Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Jim, we had a couple of rv's from RVOC who came for a long weekend on site with the intention of "stargazing" One was "nozzmoking" can't remember the other couple. They came with the biggest scopes I have ever seen with connected laptops and they invited us up to see what was going on. As we are in the dark skies area of Wales we knew they should see alot if it stayed clear. It was the most amazing experience for Mark and myself as we had never seen space like this. We also saw shooting stars. They sat out with food and drinks until 2 or 3 am. We loved it
Go for it and enjoy.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Here's a few astronomical pics I've taken in recent years - the shot of the Moon was taken with a 9 Megapixel camera which had a 300mm equivalent lens (6x magnification), so you don't need high magnification if the image resolution is good and the camera's steady.

This picture is of the Moon's shadow passing over Mount's Bay in Cornwall during the 1999 full eclipse. That event was awesome in every sense of the word.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Leave it a week or two Jim, then visit Jessops......

they are going under so may have some good bargains on camera's.

not sure if they do astronomical stuff though.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Leave it a week or two Jim, then visit Jessops......

they are going under so may have some good bargains on camera's.

not sure if they do astronomical stuff though.

too late John .. the beast arrived yesterday... ::bigsmile:

8" Sky-Watcher reflector on an EQ5 Equatorial mount..

Spent the afternoon assembling and trying to understand how an equatorial mount works.. getting my head around .. polar axis alignment and RA/DE settings ..

But sods law, it's been overcast and wet since then.. so no chance to put the theory into practice..

I have also downloaded an excellent piece of software ,

Stellarium

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

Even if you are not into astronomy it is really worth downloading and playing with ..

Also joined the stargazers lounge.. now I know how noobees to Fun feel... LOST :Eeek::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Excellent. Very similar to Redshift but much cheaper.

The good new is, you have 7 days to return you personal hypothermia machine. Or buy an anorak.

Ive downloaded it but have yet to work out how to use it .

looks like fun though

barry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ive downloaded it but have yet to work out how to use it .
barry

First thing is a near invisible menu on the LHS, top icon is set location. To make it more interesting right now in the middle of the bottom menu you can turn off atmosphere, something Jim's reflector with struggle with.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update.. and picture of ISS

well, sadly the night weather has been crap since I got the scope .. wet and or cloudy .. but has given me time to play with it in the daytime..

I ordered an adaptor ring for my Nikon DSLR, that arrived today so I had a play ...

First picture of the ISS .. :roflmto:

no, it's neighbours TV aerial .. about 500 mts. away ..

got to start somewhere...:Cool:

Attachments

• DSC_8103.jpg
    DSC_8103.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 25

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
got to start somewhere...:Cool:

That's awesome.

A Yagi class aerial. Horizontally polarised with a pair or reflectors in orbit around it's extremity. The light from this took 6.47 10e-21 to reach your telescope. It was probably formed about 4.83 billion years ago when a mass of Fray Bentos pie tins coalesced after a super cooker exploded in a distant galaxy.

Keep the good work up Jim, you are an inspiration to us all, now where did I put my scope ?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's awesome.

A Yagi class aerial. Horizontally polarised with a pair or reflectors in orbit around it's extremity. The light from this took 6.47 10e-21 to reach your telescope. It was probably formed about 4.83 billion years ago when a mass of Fray Bentos pie tins coalesced after a super cooker exploded in a distant galaxy.

Keep the good work up Jim, you are an inspiration to us all, now where did I put my scope ?

thanks....

I should add, that was taken through the kitchen window.. which is a bit dirty :Blush: so not as clear as it should be

.. too cold to be faffing about in the garden ,.... brrrrrrrrr

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
thanks....

I should add, that was taken through the kitchen window.. which is a bit dirty :Blush: so not as clear as it should be

.. too cold to be faffing about in the garden ,.... brrrrrrrrr
You have even got me at it, my ex was given a mirror reflector scope with stand by a friend who had given up attempting to put it together. She suggested the grandchildren. After reading your post I sat my son down and said put that together.:Smile: Anyhow two hours later he was out in the garden looking for stars.
Still waiting for a clear night.:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Interesting thread! Always taken an inactive interest in the night sky which is good to see from here with our lack of street lights. :thumb: Walked past Jessups before Christmas and saw a cheap telescope which I put on my xmas list before taking it off again after reading the reviews, good job nobody bought me their gift tokens. :Sad:

Just had a few days in London to see some shows and took the Clipper down to Greenwich and the planetarium. Many years since we saw it alongside Madame Thingy and not particularly impressed with the audience participation theme during the show that we [STRIKE]enjoyed[/STRIKE] but interesting looking at the scopes in the obligatory souvenir shop on the way out.

So.............. I'm now looking at scopes and learning things from this thread. Oh, and if that's the ISS in Jim's pic we've got loads of them around here. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Moon shot

first attempts .. much to learn but this isn't so sad..

shutter speed 1/500 th. sec

Attachments

• DSC_8129.jpg
    DSC_8129.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 25

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Nice shot there Jim - well done. If that's a first attempt I can't wait to see your later work.

I had a crack at capturing a full moon with my camera last night - I was surprised at how fast a shutter speed I needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back