Polar bear
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Nice to see we are not alone forgot to post our call sighns mine is G4TJB also used to be (VK3EFY when we were on holiday in Australia) and Jayne is M3CZD. I recognise a couple of callsigns posted. Brian G6PJT I did not know you had a motorhome! Steve does replying to your amateur radio call sighn qualifiy as a contact to claim the £10?. Might be an idea to try and set up a sked on say 40m band?

OP
OP
Polar bear
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have not fitted a screwdriver antenna to my van but on a previous van i fitted a 20ft fibreglass mast to the bike rack and when parked up fixed either a G5RV or a multiband vertical to the top of it. I had to run grounding cable to chassis for the antenna or alternatively run a ground spike. I had a lot of contacts around the world with this set up. On the latest van I have a shorter mast which again fits to the bike rack and mount a 40m dipole to the top of it again with ground spike, this also works well. If the weather is bad a simple mag mount on the bonnet with a vertical HF antenna works well. I did try a screwdriver antenna many years ago on a car but found dedicated single band HF antennas worked a lot better.:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have not fitted a screwdriver antenna to my van but on a previous van i fitted a 20ft fibreglass mast to the bike rack and when parked up fixed either a G5RV or a multiband vertical to the top of it. I had to run grounding cable to chassis for the antenna or alternatively run a ground spike. I had a lot of contacts around the world with this set up. On the latest van I have a shorter mast which again fits to the bike rack and mount a 40m dipole to the top of it again with ground spike, this also works well. If the weather is bad a simple mag mount on the bonnet with a vertical HF antenna works well. I did try a screwdriver antenna many years ago on a car but found dedicated single band HF antennas worked a lot better.:thumb:

YAWN...... :winky:

Graham, go sort your garage out. Bet you got loads of stuff to sell...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lowrideruk

Free Member
Mar 5, 2013
Northampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
30 years
Amatuer Radio

Hi both myself and the wife are licensed my call sign is 2E0DNL and the wife is M3LKN I am Derek and hers is Kendal Kay:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I guess I'm one of the newer calls then I took my Foundation in November 2011 and got the call M6 FAX in tribute to my home town of Halifax West Yorkshire..always had a big interest in all things Radio Related..I was a Standard II signaller in my HM Forces days (Infantry not Royal Sigs) and was a SWL for many years it was only the Morse that prevented me from doing it years ago but since the Morse was dropped I took the plunge..I stay fairly active on 2mtrs and 70 cms

JypsyJeff

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Greetings from G1DYN - still active from 80 through to 23cms including D star and data. Also an active member of the Amateur Radio Caravan & Camping Club (ARCC).
73 All. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
G1WMI but let it lapse before they became permanent. I really need to look into getting it back. I have lost all my exam certificates so it might be a bit tricky :Sad:

I have just been to the City and guild site to try and see if I can get my license re-issued. Unfortunately I can't remember what year I got it in. I think it was 84-86 but need to narrow it down. Did anyone else get a G1W?? callsign and can tell me what year they got it in please?

Last edited:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
G1WMI but let it lapse before they became permanent. I really need to look into getting it back. I have lost all my exam certificates so it might be a bit tricky

I am sure the fact you were in the Call Book sometimes works? It used to .... You could check with the RSGB who may be able to help you. If not - let me know, I know a few people there.

73's

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wondered how long it would take for you to see this post Jeff

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There was a contest on 80 yesterday.. worked a few around Europe but nothing exotic..
I used to be 'in to' 80mtr DX many moons ago.. Never managed the US west Coast but have had contacts in Japan and China..
It was sort of an aside when I was not working WAB on 3.76..

WAB seems to have died a death in recent years.. I often check on both the 80 and 40 qrg's but it is always very quiet

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
G6FNF generally QRT at the mo,too busy motorhoming! I mainly operate on special event stations. Next one to commemorate the Battle of the The Atlantic.

The special event callsign GB70BOA will be activated from Fort Perch Rock at the Mersey entrance between 20th and 27th May inclusive. Activity will take place on all band 80M to 10M and VHF/UHF 144 and 432 Mhz all modes.

Hosted by the Marine Radio Museum Society (Wallasey) resident callsign GB4FPR, operators from Wirral & District Amateur Radio Club (WADARC), Chester And District Amateur Radio Society (CADARS) and a contest contingent from the Tall Trees Group (G5D) are hoping to make over 2800 contacts during this period.

This is to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of The Atlantic in which over 2800 allied ships were lost. A special QSL card is being produced in commemoration. Details via QRZ.com. GB70BOA is part of the official recognition of this event.

In Liverpool there is also the Western Approaches command room open for visitors, its based in Derby House.
http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
G6FNF generally QRT at the mo,too busy motorhoming! I mainly operate on special event stations. Next one to commemorate the Battle of the The Atlantic.

The special event callsign GB70BOA will be activated from Fort Perch Rock at the Mersey entrance between 20th and 27th May inclusive. Activity will take place on all band 80M to 10M and VHF/UHF 144 and 432 Mhz all modes.

Hosted by the Marine Radio Museum Society (Wallasey) resident callsign GB4FPR, operators from Wirral & District Amateur Radio Club (WADARC), Chester And District Amateur Radio Society (CADARS) and a contest contingent from the Tall Trees Group (G5D) are hoping to make over 2800 contacts during this period.

This is to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of The Atlantic in which over 2800 allied ships were lost. A special QSL card is being produced in commemoration. Details via QRZ.com. GB70BOA is part of the official recognition of this event.

In Liverpool there is also the Western Approaches command room open for visitors, its based in Derby House.
http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/

Will see if I can work you on 80 and if there is any ducting on 10 ( bit of a lost cause but you never know !! )

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I am G1TUZ, issued November 1985. QRT these days as not enough hours in the day now I am retired? 73s

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back