Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Anyone have a mazda bongo or know anything about them?
My daughter is thinking about getting one for her ,hubby and Stanley the border terrier
any comments welcome, cheers.:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,had one here for about5 yrs .its a tintop that i use a full length roof rack and over tent . great little vans . you need to join bongo fury if she gets one . spares are ok .eitherr through thefury club or i use bongo bits in plymouth. mine isnt converted but makes a sleeping bed by laying all the back rests down . not perfect but it works . i also pull a teardrop caravan with it .heres a few of mine . the other brighter green is the most wanted colour of them all . its a mates in bodmin .real cracker it is.these were taken a the southwest bongo bash a few years ago. but googlebongo fury .ian that runs it is a great guy . in fact the whole bongo lot are real good crowd . just like the folk on here. always having a laugh.

Attachments

• Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Bongo tripsept 09 008.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 008.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Bongo tripsept 09 016.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 016.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
samany

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Thats great info Vwalan many thanks, I've already told my daughter she's googling
right now as will I. all the best samany.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi,,,,, If you PM member (Fullmoon)... he has one..

And will tell you all you need to know... His is a 4 wheeled drive diesal.. :thumb:

PS... Fullmoon`s is the same as vwallen`s third photo..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi their bongo meets take me back to the early vw meets we used to have ,not as big as the modern vw meets but all join in and have a good time . ian is a great laugh . most know mine its the only one with a roof tent . hee hee . always different never join the crowd. they are a bit small but for weekends or that camping hoilday ok. a few tow folding caravans as well. i tried it but prefer the teardrop. good hunting . there are some good bargains out there.

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
I bought one and it blew the engine after 3 weeks! I am currently trying to ascertain why? So far all I have gleaned unanimously from the various 'experts' I've approached is that they are difficult to work on because the engine is mid mounted i.e. inboard.
My advice is be very careful who you buy it from and get a warranty. I went wrong on both counts......
So far possible diagnosis includes oil pump failure, torque converter failure and timing belt fault? All/any other suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated as well as agree/disagree debate.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I had one for a while, great little van, but too small for us, ended up towing a caravan with it!. Engines generally good but can suffer overheating, then warped cylinder head. An "early warning" kit of parts is available and well worth fitting, and not too expensive, certainly cheaper than a blown engine. As previously said, join Bongo Fury forum, they know ALL the problems and how to sort them out.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My brother bought one with a warped head but as a mechanic he expected to sort it out very easily, wrong! He's had one problem after another and spent a massive amount of time sourcing parts. Buyer beware.

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
Hi, I had one for 6 yrs and really enjoyed it. used as a second car as well as a camper. It was 4x4 (could go anywhere) and fully converted. was a bit small for living in so had a side tent which fitted over the sliding door, which then made it near perfect. Things to watch out for - cooling system over heating (which can lead to warped cylinder heads and the rest of the probs listed above). Go thro' Bongo fury website and buy from a reputable dealer or private sale thro' bongofury and preferably one with a Hayden alarm fitted (warns about low coolant) or have one fitted asap.

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
I had a Bongo for 5 years .2.5TD 2wd auto. Was a N reg 1995. Sold it 3 yrs ago & then built Herman .
It was a full conversion with rock n roll bed , Fridge , 3 ring hob , storage , the usual electric roof , built in blinds , air con etc
Was a great little camper . It drove like a car and just fitted in multi-storey car parks & under the height restriction barriers .
Problems with them now are they are all getting old and very few newer models are imported as they are now expensive due to the exchange rate etc.
They suffer from cracking cyclinder heads , which mine did & cost over a grand to sort . But as previously mentioned , the Bongo forums are brilliant for advice & part easy to obtain on Ebay & other online dealers (new & s.hand)
I would still recommend one , but be careful on what you buy ......lots of bad ones out there . But good ones are great !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back