Annual migration (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Tomorrow, Thursday, we set out on our annual migration to Burgundy.

This year we intend to use our Burgundy base as a starting point for several trips, starting with following the Pilgrim's Route to Santiago de Compestella in mid April.

Trips to near and far areas of France, including a visit to Andorra will follow during the early summer.

As we will not have a reliable internet connection we will not be able to log on to the Forum as often as we would like while we move around.

We will miss you all!:)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Have a great time, look forward to seeing some of your photos on here (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Great itinerary. We invariably stop over at one point or another on that journey (the Pilgrim Route) to enjoy the odd soberano or ten

Safe trip

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Tomorrow, Thursday, we set out on our annual migration to Burgundy.

This year we intend to use our Burgundy base as a starting point for several trips, starting with following the Pilgrim's Route to Santiago de Compestella in mid April.

Trips to near and far areas of France, including a visit to Andorra will follow during the early summer.

As we will not have a reliable internet connection we will not be able to log on to the Forum as often as we would like while we move around.

We will miss you all!:)
It's one of our ambitious to drive the Compestella in the Motorhome one day. :D

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have a great time, look forward to seeing some of your photos on here (y)
It's one of our ambitious to drive the Compestella in the Motorhome one day. :D
David, it is largely thanks to you that we are doing the journey!

Last year I posted our intention of driving the Pilgrim Route and asking for recommendations. You were kind enough to reply with a link which convinced us to go.

The fact that, due to errant fingers, I had made the post re Santiago de Compestella in the "Morocco" section makes it all the more remarkable!

Thanks again.:)

We are leaving within the hour!(y)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have managed to find a slow internet connection so hope the photos upload.

We will leave Burgundy on the start of our trip next Monday or Tuesday but, in the meantime, some photos of our local area.

IMG_0802.JPG

Local water mill, taken at dawn while walking the dog so low light conditions.

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

The vines are still asleep but waking up slowly. Also taken around dawn.

IMG_0805.JPG

But the flowers are already awake in the meadow behind us.

Sorry about the duplicate pics but I can't delete one without both disappearing.

Will post further whenever possible.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Last year our village lost its one shop when Madame retired and no-one wanted to take it over.

In order to keep the village alive the local Mairie has installed a "big, red, bread machine" as it has become known. Baguettes @ 0.95 euro and Pain @ 1.3 euro, topped up three times a day.

Great idea!

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry about the duplicate pics but I can't delete one without both disappearing.
If you ever have that problem again edit your post then click on the button with a spanner in the top right. You will then see entries like this:

(ATTACH=full) 156952(/ATTACH)

Except the brackets will be square ones not curved, which I've used in this example to stop the forum software trying to show an image. :)
You will see the same line twice, just delete one and that image will vanish.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
IMG_0823.JPG
We called in to Le Puy en Velay as the start of our trip along the Pilgrim Route. We have spent time there before so just reacquainted ourselves with the sites before moving on.

If you haven't visited the town it has three spectacular volcanic pinnacles one with a statue of the Madonna on top. She is hollow inside and you can climb to the top for a great view of the town. Another has a Chapel perched on top with a dizzying climb up to it.

IMG_0827.JPG

After that we travelled to Mende where we just overnighted on the Aire. It was crowded but we got the best pitch right at the far end by the river.

IMG_0821.JPG

The view of the river and weir, in the evening light, was spectacular.

IMG_0820.JPG

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are breaking our journey in St Jean de Luz, before crossing the border to Spain.

Unfortunately, 200 kilometres into this trip I realised I had left my camera behind in Burgundy, so all photos are taken on an iPad.

The sunset over the Atlantic last night was beautiful but, although the skies are clear with not a cloud in sight, a cool Northerly breeze is keeping it feeling a bit more chilly than we would have liked. It didn't stop people admiring the sunset though.

IMG_0832.JPG

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Have a great time over the water. Look forward to more pics when possible.
We won't be getting over to our village until some time in May and will be back and forth this summer as we get an extra room added to the house we share with youngest son and his family. I am pining considerably.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Having left St Jean de Luz we have started along the Pilgrim's Route in earnest. Our first real visit was to the Chapel Santa Maria de Euenta(?), might be misspelled.

