Best way to get dirhams (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
What do people use in Morocco, or before going, to get dirhams in their hands once they are there?

Jul 20, 2019
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur LVX855 A
Exp
Since 2001
When we went a few years ago they were easy to get at any bank using our debit card or exchanging Euros.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In the 70's I made several business trips to Rabat and Casablanca and bought dirhams at the airport but it wasn't possible to change leftover money back to a European currency at the bank or airport bureau de change when I left.
I've had a few of the notes in a drawer for around 45 years.

I also travelled with packets of Marlborough cigarettes lining the bottom of my briefcase to ease my way through the airport 'officials' random checks.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you're buying your ferry tickets from Voyages Normandie (i.e. Carlos) they usually have dirhams available, although strictly speaking as it's a prohibited currency they shouldn't. He'll be charging a premium though.
We've always found the best way is to stop at the various Bureaux de Change offices just after clearing Customs at Tanger-Med and exchange euros we've also used pounds sterling as well). It's a managed rate throughout the country so despite the touts saying "best rate" they're all actually the same. They'll also change unused dirhams back into Euros on your return but obviously the rate isn't as good.
As for in-country ATMs are available in most of the larger towns. We've found banks don't do exchange, but a main Post Office will. Never tried withdrawals. Some touristy towns have bureaux de change. Last visit credit/debit cards were still not widely used except in larger garages and supermarkets, cash is still king (and the only way if you want to haggle!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
It’s been a few years but we found banks in even fairly remote places that would change Euros and pounds. These days I would load up the Revolut card and use an atm

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
It’s been a few years but we found banks in even fairly remote places that would change Euros and pounds. These days I would load up the Revolut card and use an atm
I'm not really understanding the Revolut business. Could you please clue me in on how the Revolut is different/better than just using my UK debit card in an ATM?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I'm not really understanding the Revolut business. Could you please clue me in on how the Revolut is different/better than just using my UK debit card in an ATM?
Exchange your pounds to dirhams at a generally excellent rate on Revolut, buy something using the card and you are buying it in local currency rather than using your UK card at lower rates with conversion fees.
If you have the basic card, you can use it 5 times in a rolling month up to a total value of £200 at an ATM after which it incurs fees.You don't get stung by conversion fees.
Less basic Revolut cards you can get more cash out.
It's very quick to exchange pounds for another currency on the app
Plus if you are organised and only have more or less the minimum amount you might need on the card, if you lose it etc. it's no great drama.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Rav4 w/Tentbox
With Revolut in mind can you use the Tap to pay / Apple pay anywhere?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You will need cash, cards are accepted all over but be aware, many places especially certain garages, won’t take cards in my experience. Cash exchange at the Port was just as good as the bank I found.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
With Revolut in mind can you use the Tap to pay / Apple pay anywhere?
Not many places at all. We've managed to use revolut card at about 10% of garages, Marjane, Carrefour, Idou. No campsites, no restaurants. You need a card you can withdraw cash with.

I tried to go down a card payment lane on the toll road and was told that they only take Moroccan issued cards.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is the best method.

keith12345 can I suggest looking/posting on Morocco 23 thread will bring most responses.

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
When you swap your phone sim to the Moroccan sim, Marroc telecom for example, can you still load funds onto the Revolut card?

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Starling gives good rate on ATM dirham withdrawal. Only fly is the ~35Dirham charge. So encouraging 2000 withdrawal
On 13/3/24 2000MAD cost £159.47 so 12.541 to the £

12.7861MAD to the £ with 39MAD or Dirham charge

If you can regularly beat that I will follow.

NEVER take cash conversion unless you think bankers are underpaid.

If you're worried about carrying that amount of cash came across a quite elderly couple who regularly drew out 3000 in the small town where they were overwintering.

This was just before market shopping where they were treated royally because everyone knew they were loaded with notes. I think it encouraged them to stay.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Just back from Marocco yesterday.

We did a round the whole country trip and outside of the main towns we found we needed cash and that cards were not always accepted.

Indeed even in Marrakech, the restaurant wanted cash for our meal (with alcohol)- I suspect that Ramadan having just started might have had something to do with that.

FYI
When changing into Dirhams at the main airport kiosk, folks were being offered (badgered really) a preloaded card. We opted for cash much to the shagrin of the teller who literally threw it at us, but those we spoke to said that provided you found the correct number for the pin ( the paperwork was apparently ‘confusing’) - the card worked pretty well and no commission charged.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
I was in Morroco in Dec 23 couldn’t use my Revolut card in motorway tolls or shops! Best advice is to carry some cash and dirhams can be bought at whichever morrocan port you arrive at. The motorway toll guy let me pay in euros at a huge disadvantage to me 😐

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Agreed.

And make sure that you ALWAYS have some 1 Dirham coins on you.

I couldn’t get into a loo because the elderly lady outside collecting refused me entry until I’d popped some coins on the plate!

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I wish I’d brought my own bricks to stand on

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You are not allowed to take them in or out of the country so just use an ATM when you are there.
You can take them in and out its just that you will never be able to exchange them anywhere. We still have some from a few years ago and Wil use them when we go back this year

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We exchanged stirling at the port and used credit cards for the majority of fuel purchases and large supermarket shops but as said cash is king. Lots of exchange places and reasonable rates. Don't accept large denomination notes when you exchange otherwise no one has the change to give you. Keep hold of the coins (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back