Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
On the Canterbury Aire & just watch a Brit put water into the loo he was emptying down the drain. When my husband explained to him that that was a drinking water tap he replied - I didn't put the tap inside the cassette!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On the Canterbury Aire & just watch a Brit put water into the loo he was emptying down the drain. When my husband explained to him that that was a drinking water tap he replied - I didn't put the tap inside the cassette!!
A load of that over here, France, after a while you just get used to there being only one tap , in fact the French get their water out of the emptying side instead of paying to fill up from the drinking side, we just put a couple of aquatabs in if it looks dodgy and up to yet no probs.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
A load of that over here, France, after a while you just get used to there being only one tap , in fact the French get their water out of the emptying side instead of paying to fill up from the drinking side, we just put a couple of aquatabs in if it looks dodgy and up to yet no probs.

.....but we always use bottled water, even for hot drinks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Always rinse off any tap I'm using to fill the water tank, although like others we don't drink water from the tank without boiling it first. Didn't used to and have never had any problems in several years of travelling all over Europe but the various posts on this subject made me think.

Anyway we prefer bottled water to drink - it's cheap enough.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
after filling up the tank in France a day before we came home I managed to drink a glass of water out of it a couple of days later - never again !!! spent a long time in the smallest room - now we only ever drink bottled water.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Don't see a problem if the tap didn't go inside the cassette always drink from tank. Joe

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Backsplash :tmi:
Agree. I have a spray bottle of disinfectant and disinfectant wipes that I use on any tap that I use for filling the tank with. You never know what some other dirty bugger has used it for. We then use our tank water to make tea and coffee as well as clean our teeth and cooking with and we have never had any problems. Even sometimes use it for cold drinks, but only if the beer is running short!

It always surprises me when people start worrying too much about water in their motorhome tank. Most UK houses over a few years old have a gravity fed plumbing system with a header tank in the loft that feeds all the taps except the kitchen sink cold tap. That header tank will be black plastic or, if you are really unlucky, rusty galvanised steel probably. And yet most people drink out of their basin taps and clean their teeth with the water that comes out of them, and fill up pans and kettles with the kitchen sink hot tap. The state of your header tank will probably be much worse than the state of the tank in my motorhome - mine certainly is

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I have drunk water from tanks on many boats and motorhomes with no ill-effect, but it tastes like ****

Few things I like more than a cup of tea or coffee made with Evian (c: so that's what happens on my boat and in my MoHo. I even clean my teeth with it... but that is because I only spend a month or two per year, if I was a liveaboard/full-timer I would just drink tankwater, but then it would be changed more often, wouldn't need chlorine tablets, and wouldn't taste of ****

(oh, and with regard to the OP, people who use drinking taps to rinse their cassettes should be made to drink it, there is NO excuse for this, it is disgusting and wrong)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Bacteria removing, taste removing water filter is the answer

Nature pure as advertised on MHFun

I'm a convert, fitted one 18 months ago and no longer worry what tap I use or which hose to be honest. Before then I would rather go without than use an unknown hose for fear of tainting the water/tank

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i will be on there next weekend, glad to know i can top off the tank before we catch the ferry.
thank you eddie

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Yep Nature pure every time had one for years, always drink water straight out of the tank and never had a problem.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Lovely thread to be reading on a Sunday morning, the joys of motorhoming.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The water system in our home is different in that the cold taps in both the bathroom and kitchen are mains fed (the bathroom used to be the kitchen) so it doesn't matter which cold tap we use for drinks or teeth brushing, but I was always taught never to use water from the hot taps for cooking or drinking/consuming in any way - you simply don't know if a rat has dropped in and popped it's clogs thus fouling the water!!! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Agree. I have a spray bottle of disinfectant and disinfectant wipes that I use on any tap that I use for filling the tank with. You never know what some other dirty bugger has used it for. We then use our tank water to make tea and coffee as well as clean our teeth and cooking with and we have never had any problems. Even sometimes use it for cold drinks, but only if the beer is running short

Same here, always clean any tap really well that we're going to use to top up the fresh water tank, there's a lot of people who simply don't know, or care, about using the right one, that's if there's a choice which sometimes there isn't.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The water system in our home is different in that the cold taps in both the bathroom and kitchen are mains fed (the bathroom used to be the kitchen) so it doesn't matter which cold tap we use for drinks or teeth brushing, but I was always taught never to use water from the hot taps for cooking or drinking/consuming in any way - you simply don't know if a rat has dropped in and popped it's clogs thus fouling the water!!! :D
That's unusual. Normally only the kitchen tap was mains fed, all other taps hot and cold were fed from the header tank. Having said that we have two kitchens in our house (used to have a separate Granny annex) so we have two mains taps as well. Doesn't stop me from drinking out of the other taps and using them to clean my teeth, even though I know how manky the header tank is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes Peter, it is unusual - as the bathroom sink is in nearly the same position as the original kitchen sink it didn't make sense to alter it for the sake of it.
We completely changed the layout of our bungalow (former pauper's cottage) when we bought it and one of the major changes was to move the kitchen from the small room at the front to the massive bedroom at the rear and changed the rest of the place, in fact only 1 room in the whole bungalow wasn't structurally altered. It was like a rabbit warren - it had been extended a few times over the years by previous owners and eventually a large rear extension was put on doubling the overall size but they never ever re-jigged the interior to make best use of space. To get to the bathroom from the front kitchen for example you had to go through the lounge diagonally, then into the dining room, into a lobby then into the bathroom; to get from the bedrooms you had to go into a small hallway, close the bedroom door to open the hallway door into the lounge, then into the dining room, lobby and bathroom ... it was a nightmare!

Before we even bought it I drew it all to scale on paper and redesigned it to make sure we could do what we wanted to it then put in an offer. After we'd done the work the original owner came by walking his dog about 6 months later and was intrigued to see what we'd done ... he said that if they'd had the idea to do what we'd done they wouldn't have moved!!! He daren't tell his wife though as they'd moved to a large 5 bed Victorian semi which they were finding very cold and being in a conservation area couldn't change the draughty windows!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
That's unusual. Normally only the kitchen tap was mains fed, all other taps hot and cold were fed from the header tank. Having said that we have two kitchens in our house (used to have a separate Granny annex) so we have two mains taps as well. Doesn't stop me from drinking out of the other taps and using them to clean my teeth, even though I know how manky the header tank is.

We were the same, it's not until you look inside the header tanks in the loft that you realise what you're brushing your teeth in, we now have a combi boiler which means all of our cold water is mains fed and the tanks have gone, much better

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014

All our cold taps are all mains fed in our house. We dont have a tank for cold water only hot. Makes it a lot easier you dont even have to think about it. Also our hot water is drawn in directly from the mains and is fully enclosed, so the hot water is safe as well :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All our cold taps are all mains fed in our house. We dont have a tank for cold water only hot. Makes it a lot easier you dont even have to think about it. Also our hot water is drawn in directly from the mains and is fully enclosed, so the hot water is safe as well :)
In that case you have the a sealed mains pressure system. Until relatively recently they were illegal to install in the UK.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
In that case you have the a sealed mains pressure system. Until relatively recently they were illegal to install in the UK.

Yes we have a pressure system and we have been here 16 years. :) its quite good but not every company wants to work with them.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
even older houses may still have had lead pipes and lead lined header tanks. common headers in tenements. not unusual to find dead pigeons in those. I still run taps for a bit to flush through any standing water before using any cold water. old habits...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back