It is a tiny Chapel, literally in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by cornfields and wild flowers, with a museum attached where Pilgrims can get their cards stamped to show their progress.

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We then travelled along the route. Our progress was a little disappointing as we found that the stops we wanted to make were impossible in a 7.5m motorhome.

We had three very narrow escapes in roads far too narrow with elbow bends in the old towns.

Eventually arriving in Burgos we visited the Cathedral there.

WOW!

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

The last photo is one of a massive collection of paintings, gold and silver within the Cathedral. The painting depicts the removal of Christ from the cross by Tintoretto.

Tomorrow we intend to travel onwards to Leon.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Arrived in Santiago today in lovely weather, at least for now.

Stopped in at Leon yesterday. Nice town with beautiful Cathedral and well worth a visit.

Afterwards continued along route and called in to Astorga. Not a lot to see other than a Cathedral which had some of the most grotesque gold sculptures in the various side chapels that we have ever seen. Way over the top.

The drive from Burgos was, for the most, uninspiring. Lots of flat barren plains interspersed with corn fields left little to excite the imagination. The last 140 kilometres to Santiago is through mountains and much more interesting with the road switching between tunnels and dizzying viaducts. A nice drive.

I am attaching some photos of LeĂłn, including the Cathedral. The stained glass windows are reputed to be the most impressive in Europe, covering 1800sq metres in total. The walls are mainly windows which has led to structural problems for the Cathedral in the past. Parts had to be rebuilt. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get good photos of the Windows because of the height of the Windows and the angle of sight. IPads aren't the best to deal with the contrast between light and dark either.

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Last night proved to be a problem finding a Campsite. First one we tried had disappeared, second one would not accept dogs, third one was not open until 1st May.

We found a Truck Stop, paired with a 3star hotel and joined the lorry drivers. It was a huge area complete with car wash, Truck wash, DERV pumps and shop. The hotel had a good bar and a proper restaurant. We decided to have a meal there although our knowledge of the Spanish language is very weak.

A three course meal consisted of - Starter: Mixed salad for Mrs Maison and a huge plate of boiled ham and peppers for me, which I couldn't finish. Main course: chicken cooked in garlic for my wife and veal steak for me. Dessert: cheese cake for Madame and "ice cream cake" for me. That turned out to be two good slices of Vienetta.

Total cost, including a bottle of red wine, a bottle of water, bread and olives was 24 euros! Excellent.

Spending today having a quick recce of Santiago before full exploration tomorrow.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
So, 2078 miles after leaving South Wales we have arrived in Santiago de Compostela. One of my "bucket list" items and, just to add poignancy to the trip, yet another of my ex-colleagues has died while we have been en route.

I was looking forward to my first view of the Cathedral and what did I get?

IMG_0873.JPG

Scaffolding everywhere!

Fortunately, we discovered that we had approached the Cathedral from the wrong side, and there are better views.

We also managed to perpetuate the image of the "stupid British abroad", sorry everybody. We got lost in the suburbs of Santiago and, when we were parking our Scooter, a "very nice" policeman told us that we were in a pedestrian only area. We hadn't spotted the signs. Following extravagant waves of apology he pointed out how we could leave the area and find safe parking. It's amazing what a bit of grovelling can achieve.

Then onwards to explore Santiago. A delightful place. The most surprising thing is that small bar or restaurant frontages can lead into wonderful interiors. Sorry, no pics, it seemed impolite. You will have to visit for yourselves.

We took some pictures of what we saw :-

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

The main entrance to the Cathedral.

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

Tomorrow we intend to explore the Cathedral itself.

Does Santiago live up to expectations?

Yes, it does.

Next trip must be Mrs Maison's choice. Life is too short not to live your dreams.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Final posting of the trip to Santiago.

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

The Cathedral at Santiago is not as spectacular as Burgos, but very ornate. There was a lot of remedial work going on during our visit and photography was difficult.

Well that's it! Heading back to Burgundy over the next week or so. Any future postings will be back to life in rural France.

Bon voyage!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We are breaking our journey in St Jean de Luz

Well what a fabulous start to your voyage of Discovery, certainly one of my favourites.
Your pictures are very good considering it's an iPad, thank you for the mini-blog you have certainly whetted my appetite.

Griff

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Many thanks for the thread.
Yet another place to go on the list.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back