body panels, why taking so long? (1 Viewer)

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
:Angry:When I bought my motorhome in february, a Ci Riviera 181, I travelled to a dealer 150miles from my home. The rear bumper and the side panels that are attached to the bumper were damaged, but they were replacing them. when I picked up the van, it hadnt been done due to a delay, but they would be sent to me. When I received them, only the bumper was there, wrong colour!, the other parts were missing. Its now mid may and no sign, the dealer tells me that these things do take months to source. There have been a long list of niggly things, leisure battery turned out to be a car battery, a cap missing on the roof letting in water and writing appearing on the bonnet in wet weather offering the van for rental, I was never told of its history.
Can anyone confirm that these body panels do take months to arrive, as i'm starting to feel that i've been taken for a ride. Thought, being new to motorhoming, that if I bought from a dealer i'd be ok.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ring the manufacturer and ask them how long it takes to get the replacement parts you need. This will give you a starting point with the dealer. Ask the dealer for the order number of the parts on order and ask the manufacturer if this is correct and when the order was placed along with any delays and reasons.

Dont believe a word the dealer tells you, if he opening his mouth its probably a lie, confirm everything he says with the manufacturer and then go in all guns blazing with the facts, do not be fobbed off and given the run around stand your ground and ask for some dates in writing for the work to be completed.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
dealers are proffesional bullshitters, i'm sure they take a city and guilds course in the subject :ROFLMAO:

at the end of the day, the salesman is there to make his money from selling vehicles, if he was honnest about every fault, he'd never make his money,
BUT buyers are also a pain in the bum, expecting a rolls royce for reliant robin money, so i can kind of see why some dealers get the way they are.

appologies to the good dealers who never ever 'overlook' a fault they know about, or stretch the truth a little to make the vehicle sound perfect for the buyer.

but yes, pannels for motorhome do take absolutely ages to arrive, there's tons of stories about of people waiting 6 or more months for panels,
your lucky that the vehicle is still useable, i've heard of motorhomes with dammage that takes the vehicle off the road, being stuck in a body shop all summer waiting for the panels,

i personaly would not be happy at being sold an ex rental motorhome, unless the price reflected this, the things i've seen renters do to motorhomes would make you cringe, they just dont care, they dont need to, it's not their vehicle, so it's not their fault, or problem when they fill the water tank up with fuel, drive off with the aerial up and rip it off on overhanging branches, yank the toilet cassette out without operating the release, run the batteries flat thinking they can use electric as they would at home and so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
To be honest, if i'd known it was ex-rental I wouldnt have bought it either. The logbook had a private persons name on it but the writing on the bonnet gives the contact details of the dealer that I bought it off!!

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
that is a bummer,

what does the dealer have to say about it? i'd be asking for my dosh back, but i doubt he'd do that.

that it's ex rental explains the starter battery for the house loads, renters would have knackered the leisure battery, and they stuck what ever they had to hand in it's place,

dont forget to demand that the bonnet and any other places that sign writing was attatched to be proffesionaly polished out or re-sprayed,

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It can be quite difficult to get hold of the right person at the dealers and in hindsight, buying from somewhere 150 miles from home was a bad idea. I've also had a parking camera and satellite dome fitted, so i'm a bit loathed to push for a refund.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
personaly i would be glad i had a car battery instead of a leisure battery .i find car ones much better. as for the bonnet how do you know it hasnt been changed ?did you or have you asked the dealer about this. it may be they just put a seconhand one on for some reason . a secondhand camper as usually got faults you have to have a good inspection before you buy, was there a leisure battery when you looked?as for the roof have you told the dealer ?he may not have known, it was on the roof.
also did you ask about the history, were you lied to.
some panels for m,homes are very difficult to get even fromthe manufacturer its a body shop nightmare.there are many good dealers out there if there wasnt why do people keep using dealers. usually so they can blame somebody else for their not inspecting the vehicle properly. if you want perfect buy new .then you can demand things be as new.
cheers alan.

OP
OP
I

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Out of interest, has anyone had any dealings with Elite Motorhomes, Banbury?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All my hire vans are registered in the Company name and address, end off.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back