Adjustment of TV's, dishes etc.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by US2UK, Jul 9, 2011.

1. US2UK

US2UK Read Only Funster

After 10 years touring North America, our Motorhome is now on it's way to UK. Lots of conversions are required, and most are being attended to on arrival. However, I have not yet found out if American TVs, dome dishes etc. are compatible to UK spec. :Eeek: Can anyone give advice ?
    If the equipment can be converted, any recommendations ?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not sure about the dish but the TV wont work....the yanks use a different system to the uk.
    we use PAL and the americans use NTSC

the US sat receiver may/will have the wrong transponder codes installed but could possibly be re-hashed within the menu to receive european TP's.

both TV's and receivers are cheap enough in the UK.

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Most American TV's as far as I recall are NTSC system which are not normally compatible with the European systems which are PAL. However if you are lucky it may be a "multi-system" tv, but with the US kit I would be surprised.

The actual sat dish should work, it is just a parabolic receiver, our ships dish works world wide, but you may need a different decoder and possibly LNB..

I'm sure someone will come along with more enlightening info soon....:thumb::thumb:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

To add what has already been advised..

If it's an automatic sat dish then from what I recall from another Fun member's question on the same topic it was going to cost more to convert the software than to buy new .. I'll look for the thread ..

Personally I would ditch all the US kit .. not only is it the wrong voltage,( not a big issue as you can convert from 110v to 230v ) .. but it's also the wrong frequency .. ie 60 rather than 50hz .. it's just not worth the expense of conversion.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

My American KH dome fell into that catagory Jim
    About £100 more for a new system with warranties etc than converting:Doh: