said, we also used tablet, via free wifi from campsite.

Have the confirmation email, plus made a note of the booking number. I doubt it will be needed as there nprc will identify us as we approach the checkin.

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Thanks so much folks, will book online in euros a week before
Anyone know how much more expensive the tunnel is than the ferry. ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks so much folks, will book online in euros a week before
Anyone know how much more expensive the tunnel is than the ferry. ?
It varies. Best bet is to get a price for the ferry, then try the tunnel.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK. Others may have more up to date info, but when I last compared a couple of years ago it was about £30 more expensive. We think it is worth that because it is so much nicer staying in the motorhome - I usually have lie down on the bed.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Can only speak for the tunnel but there is normally a considerable difference between fares over a 24 hour period. On line you can see this and time your arrival to suit. Having said that they are very accommodating should you arrive earlier or later.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It's worth bearing in mind that when looking for the online prices, if you return to the same website to place your booking the prices may be higher. They can tell from your cookies that you have been on the site and returned to it. It's worth deleting your cookies (not disable them) before doing this.

Wyn

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have just returned by ferry from Durkerque it is usually a few pound cheaper than Calais, we booked a few days in advance through the Caravan Club online we got a fare of £27.50 for a 7 metre van.
We were allowed to travel on the earlier ferry at no extra cost.
You can now stay overnight at the termainal for 15 days!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back