A lurker who has finally paid up. (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Hi and welcome to MHF, I've been following your travel blogg for a while, great number plate by the way(y)

Hats off to you for your efforts in keeping a truly Awesome Aircraft flying, we are just down the road from waddington and I can remember years ago the sheer power from those engines making my whole body vibrate, sadly I haven't seen it since they left waddington all those years ago despite living in Bomber County :(

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are two at Bruntingthorpe that are very well looked after by a dedicated group and regularly belted down the runway, often with full reheat.
Look out for Cold War Jets day on May 24th.

Richard.

Wow, that would be some ride and Soooooo tempting to pull back.

They weren't out this day, I was a member at Hus Bos just down the road.

HB_PICT0014.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wow, that would be some ride and Soooooo tempting to pull back.

Do you remember the case of an RAF ground run tester who "accidentally" hit reheat during a ground test and did a circuit, got it back nice and safely but I think his balls never recovered.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
The only old one better in my books, the Lightning. Total raw power and even today can hold it's head up high. I wish I had £12K spare to go fly one in South Africa ( if it's still going ).
Agree with @hilldweller , Saw the Lightning at halfpenny green when they did the airshows. On its last pass it came in as slow as it could and then the pilot just stood it on its tail and up it went with full after burner, the ground shook and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Years ago I was sharing a house with a girl whose father was very involved with getting a Vulcan to fly, it had been an ongoing expensive project for ages, he was the pilot and amid much excitement he flew it, only to crash land. Must have been 1986/87.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A warm welcome from Wales and thank you for helping keep the Vulcan flying!(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you go to Duxford 'his' Lightning is the one on display in the Airspace hangar.

Richard.

One of our first MH trips. That place is pure magic. I touched a Blackbird. The only plane I'll accept as better than the Lightning.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for keeping her flying, we can't wait to see her fly at Yeovilton in July (y)

Used to love the Lightening when it displayed at Mildenhall ....

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
One of our first MH trips. That place is pure magic. I touched a Blackbird. The only plane I'll accept as better than the Lightning.
Did you get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck though when you went into the American Hall and realised you were eyeball to eyeball with a B52?:D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did you get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck though when you went into the American Hall and realised you were eyeball to eyeball with a B52?:D

To be honest no, it's just a bomber. Whereas Blackbird is man's skills stretched beyond their limits, a machine so focussed to perform a single near impossible task remembering it was designed in the 50s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome welcome welcome, and I am back to work tomorrow after the weekend working on Tucano's :giggle:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
To be honest no, it's just a bomber. Whereas Blackbird is man's skills stretched beyond their limits, a machine so focussed to perform a single near impossible task remembering it was designed in the 50s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird
I hadn't realised it was so old, we've seen that a few times at Mildenhall too. The shape always looks like a flying guitar to me:blusher:.
Awesome machine though.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
hilldweller,

There are Tucano's in private hands, with glass cockpits too, but they are in the USA, I work at RAF Linton on Ouse but we are all civvy,s excepting for air traffic and aircrew naturall.y

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

In the late seventies I was an instructor at the School of Infantry in Brecon. One late June evening at dusk a B52 passed below us going up a very steep sided valley on the North East edge of the Sennybridge Training Area. We often saw A10's, F111's and Harriers below us but that B52 was one of the most awesome bits of flying I have ever seen. To get out of the end of the valley without rising high enough above the ground clutter to present a radar picture to AWACS that 52 did a wing over. The lads with me were, as I was, completely awed! The next day a Vulcan provided us with our very own personal eclipse of the sun above Brecon Forest. The aircraft was so low the spruce trees bent with the engine wash...we never heard it coming and we never heard it go.............. Those men could really fly and yes the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I met the driver of one many moons ago Brian. The most unassuming and quiet American gentleman I have ever met.

I can imagine. More technician than military person. And full of crap and piles, I assume sitting half a day in a space suit would do that eventually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back