A Class Fiat X250 2009 Gearbox Removal (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a gearbox problem with our Motorhome and need to remove it for repair just wondered if any one on here had removed theirs.

Thanks Chris

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Iv e not done one personally but I've seen photos of a Rapido a class being removed and it's not pretty. Officially the whole power plant has to come out, engine and box together. The complete power plant weighs a couple of hundred kilos so you'll need a good engine hoist and being an a class it will probably have to be dropped out so you're going to need probably around four or five feet of ground clearance. Good luck, I feel you're going to need it.

D.

OP
OP
hchris
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Dave was hoping drop 1 side of the engine and remove the gearbox after removing the driveshafts and disconnecting the necessary parts.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a gearbox problem with our Motorhome and need to remove it for repair just wondered if any one on here had removed theirs.

Thanks Chris
I have done one on a Tabbert FFB A class 2.5TD (to change the clutch). Most of what you need to get at can be accessed from below. The most fiddly part of the job is driveshaft removal that needs to be done first. The engine and gearbox can be lowered to the ground prior to separation. I didn't think at the time that it was particularly difficult. Before starting I put the front on axle stands so the tyres were just clear of the ground. I didn't take the engine out from under the van. If the van is coachbuilt or panel van life is even easier because the front rail and radiator etc. can be removed.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have done one on a Tabbert FFB A class 2.5TD (to change the clutch). Most of what you need to get at can be accessed from below. The most fiddly part of the job is driveshaft removal that needs to be done first. The engine and gearbox can be lowered to the ground prior to separation. I didn't think at the time that it was particularly difficult. Before starting I put the front on axle stands so the tyres were just clear of the ground. I didn't take the engine out from under the van. If the van is coachbuilt or panel van life is even easier because the front rail and radiator etc. can be removed.
With respect your tabbert was a completely different animal. Different engine, different gearbox, different chassis. The x250 6 speed gearbox is a heavy lump, a really heavy lump! As I said iv e not done one but my information suggests the whole 200plus kilo power plant has to be dropped out.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
You don’t need to take engine out but you have to drop sub frame done loads over many years on Peugeot boxer and Citroen relay , on a ramp at work takes approx 3 hours to get out

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With respect your tabbert was a completely different animal. Different engine, different gearbox, different chassis. The x250 6 speed gearbox is a heavy lump, a really heavy lump! As I said iv e not done one but my information suggests the whole 200plus kilo power plant has to be dropped out.

D.
OK OK There might have been minor changes I suppose ......... :LOL:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our first Motorhome an X250, had the gearbox mods done. Dealer hadn't done one before did it in ½ the time they expexted, they were able to just drop the gearbox out. I think it would be very difficult without a ramp.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
A bloke on our storage facility has been replacing his gearbox on a second generation Ducato based C class. All he had was two sturdy axle stands, loads of wood blocks, a two ton car trolley jack and a couple of mates. It was in bits for several weeks but all back together now.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ideally you are going to need a ramp & several engine/gearbox stands, now although I never personally done my VW T4 myself I did pass it on to my best mate & paid for 5.5 hours of labour at his workshop.
The book says it was a full front end removal however he managed to keep the engine in place & drop the box but he reported back that he had several engine & supports in place to hole & pull the engine to the point that the box could be removed.

Unfortunately this is how the modern vehicle is designed & hence why I hate working on them as they are all sub-frames nowadays.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I know an A Class is a slightly different beast, but I know that on a standard 250 you don’t have to remove the engine, just the box.

I was under a 250 the other day that had its gearbox removed and was on a stand beside the van, whilst mine was being MOTd

OP
OP
hchris
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Gearbox is out without removing the engine.
Cross member has to be removed along with the normal parts needed to be remove gearbox from a front wheel drive.
About 4.5 hours for 2 of us on the floor.
I suspect the box was low on oil but there are no visible leeks the oil no the top off the box is clutch fluid.
The original owner had a broken drive plate replaced in 2012 the invoice for the replacement clutch only shows 1 1/4 litres of oil gearbox oil.

Fiat gearbox.jpg
MH up on stands wheels were about 250mm off the ground before we started.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Gearbox is out without removing the engine.
Cross member has to be removed along with the normal parts needed to be remove gearbox from a front wheel drive.
About 4.5 hours for 2 of us on the floor.
I suspect the box was low on oil but there are no visible leeks the oil no the top off the box is clutch fluid.
The original owner had a broken drive plate replaced in 2012 the invoice for the replacement clutch only shows 1 1/4 litres of oil gearbox oil.

View attachment 307940
MH up on stands wheels were about 250mm off the ground before we started.

Id be interested to know the torque settings & routine for the n/s wheel I need to replace the drive shaft but can not find one to fit. I had a garage try 5 drive shafts about 4 years ago.

OP
OP
hchris
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Hub nut is 46mm torque is 150nm + 35 deg I would think this is for a new shaft.
I downloaded elearn for the X250 from the fiat forum very useful.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
The Hub nut is 46mm torque is 150nm + 35 deg I would think this is for a new shaft.
I downloaded elearn for the X250 from the fiat forum very useful.

I've downloaded the 7 rar files for the elearn…. but struggling from then. What did you do?

I've used 7zip to extract them - but they extract to different folders. I can't seem to get it to see they are one "split" archive.

If I extract the first iso file from the first rar file - I get lots of errors - albeit the directories/files get created, just with zero filesizes.

Any tips on what you did would be appreciated...

Thanks

Robin

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Being impatient, I paid £20 for one from emanuals.com - which means I had a 1gb download and I'm now using it in a virtual machine window... still at least I'm now in action.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I know an A Class is a slightly different beast, but I know that on a standard 250 you don’t have to remove the engine, just the box

Excuse my ignorance but why is an A class so different from a C class.

Apart from the obvious letter box bonnet.
The van is built on the van chassis is it not.

Just wondering ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Because they don’t have standard bonnets, wings, grills. In the standard van you will have better access, or be able to remove wings, grill etc to do certain jobs or gain access.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back