Rally 60's Soul Survivors Weekend (1 Viewer)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Let me clarify -I was thinking along the lines of last weeks Thretford bash when Mike and the band entertained us for an hour or two Saturday night after rehearsing for a few hours /couple of days -then on Sunday Simon got up and simply Blew us all away with what was left of the band not knowing what was coming next :Dbut they seemed to enjoy every minute once they got what Simon was playing and tagged on (y) No rehearsal :) but the smiles and exuberance on the faces of all was plain to see and hear -Don't think even Simon knew what he was playing -just went with the feel/flow -brilliant (y)
terry
Terry Mike and the Band were not FOC, they were paid for their band!!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Pat with respect, some of our music is pretty obscure and its inevitable there will be odd tracks they don't have . I asked for Johnny Bristol 'Man up in the Sky'. Rob had the original by Barrett Strong but not the Bristol version. Perhaps we should provide an internet connection next time for any difficult requests.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I emailed Ade of the 'All Nighters' regarding his unsolicited free posting on our Forum, and enquired about rates - this is his reply.

Apologies - no offence meant - we do the band thing on a very part-time basis as there's eight of us with family /work commitments etc, but as long as everyone can make a date (we can only commit to two gigs a month) we'd do a gig in Nottinghamshire for £1,000. For that we play two sets which together = 35 songs (1 hr 45m). Anyway, this is in no way a hard sell - I just didn't want you to think that all bands require a fortune to turn up and play a professional set of soul. We do it for the fun of it and some pocket money. Regards, Ade

Rough back of a fag packet arithmetic with hall hire, and four nights (late May Bank Hol) camping for 50 odd vans would work out in the region of £58 - £60 per unit. However we would only have the band entertaining us for 1.45 hours. Might still have to bring my laptop and turntable with me again.:rofl:

My thoughts are stick with DyNa-MiX. Young Rob put together an amazing event for us and IMO would be hard to replicate.
here here for Dyna Mix

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
On a more serious note I have been asked by Jude my N Muskham contact to check if anyone saw 'Beanz' who went missing over the weekend and could possibly have found his way into someones van.

Broken Link Removed

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
FB_IMG_1433179469525.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1433179469525.jpg
    FB_IMG_1433179469525.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Let me clarify -I was thinking along the lines of last weeks Thretford bash when Mike and the band entertained us for an hour or two Saturday night after rehearsing for a few hours /couple of days -then on Sunday Simon got up and simply Blew us all away with what was left of the band not knowing what was coming next :Dbut they seemed to enjoy every minute once they got what Simon was playing and tagged on (y) No rehearsal :) but the smiles and exuberance on the faces of all was plain to see and hear -Don't think even Simon knew what he was playing -just went with the feel/flow -brilliant (y)
terry
Terry - you forgot me!;):crying:

And Bev @Ralph-n-Bev - I can play a mean 'I feel good'...... on my uke ;):rofl::rofl:

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Pat with respect, some of our music is pretty obscure and its inevitable there will be odd tracks they don't have . I asked for Johnny Bristol 'Man up in the Sky'. Rob had the original by Barrett Strong but not the Bristol version. Perhaps we should provide an internet connection next time for any difficult requests.

Fair point Ken, not meant as a criticism just an observation, I thought the DJs did a great job.
BTW I hadn't heard the Bristol version either so thanks for that one.(y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry - you forgot me!;):crying:

And Bev @Ralph-n-Bev - I can play a mean 'I feel good'...... on my uke ;):rofl::rofl:
Gerry I did not forget you (y)I just did not mention knee knocking uke -You did brill even after Suggy playing the only3 songs you knew ;)Did not mention Suggy either ;)but as a general thing I thought Sunday's more or less spontaneous efforts were all very good -I think I can safely say that everyone who played Sunday night entertained us all and enjoyed doing so,it showed in the performance -
PS Gerry I had PMed Joy BEFORE YOU POSTED and told her of your very brave effort (y)took a lot of nerve to get up and do what you did (y)for what I think was your first time in such big company -well done you (y);)
terry
I had better mention the others -Martin, Richard,Reg, the very good base player who name escapes me and the 2 singers/one mouth organ player couple who again were brill and yet again I don't know there names ;)sorry if I forgot anyone else :)ooops the tamborine playing Ken

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Gerry I did not forget you (y)I just did not mention knee knocking uke -You did brill even after Suggy playing the only3 songs you knew ;)Did not mention Suggy either ;)but as a general thing I thought Sunday's more or less spontaneous efforts were all very good -I think I can safely say that everyone who played Sunday night entertained us all and enjoyed doing so,it showed in the performance -
PS Gerry I had PMed Joy BEFORE YOU POSTED and told her of your very brave effort (y)took a lot of nerve to get up and do what you did (y)for what I think was your first time in such big company -well done you (y);)
terry
I had better mention the others -Martin, Richard,Reg, the very good base player who name escapes me and the 2 singers/one mouth organ player couple who again were brill and yet again I don't know there names ;)sorry if I forgot anyone else :)ooops the tamborine playing Ken

Thank you for your lovely words - and for what it's worth you are my Favourite White Van Man!;):notworthy2:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you for your lovely words - and for what it's worth you are my Favourite White Van Man!;):notworthy2:
Yep Geraldine. @Terry phoned me when he arrived home to rub it in that he had thoroughly enjoyed taking my place at a fabulous meet :( and that you were funny and amazing and brave. Honestly. :)

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Fair point Ken, not meant as a criticism just an observation, I thought the DJs did a great job.
BTW I hadn't heard the Bristol version either so thanks for that one.(y)

the Bristol version was produced by Ian Levine (Blackpool Mecca fame) who was also responsible for rediscovering many of the artists we all loved, and re-rcording them with accompanying modern videos. Many of these video clips were used by Dynamix at the weekend i.e. 'Hit & Run' by Rose Batiste.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry Mike and the Band were not FOC, they were paid for their band!!
As much as I like Mike and the band I think the money would/should have gone to the Air Ambulance -never known them charge before and I know none of the following Sunday night entertainers got paid -not even so much as a free pint (y)
terry

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I must say, I like the ukes playing, I enjoy any live music playing. If they play loud enough, I can't hear myself singing out of tune lol

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Although we didn't attend this weekend I think that for the majority of soul fans who were actually there in the 60s live performances were the exception rather than the rule. We were brought up on listening to DJs spinning the vinyl. Groups tended to play chart stuff, not the rarer imports so for me if I get the chance to attend next year's "do" (there will be one, wont there?) I would probably be happier with a DJ.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Please note the final account for 60's Soul Survivors Meet.

Surplus Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Biscuits, Sauces, Napkins and spoons given to Runrig for use at Misterton Rally.

Income £1529.00
Expenditure £1529.00

A detailed breakdown of the account is available for scrutiny in XL format.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back