A few sites I can recommend in Belgium & Luxembourg (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We've just come back from a week in Belgium with a short hop over to Luxembourg, just thought I'd share the sites that we stayed at we thought they were all very good.

IMG_20230527_205147.jpg

Site: https://www.wervik.be/toerisme/overnachten/kampeerautoterreindebalokken/en

Lovely little Aire along the river Leie right on the French/Belgium border, only 8 spaces but it is bookable in advance for only 10euros. The price includes electricity, chemical waste and greywater disposal, fresh water is available for 1euro for 100Ltrs.
Very convenient if you are coming from Dunkirk as it is only 40 miles away with a Lidl nearby to stock up on supplies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_20230529_121307.jpg

Site: Le Pirot

A charming little site on the bank of the River Lesse, we paid 27euros per night (2 Adults & 2 Children). This included electricity, fresh water & chemical waste & greywater disposal. You have to book via email or phone as they don't have any online booking facilities, and we paid upon arrival, the site had a nice clean toilet block with showers. Perfect location for visiting the Caves of Han, also highly recommended.

IMG_20230530_123800.jpg

Site: https://park4night.com/en/place/298190

At only 10euros this place is an absolute steal, you get no fresh water, no electricity, no chemical & grey water disposal but with quite simply the best view over Dinant who cares! What is provided though is plenty of firewood for keeping warm whilst you admire the view over a glass of wine in the evening.

A little tricky to organize as the owner only speaks French, you have to book over email and he will let you know what times he is available to meet you at the location which is around 1/2 mile down a farm lane, even though we speak very little French he made us feel very welcome and is quite a funny chap.
From what we could see there were 4 spaces split on to 2 tiers, on our tier another van turned up later in the day but the owner arranges you so that you all have a view.

IMG_20230531_160519.jpg

Site: https://camping-bissen.lu/en/

Another riverside site running alongside the river Sûre, this one was the most expensive at 29euros, and included electric, water, and chemical & greywater disposal.
There is a restaurant onsite, it looked very nice but we did not go in so I cannot comment.
There is a lovely walk along the river on a well-paved foot/cycle path to the Village of Esch-sur-Sûre, a very quaint place with ruins of the oldest castle in Luxembourg to explore and a few restaurants to refresh yourselves in before the walk back.
Also right outside the site is a bus stop that takes you to Ettelbruck and from there you can catch the train right into Luxembourg City, all very easy and best of all Free as there is no charge for public transport in Luxembourg!

We did stay at another site and although it was nice it was nothing to write home about, only went there for the swimming pool for the kids.

Overall Belgium & Luxemburg surprised us with how beautiful the countryside was and how relaxed it felt driving through it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Next Stop

Have you thought about creating a journal for these and future tours you will have ?

You have already done the hard work, you just go to Journals and create a journal, then add a journal entry for each one.
Whilst creating the journal, if you select "enable map" you can then add the place and you get your own map of where you have been.
You can create as many journals as you want so you can view your entire map or just the "Belgium" one.

Heres mine on Belgium which I created having been there last year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks, we’ll be travelling through Luxembourg and Belgium returning home in a couple of weeks, so very useful to have some recommendations.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We are off to Luxembourg in the morning for a few days, unfortunately just paid for a site before I noticed your post🤬

Belgium is nice but the E42 has to be the worst road in Europe, we came from Gravelines a few days ago and are now at Rurberg in Germany and my van got shook to bits it even activated the gas crash valve so had to reset that when we arrived.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stopped at Wervik when we couldn't get to the Aire we were heading for due to roadworks.
What a nice surprise, had to stay two nights as the price is for upto 3 nights. Then we decided to follow the Meuse to it's source.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Next Stop

Have you thought about creating a journal for these and future tours you will have ?

You have already done the hard work, you just go to Journals and create a journal, then add a journal entry for each one.
Whilst creating the journal, if you select "enable map" you can then add the place and you get your own map of where you have been.
You can create as many journals as you want so you can view your entire map or just the "Belgium" one.

Heres mine on Belgium which I created having been there last year

I take a look later, we've already done a polarsteps one for friends and family so it wouldn't take much to transfer over the information, I know how valuable personal recommendations are when planning trips!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We are off to Luxembourg in the morning for a few days, unfortunately just paid for a site before I noticed your post🤬

Belgium is nice but the E42 has to be the worst road in Europe, we came from Gravelines a few days ago and are now at Rurberg in Germany and my van got shook to bits it even activated the gas crash valve so had to reset that when we arrived.
I know what you mean, the quality of the roads wasn't the best but from what we drove on they seem very well laid out and other drivers seemed relaxed and not right on your bumper. We set the satnav to secondary roads mainly and got to see a good few villages along the journey.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Great news, I spent a couple of days there about 5 years ago but can’t remember if they offered free transport?
They made it free in 2020, and from our experience, it was reliable and clean, and not overcrowded, just wish other countries would follow suit although I'm sure the tax payer takes a hit!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Try the A271 in East Sussex where it goes into Battle from the West makes Belgium roads look smooth.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Thanks for posting this! We have only just over a week and thought Belgium would be too far to explore.
We might just follow in your footsteps 😉

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

Know what you mean about the roads, about 12 years ago we visited the Spa Classic at Spa-Francorchamps (Stavelot). I was with a classic car club ‘TR Register’ and did the journey in a 1973 Triumph TR6. Going out the E40 was hair raising with the wall-to-wall lorry traffic and our more rural return journey via Ypres wasn’t a great choice either for 1960s designed chassis & suspension!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for posting this! We have only just over a week and thought Belgium would be too far to explore.
We might just follow in your footsteps 😉
We left Cornwall on Friday night, arrived in Dunkirk on Saturday late afternoon and was in Belgium by the evening, did 700 miles over the week not including our 330 mile each way trip to the ferry. We left Dunkirk again on the following Saturday evening, we didn't feel rushed and managed to see quite a bit, but obviously it depends on your own perspective. We have kids at school still so are time limited and want to show the kids as much of Europe as possible!

