Anyone done a DIY ceramic coating on their van ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Prompted by this thread I’m curious about ceramic coating on the van but would probably go down the DIY route due the cost here. Wondering if anyone has done it themselves and can give any feedback ?

I’m assuming it could be done within say 12-16hrs of work and materials cost around £200 ish ?

Van would be new so no or little to no prep required.

Thanks

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I’ve not done it myself, but have had 5 or 6 cars ceramic coated from new.

Applying the coating is pretty easy, and doesn’t take long.

The key is in the preparation - new cars (and MH) come with a number of paint defects, mostly swirling caused by cleaning by dealer etc, iron fall out contamination and a host of other things that get stuck to the surfaces post manufacturing.

The detailer we use spends around 6 hours completing full paint correction on a new car, then it takes less than an hour to apply the coating.

So I guess what I’m saying is that it’s entirely feasible within your budget to DIY but please don’t assume that because its new that little or no preparation would be needed.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve not done it myself, but have had 5 or 6 cars ceramic coated from new.

Applying the coating is pretty easy, and doesn’t take long.

The key is in the preparation - new cars (and MH) come with a number of paint defects, mostly swirling caused by cleaning by dealer etc, iron fall out contamination and a host of other things that get stuck to the surfaces post manufacturing.

The detailer we use spends around 6 hours completing full paint correction on a new car, then it takes less than an hour to apply the coating.

So I guess what I’m saying is that it’s entirely feasible within your budget to DIY but please don’t assume that because its new that little or no preparation would be needed.

Great info and thanks for that. Still a few hours of Karate kid then 😩

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
When my van was new I thought it was a good idea to give it a couple of coats of a good wax,,,thought different after the first coat😂😂
Last May I paid a professional chap to come around and give it a good going over and he made a cracking job.
Might be worth looking into paying for someone to polish the van and then go behind them applying the coating?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Great info and thanks for that. Still a few hours of Karate kid then 😩

if you’re planning to do it by hand then more like a few days!

heres a film of how our guy did our (then) new Zoe a couple of years ago.. which might put you off and follow Coastal Cruiser. suggestion 👍🏻

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
if you’re planning to do it by hand then more like a few days!

heres a film of how our guy did our (then) new Zoe a couple of years ago.. which might put you off and follow Coastal Cruiser. suggestion 👍🏻

Fabulous video and that guy certainly knows his onions, very informative 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I would suggest some Googling, many ceramic products should only be applied indoors in a clean environment at a specific temperature. There are products that are supposed to be ok outside, but should not be applied in direct sunlight, and again temperature is important.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Wife has just had her car done at supremecoat near Chesterfield .

They have Made a fantastic job of it and could highly recommended them.
If i had a van worth doing i would have it done.

Dec 12, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote P700
Always have our cars full detailed, by a good friend but then he moved to Devon 😂
Now use Staffs Car detailing in Rugeley, however his unit isn’t large enough for motorhome
Roaming Radford use PP Protect in Swadlincote, looks good.
When our new van arrives 🤞 will be going there , good luck 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back