Autotrail Ducato 3.0 160 problem. (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2018
Funster No
The other day when I went to move the motorhome it really struggled to start, like 3 turns of the key before it started. ( plenty of power 13.4v on all 3 batteries,) more like a fuel problem. After I had moved it and tried to restart, there was nothing at all!! All lights etc were on fine battery was good. I maybe thought the immobiliser wasnt working at first so got spare set and tried that still wouldnt start. After a quick Google search every thing pointed to an earth problem, mainly the engine earth strap to the chassis. So I got the jump lead and bypassed the strap, put the jump lead from chassis point onto the engine and hey presto it started right away. So I replaced the earth strap with the propper gauge new one. Went to start it and Nothing! I then proceeded and then got another earth strap and from where the earth strap point on the engine mount is I put an extra earth strap to the engine at the nearest position and yes, the engine started right away(better than it ever as). So this got me thinking why isn't the engine getting an earth where the original earth strap that connects from the chassis to the engine mount/gearbox ? Is there something more sinister to this than I'm missing here? Any advice greatly accepted. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I had something similar recently.
Try looking at my post from March’19 titled why does it do that.
Mine ended up being a big fuse located at the battery terminal.
On testing the fuse with a voltmeter, all seemed on, but there was a slight crack in the fuse (couldn’t see due to the solid colour of the plastic unlike a regular spade fuse) which only broke when replacing the battery cover. (Mine is located in passenger floor well).
May be worth checking as could save you some time.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Check the cab battery terminals as well. I had an issue once and the negative/earth was only a clip on. It had run fine but stopped at a campsite and must have come loose over all the bumpy roads. Was making a connection but not a good one. Clipped it back on tight was all good.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When you fitted the new earth, did you make sure the old bolts and washers were clean and did you clean up any of that white powdered oxide you find that builds up in tapped holes in aluminium ? A bit of copperslip grease on the fixings often helps too.

OP
OP
S
Aug 16, 2018
Funster No
Are these the fuses on the +side of the battery terminal in the cab.
When you fitted the new earth, did you make sure the old bolts and washers were clean and did you clean up any of that white powdered oxide you find that builds up in tapped holes in aluminium ? A bit of copperslip grease on the fixings often helps too.

Yeh I wire brushed the bolts, cleaned all threads out with wd40, slightly rubbed the connecting surfaces with 800 grit Emery paper. But nothing happened, as soon as i connected the earth to the Engine instead of the engine mount it starts absolutely no problem at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
As soon as i connected the earth to the Engine instead of the engine mount it starts absolutely no problem at all.

Perhaps the engine mounts are loose or corroded :oops:

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Maybe the problem is electrical but, it could be the EGR valve.
We have same engine,2010. it had a simliar problem. Found water had got into the unit and the corrosion had stopped the valve turning. The new unit has a modified electric connection to stop water ingress.

OP
OP
S
Aug 16, 2018
Funster No
We have just upgraded the throttle body actuator which as the egr valve built into it I think. Got the newer version and loom connector fitted. Done that last month and done about 800 miles since then, no problems. I've checked the connections at the starter motor and every thing seems fine. It's no problem with the new earth strap to the engine but is this masking a problem we cant see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back