Anyone Remember the Psion 5MX? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It was an amazing bit of kit. Looks like something similar will finally be back on the market.
Looks a little bit pricey. However I think it might be perfect for Motorhomers on the road.

PS: I am not recommending anyone fund this project. I think they are a little too ambitious on the timeline and some of the people involved have piqued my suspicions.

But if it happens, I might look for one of these instead of a new phone in a few years.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I had a Psion 3 then 3A in the nineties. Thought they were great and ran my life from them.

So did I till I managed to drop it in the bath water. :rofl: Although at the time I was not laughing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I could not afford a 5 when they came out.

This is a beautiful looking piece of kit.

Functionally you could get close right now with a mobile phone and bluetooth keyboard case for under £100. And you'd have a choice of screen sizes. And the flexibility to leave the keyboard behind.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've always wondered what happens to the money if the crowd funding only reach's say 60% of the total needed to bring to reality.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I had a Psion in Nigeria in the early 90's which I used on the Rigs to write and print inspection and test certificates / reports, saving them on the flash drives, it was brilliant, the missus modified my overalls with an additional pocket on the side of the leg to carry it. The rig operators were very impressed that they were getting their printed and signed certification before I left the rig.
Great bit of kit, I still have it at home with quite a few of Psion extras.
Cheers
Ed

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No don't remember it, do you remember the Amstrad 1512? I still have the PPC "portable":rolleyes::LOL: version sitting in the loft.

Amstrad_PPC512_open.jpg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Psion 3a fan here - still got 2 in working order, though I don't use them.
Think I might also have a 5mx squirrelled away...
Brilliant bits of kit but done down by the bigger marketing budget of the inferior Palm Pilot.
Of course the world has moved on - tablets & smartphones have taken over. I can't see a market segment for a revamped Psioneer 5mx. The USP of Psion was the operating system, and that of course hasn't been developed over the years.

Also had an original Asus Eec pc Netbook,
running on Linux, good idea but didn't really catch on, probably again due to the iPad's introduction.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a Psion 5MX for several years. Used it for my first e-mails on the move using IR to communicate with my mobile phone.

There was something on offer similar to the device in the OP a few years ago. If I recall correctly it was sold by Maplins and used a Vodafone SIM.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a vaguely related note Google have announced they are rolling out their digital assistant to phones running the latest Android software. Initially in the US but with the UK to follow. My phone had Android 7 so no doubt it will start talking to me soon and I am sure there will be a way to turn it off! I think the consensus is the Amazon one is better but Google will be working on improving theirs.
It shouldn't surprise people to see the trend to increase mobile phone capabilities. They are already very good cameras for most people's needs plus all the digital stuff like watching films etc.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I could not afford a 5 when they came out.

This is a beautiful looking piece of kit.

Functionally you could get close right now with a mobile phone and bluetooth keyboard case for under £100. And you'd have a choice of screen sizes. And the flexibility to leave the keyboard behind.
Not really, that combo won't fit into your pocket like the MX would. I just loved the clam shell format, really nice keyboard.
The problem for me was memory and connectivity.

This new one runs on linux so I will be able to do all my command line (SSH) stuff when out and about. I just can't do that on a phone or even a tablet.. For me if this comes off it means I can dump my phone, and not have to carry a laptop to the pub etc anymore. With the USB port I can take a usb to serial adapter with me if I need to go to a data centre. There is just so much I could do with this that I can't do on a tablet or phone.

Also had an original Asus Eec pc Netbook,
running on Linux, good idea but didn't really catch on, probably again due to the iPad's introduction.
I still have my EEEPC in my drawer. Fantastic little micro laptop, but again doesn't fit in the pocket like the MX did.

This new device will have wifi, and 3G/4G built in. So I can use it as a phone via a bluetooth adapter. I can use it to answer emails, I will be able to keep my accounts on it, SSH onto servers and much more. All this in a device I can carry in my pocket.

I am slightly excited to say the least.

If it is as good as the MX was but brought up to date, I may even be able to get rid of 2 or 3 of my laptops (y)

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I still have my Psion 5 somewhere with a cracked screen. It was v good especially the database it had on it. After that I had a Dell Axim and did use it with a bluetooth keyboard but I agree it didn't match the robust clamshell design (how did I crack the screen you may ask) for ease of use.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I bought one of these back in the 80s. Not sure what I used it for but I am a sucker for gadgets. It is hiding somewhere in the loft.

Screenshot_20170228-224525.png

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well, I must be a saddo because I still have them... :(
But it's a testament to their build quality that with 2 new AA batteries they still work :eek:!

IMG_20170228_232027-800x450.jpg

I wonder if the 5mx still has any practical use?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I bought one of these back in the 80s. Not sure what I used it for but I am a sucker for gadgets. It is hiding somewhere in the loft.

View attachment 150135
Still in use in the military until 5 years ago. Brilliant little chaps for simple tasks, very rugged and "squaddie proof". Still got a couple of them

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You have one and you still ask a dumb ass question like that :p
Yes :cool:.
I seem to use my android smartphone for most everything these days.
Hadn't given the Psions a thought for probably a decade [or longer] until you posted this thread.
Just wondering if it's worth getting to grips with either again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back