Free Member
Nov 10, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
Hi all,

I'm Dave and my partner is Debs. We hope to be buying a MH in the New Year with a view to taking a year out of life and touring the continent. It's a big step and we're really looking forward to it but we've so many questions and kinda dont know where to start.

The first question would be what MH would you guys recommend on a £10,000 budget and realistically what type of spec can we expect from that budget? and the final question for the moment is what insurance should we be looking at getting for traveling through 10+ countries on the continent?

Apologies if these questions are in the wrong place and please relocate if necessary.

Thanks in advance

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello. Do lots of research, visit lots of dealers and of course the good old interweb. Enjoy your search and your year out :welc:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi to you both.....I would just say look at as many as you can so that you can decide on the right layout for you. Especially important if you're going to be living in it for a year.

ourtour.co.uk makes an interesting read(y)

The search facility on here is brilliant too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Quick answer on the insurance is it is easier if you stay in the EU as many policies will include this cover although you will need to check the fine print. Premium will vary depending on your history, anything under £300 would be good.

As to type of motorhome it depends entirely on what you want. You could buy MHs of every conceivable size and spec within your budget. Only age and condition will differ.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi welcome to fun, first of all you have found the best place for the information and banter thrown in, just a few ideas there will be more along I am sure,

For about £10,ooo worth looking at could be a older Hymer 93 A class well built and if you can find a good one worth consideration.

As long as you have a permeant address things are easier and there is a good section on the forum on insurance though if you are thinking of going to Morocco you will need one to issue you with a green card.

Keep asking questions, read blogs it's all on here. Good luck.:welc:

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
:welc:Hi, Yes look at lots of Motorhome as there so many diff layouts. Take your time

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
:welc: You will find so many answers just from browsing posts on this forum. Look at the insurance section and continental touring etc. Fun is the bible of all things motorhoming. Have fun :laughing:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi Dave and Debs
Insurance will be as good if not better than a car price wise. You can add eurpoean cover when you need it. Just use a dedicated caravan/motorhome insurer not one of the normal companies that think they know how to insure a MH. You may not get the right cover. If you do go on the continent - and beleieve me once you evengo over the channel to france you wont look back - think if recovery. You will be able to get recovery for your van in the even of a breakdown.

10k should get you a fairly decent van but i think you would need to be able to sort out issues yourself when little things go wrong - with little help from us on here of course.

Have a look on places like ebay or auto trader and get an ideal of prices, layouts and facilities before you go looking as you can trawl all over the country looking and still not find anything.

Sme things to consider
I always say think about your lifesytle when choosing layouts. How will you live your day to day routine. If for example you like to spend days lolling about relaxing and evenings watching TV then you might need a van with nice big seats to lie on. Do you prefer to eat and cook in the van? Then you need a van with plenty of workspace to prepare food and a nice oven - perhaps full size with a grill and a larger fridge (fridges are nore inportant then ovens). The cooks amongst us will tell you Motorhomes are not designed by cooks or with cooking in mind. The loo is next to the kitchen? not very good if cook is busy and people are to-ing and fro -ing past them.

Sleeping. Do you have to make a bed up every night. ? It might seem ok but it can become a chore if done long term so condier a fixed or drop down bed, on an ovcercab double to can leave made up.

Got a big rotweiller? Then you need perhaps more floor space as if its piddling down and the big lug is lay on the floor for you to trip over.

I have never been to a motorhome facts rally but have been to many other rallies. This is the place to look at vans and talk to owners. Most if not all motorhomers will be pleased to show you round their van if you popped youir head in and asked .

Take your time and use your intuition. But if the van your loking at sems right then go for it.

Have happy times wherever you go
Phill

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome to Fun and your new adventure. Can only agree with previous posters but attending a FUN rally will show you more vans and give you more info before you start trawling the dealers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back