100 year old drivers. ....scary (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Nah it won't because I'd still feel crap if I caused someone's death.

Young drivers are penalised and pay ridiculous insurance premiums yet insurers give massive discounts to older drivers who simply aren't safe anymore

You would always feel 'crap', if you caused another to lose his or her life, (I hope), but being old is a very low factor in accident risk assessment. Oil on the carriageway, a bad decision on the part of a driver, peeps on mobiles, peeps pi**ed, much greater risk.
This should answer the second part of your reply. :)

Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
You would always feel 'crap', if you caused another to lose his or her life, (I hope), but being old is a very low factor in accident risk assessment. Oil on the carriageway, a bad decision on the part of a driver, peeps on mobiles, peeps pi**ed, much greater risk.
This should answer the second part of your reply. :)
Statistics also state women are safer drivers lol .....despite the many i see fixing makeup and texting at high speeds

I find any statistic can be made to show what you want t it to show :)

The bad driving shown on that programme was horrendous most drove in the middle of the road and the only reason accidents were avoided was down to the other drivers quick reactions and avoiding them

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Age is not the important factor, it is capability.
John

That's it exactly.

I have an annual eye sight test and am asked if I drive. I always ask is my eyesight good enough to drive. No matter if the opthalmist says I'm okay once I feel I am not seeing well enough I will stop driving. I routinely test myself by reading number plates at a distance - not sure why but it's something we did as kids, making up phrases with the letters..... so XX111 ABC would be "Adam bakes cakes". Easily amused we was!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Blanket laws in my mind are never fair. For many elderly or centenarians living in remote areas who use their car just to get to the jym or maybe play tennis or get them to the cross country running club to enable them to keep fit should not be given the same test designed for young drivers who could cover 100 k motorway or London miles each year.
Many elderly use their car as a lifeline to travel along deserted roads at low speeds, I dont see a problem with that.
Besides.....everyday of my driving life I see many many middle-aged drivers who's ability leaves a lot to be desired. Most if questioned would think their driving is impeccable. Only if the hat fits.:whistle:

Here, here!

There's too many laws brought in to solve one problem and yet impact on other innocents.

They keep talking about forcing everyone to wear bike helmets when cycling, but surely there's a MASSIVE difference between someone on a racing road bike weaving through rush hour traffic in London and me pottering along the canal path in Yorkshire at less than 10 mph. A BIG difference, I'd say.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Here, here!

There's too many laws brought in to solve one problem and yet impact on other innocents.

They keep talking about forcing everyone to wear bike helmets when cycling, but surely there's a MASSIVE difference between someone on a racing road bike weaving through rush hour traffic in London and me pottering along the canal path in Yorkshire at less than 10 mph. A BIG difference, I'd say.
Could not agree more yorkieman....(y)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
And they only wanted 100 or younger
There was 103yr old woman on it who said she loves to speed and has managed to get herself put of 3 previous speeding tickets :0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It wasnt the old duffers who surprised me........it was the clown of a driving instructor in the last bit who declared the old fool fit to drive.

Have you checked your mirrors

What

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR MIRRORS

what

HAVE......YOU......CHECKED.......YOUR....MIRRORS (pointing at mirrors)

Yes (as he adjusts interior mirror)

You couldnt make it up

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
It wasnt the old duffers who surprised me........it was the clown of a driving instructor in the last bit who declared the old fool fit to drive.

Have you checked your mirrors

What

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR MIRRORS

what

HAVE......YOU......CHECKED.......YOUR....MIRRORS (pointing at mirrors)

Yes (as he adjusts interior mirror)

You couldnt make it up
Lol yeah and the amount of times he grabbed the steering wheel ......and then said he was happy about his driving ......any new driver would have failed for that

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I was overtaken on the M4 on the way to work on Tuesday by a VW Golf doing about 80, the young woman who I glimpsed as she past was feeding her baby in the reversed child seat. That wasn't the first occasion I've seen that happen. You can't legislate for idiots, but there's a lot of sense been spoken here and I for one am going to have my eyesight checked annually rather than every two years as it is currently. As to my driving skills, I think I'm brilliant and therein lies the problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was overtaken on the M4 on the way to work on Tuesday by a VW Golf doing about 80, the young woman who I glimpsed as she past was feeding her baby in the reversed child seat. That wasn't the first occasion I've seen that happen. You can't legislate for idiots, but there's a lot of sense been spoken here and I for one am going to have my eyesight checked annually rather than every two years as it is currently. As to my driving skills, I think I'm brilliant and therein lies the problem.
i dont think im a brilliant driver.....i know i am.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i hope she had disabled the airbag system.......but somehow i doubt it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Glad she got it right!! At that speed, it's oh so easy to stick a 'Boys Own' CD into the babies gob, and three spoonfuls of Cow and Gate 'Follow on Titty Milk' into the CD player. Messy. Can take hours for the baby to pass a CD:(

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Glad she got it right!! At that speed, it's oh so easy to stick a 'Boys Own' CD into the babies gob, and three spoonfuls of Cow and Gate 'Follow on Titty Milk' into the CD player. Messy. Can take hours for the baby to pass a CD:(
I think thats boyzone lol

And your showing your age lol cd's are so last decade it's sd cards we use these days :p

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No, it was the comic. :):)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I think thats boyzone lol

And your showing your age lol cd's are so last decade it's sd cards we use these days :p

I tried that but it just dropped into the back of the player!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I tried that but it just dropped into the back of the player!:rolleyes:
Pmsl ......best stereos out there for motorhomes .....Aldi Tevion ....has bluetooth for your phone , remote control so can work from.your bed ( for those Barry white moments) and takes sd cards to fit your entire music collection on taking up no space and not needing changed for days on end I use 8 gb sd cards in mine each hold around 100 albums :)

£45 from Aldi

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And your showing your age lol cd's are so last decade it's sd cards we use these days

Listen PAL! I only just got rid of the 8 track, and that's because my 'Judge Dread' tape had broken! Cost me £20.00 BRAND NEW that did, Japanese crap! :(:(

What the hell is an sd card?? Do you get one off JJ at Christmas?? If you do, it would be a bl**dy miracle, because he never sends any! Is there some new machine that plays these cards??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back