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We left Cornwall on Friday night, arrived in Dunkirk on Saturday late afternoon and was in Belgium by the evening, did 700 miles over the week not including our 330 mile each way trip to the ferry. We left Dunkirk again on the following Saturday evening, we didn't feel rushed and managed to see quite a bit, but obviously it depends on your own perspective. We have kids at school still so are time limited and want to show the kids as much of Europe as possible!
How old are your children? We have a 12 year old son and are considering a trip to Belgium...even more so now I have read this thread.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
How old are your children? We have a 12 year old son and are considering a trip to Belgium...even more so now I have read this thread.
We have two daughters, 10 & 13. We saw the caves of Han, Dinant citidel, the castle ruins of Esch-sur-Sûre and did Luxembourg City and Bruges.
They've been brought up with the National Trust and such like so are used to being dragged around castles and the outdoors.
I always try and get a good swimming pool into our breaks as they love swimming.
Did a couple of Big drive days (150 miles) just to get down to the south of Belgium and back but WiFi and tablets got us through that unscathed.
The caves were our biggest expense at around 100euros, but we'll worth it. We opted for the 2 hour guided tour which bizarrely was the same price as the shorter one. The price included the museum and a tram ride to the cave entrance. The group is split into Dutch and French but our guide (the Dutch one) also did it in English for us which was nice.

All in all we had a thoroughly good time, the cracking weather helpt though.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We have two daughters, 10 & 13. We saw the caves of Han, Dinant citidel, the castle ruins of Esch-sur-Sûre and did Luxembourg City and Bruges.
They've been brought up with the National Trust and such like so are used to being dragged around castles and the outdoors.
I always try and get a good swimming pool into our breaks as they love swimming.
Did a couple of Big drive days (150 miles) just to get down to the south of Belgium and back but WiFi and tablets got us through that unscathed.
The caves were our biggest expense at around 100euros, but we'll worth it. We opted for the 2 hour guided tour which bizarrely was the same price as the shorter one. The price included the museum and a tram ride to the cave entrance. The group is split into Dutch and French but our guide (the Dutch one) also did it in English for us which was nice.

All in all we had a thoroughly good time, the cracking weather helpt though.
Thanks for sharing. We will definitely consider it.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Heading off to Luxembourg at end of the month and then onto Germany. One of your favourite stops is Vianden Aire it’s fantastic.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We've just come back from a week in Belgium with a short hop over to Luxembourg, just thought I'd share the sites that we stayed at we thought they were all very good.

View attachment 764367

Site: https://www.wervik.be/toerisme/overnachten/kampeerautoterreindebalokken/en

Lovely little Aire along the river Leie right on the French/Belgium border, only 8 spaces but it is bookable in advance for only 10euros. The price includes electricity, chemical waste and greywater disposal, fresh water is available for 1euro for 100Ltrs.
Very convenient if you are coming from Dunkirk as it is only 40 miles away with a Lidl nearby to stock up on supplies.

View attachment 764371

A charming little site on the bank of the River Lesse, we paid 27euros per night (2 Adults & 2 Children). This included electricity, fresh water & chemical waste & greywater disposal. You have to book via email or phone as they don't have any online booking facilities, and we paid upon arrival, the site had a nice clean toilet block with showers. Perfect location for visiting the Caves of Han, also highly recommended.

View attachment 764381

At only 10euros this place is an absolute steal, you get no fresh water, no electricity, no chemical & grey water disposal but with quite simply the best view over Dinant who cares! What is provided though is plenty of firewood for keeping warm whilst you admire the view over a glass of wine in the evening.

A little tricky to organize as the owner only speaks French, you have to book over email and he will let you know what times he is available to meet you at the location which is around 1/2 mile down a farm lane, even though we speak very little French he made us feel very welcome and is quite a funny chap.
From what we could see there were 4 spaces split on to 2 tiers, on our tier another van turned up later in the day but the owner arranges you so that you all have a view.

View attachment 764387

Another riverside site running alongside the river Sûre, this one was the most expensive at 29euros, and included electric, water, and chemical & greywater disposal.
There is a restaurant onsite, it looked very nice but we did not go in so I cannot comment.
There is a lovely walk along the river on a well-paved foot/cycle path to the Village of Esch-sur-Sûre, a very quaint place with ruins of the oldest castle in Luxembourg to explore and a few restaurants to refresh yourselves in before the walk back.
Also right outside the site is a bus stop that takes you to Ettelbruck and from there you can catch the train right into Luxembourg City, all very easy and best of all Free as there is no charge for public transport in Luxembourg!

We did stay at another site and although it was nice it was nothing to write home about, only went there for the swimming pool for the kids.

Overall Belgium & Luxemburg surprised us with how beautiful the countryside was and how relaxed it felt driving through it.
A really useful post, thank you

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If going into Luxembourg remember to fuel up there, it’s cheaper than the countries around it and all the garages are the same price.
Certainly was….
Topped up with 150ltr on the way down to Switzerland and another 160ltr on the way back home😁😁

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof

View attachment 764367

View attachment 764371

View attachment 764381

View attachment 764387

Is this the first one in your post?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back