Bargain Holiday (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We are recently back from a few weeks in France for a genuine bargain price. I replied to an ad in the national papers advertising Breakaway holidays for £5 pp per night, with free ferry. This was just at the beginning of the season, and not many sites came up on the website as being open, so I moved the potential date forward a little so that there was more selection, and randomly chose a site near Sarlat, 6km away as it transpired, just to see if it would work. The minimum number of nights was 4, and the minimum number of people you had to pay for was 4, = £80. I then checked out the Ferry cost for the 6 metre motorhome which indicated a £24 excess payment. The chalet I chose was a 3 bed 2 bathroom one (I liked the idea of plenty of space). Since we obviously had bedding in the van etc there were no further costs, so I entered the details and to my amazement it all went through. I had originally had the idea of meeting friends or rellies there, but didn't organise it properly.

I had booked the ferry to be 3 weeks before we arrived at the site, and 4 or 5 days after the stay. We duly arrived at the site after staying mostly on free aires, and did wonder if the site would complain about us parking a motorhome next to the chalet, but they didn't bat an eyelid, and happily led us to the chalet. The van just fitted on the drive; I popped the power cable through a lockable window, to keep the fridge etc running. If your motorhome is too large, there are additional parking facilities.

We thought the chalet was very nice, spacious and comfortable. The site had many facilities, the restaurant was good, and the wardens very friendly. It was off-season, obviously it would be dearer in high season, but I will definitely to it again another year, but next time I will make sure that my French based family will be able to come (I looked at the wrong calendar, and didn't realize my mistake until it was too late). Oh, yes, and the Dover/Calais ferry crossing was problem free. In fact, we changed the return date with no extra charge.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have 'abused' these offers in the past at this time of the year, going to le Mans for the 24 hour motor racing most ferry companies are well aware of the captive market, but they don't seem to pass it on to the like of eurocamp, have booked several crossings like this, used the ferry and rung the site to say I have had a problem and will not be using my pitch. Never ben queried yet (y)

Think next time I will actually use the site on way down or back to take full advantage

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I omitted to say that the organising staff were very friendly and courteous all along.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sounds like a great deal (y) Can you add a link to the company you used please? Google brings up several different ones.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Sounds like a great deal (y) Can you add a link to the company you used please? Google brings up several different ones.
It was Breakaway Holidays, using Eurocamp. I don't think you could do it direct, the offer was through the Daily Mail, and you had to collect a few coupon numbers, 4 I think. You'd best keep an eye on the various papers, mostly the red tops. I forgot to mention that in fact in the OP. If I do notice the offer again, I'll post it on this site. Maybe the offer could be repeated later in the season, it's probably to fill the chalets off season (although you can book high season spots when available).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back