Wheel Trims - This may be stating the obvious but just in case there's one person yet to know (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I take it you mean the Allen screws that hold the TyrePal's tight.
They are an absolute pain to fit or remove on mine too so next time I remove them I won't use the allen screws again.
I'm told that they are not really necessary to keep the sensors in place, only to stop them being nicked........unless anyone knows better.

Richard.
Well yes. Possibly if not putting Allen screws back, that could work

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Yep I learnt the hard way, lost a wheel trim on way home from Rutland water last year. Cost be about £40 (I think) for a new one I now have tie wraps on each wheel.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Good intentions appreciated (y).

However I've never had one come off anything ever - and I've never used cable ties. Why should they come off?

Potholes in the UK. I hit one in Lynton north Devon that actually dislodged the outer end of the outer CV rubber boot !!!!!!! Nightmare fixing that at the daughter's as the stainless clamps are under the outer hub. So losing wheel trims, 2 last year & one on front actually had cable ties on it,:( is easy.:D2
Having said that when I was up near Alicante last year perusing the offerings on the Chinese wholesalers industrial estate one had car parts & a huge range of wheel trims @ 1e each . minimum spend 50€ Might have a look when I am up their Thursday :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Having said that when I was up near Alicante last year perusing the offerings on the Chinese wholesalers industrial estate one had car parts & a huge range of wheel trims @ 1e each . minimum spend 50€ Might have a look when I am up their Thursday :)
OK, we've found our Swap Shop CEO!(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Nipple piercings in Cornwall Mr B

OTE="buttons, post: 2260890, member: 8178"]I think they use them as ear rings in Essex......:whistle:
[/QUOTE]

Ah, But, That's for the fella's.

The ladies doon ere use dustbin lids, wheel rims is too small.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Surely they're designed to stay on. I do have cable ties on but that is to make it a little more difficult for someone to steal them.
We had Four lovely trims with cable ties ( as have seen them come off moving vehicles) and some scrote sneaked down our drive and cut the ties and stole the trims! No doubt selling on eBay they made a mess trying to get the ford badge too.:mad:
We live in a quiet road on a culdesac as no other ford car was touched !
Needless to say we bought some new ones as didn't want to buy back ours off eBay! But only put them on when going away!!:LOL:
Must have Holly looking good!!;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Despite what some say they can and do come off. For example, hitting a pothole can send a wheel trim along the road easily. It's a few seconds job to cut the cable ties off if you want to check wheel bolts and the ties are easy and cheap to replace. It's a no brainier really if you want to be sure they will stay in place and possibly avoid causing an accident or have them nicked, presumably by someone who didn't use ties.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just read this after checking all wheels and tyres before a long trip.

Clipped off cable ties, cleaned wheel, checked wheel nuts, checked pressures and refitted trims, together with cable ties. I can check my tyre pressures with the wheel trims in situ but cannot attach an airline.

Having cable ties on makes tyre inflation awkward but, total cost of eight cable ties, in this instance, approx 60p, cost of set of wheel trims £40 plus, no brainier to me!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Lost mine on the M62...WHEEL TRIM that is. The heavens had opened the m/way was awash,a car came by in the fast lane,not over quickly,but the bow wave was up to the bottom of the drivers window on the renault masterful.When filling with water later that night,spotted one was missing,so i think it must have washed off. "£40" for a new one ,its the type that clips over the wheel nuts,so cannot be cable tied. I could buy a whole set of "Wheel trims" that clip into the rim of the wheel...£29. off ebay.
Tea Bag

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
One of the things that was better on the older X244 Ducatos. Put the wheel on with one bolt nearest to the tyre valve just to hold it - wheel trim then slips over that - then the remaining 4 bolts hold the wheeltrim on as well as the wheel! So simple, I wonder why they stopped doing that?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Slightly OT on this but I saw some 15" wheel trims at Lidl today and for a full set for £9.99 Bargain

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Despite what some say they can and do come off. For example, hitting a pothole can send a wheel trim along the road easily. It's a few seconds job to cut the cable ties off if you want to check wheel bolts and the ties are easy and cheap to replace. It's a no brainier really if you want to be sure they will stay in place and possibly avoid causing an accident or have them nicked, presumably by someone who didn't use ties.
However, if in over 40 years of motoring, one has never lost a hub cap or wheel trim, what would be the point? If they are fitted correctly I cannot see how any normal motoring incident could cause one to dislodge. They should require substantial effort to shift them by hand. In the days before bead-trapping (tubeless) rims were common they had nasty serrated steel clips to hold them on and they could (and did) fail. Modern rims and shaped and sprung retention fingers mean they stay where they're put.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
However, if in over 40 years of motoring, one has never lost a hub cap or wheel trim, what would be the point? If they are fitted correctly I cannot see how any normal motoring incident could cause one to dislodge. They should require substantial effort to shift them by hand. In the days before bead-trapping (tubeless) rims were common they had nasty serrated steel clips to hold them on and they could (and did) fail. Modern rims and shaped and sprung retention fingers mean they stay where they're put.

If yours have stayed on that's good. However I and other posters have lost wheel trims. Do you suggest we all fitted them incorrectly or are exaggerating. Those fitted to my 2008 Fiat certainly show signs that they could come off which is why I and others use ties, even garages replace ties if they remove a wheel, I doubt they would if it were not desirable and whether you can see it or not it's a fact that they can come off, particularly if one hits a pothole which is all to likely these days.

Other posters have confirmed they can and do come off and I would rather spend a few pence on ties and have the certainty of avoiding untoward events like causing an accident or damage to another vehicle or injury to a pedestrian which are so easily avoided.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I was about to sell my previous m/h I noticed a missing wheel trim. I couldn't get just one trim to match so I bought a pair of matching ones from a Halfords 'Manager's Clearance' bin for next to nothing, and fitted both on the same side since you can't see both sides at once. The new buyer didn't notice (y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If you loose one wheel trim you should be able to get a matching replacement from CPA ...... it may of course turn out to be one of your own.

CPA = Car Park Accessories:whistle:

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
They are usually classed as UFO's...Unintentional Flying Obstacles.
Some wheel clamps need the trim to be taken off before it will go on!
I did not like the style of the mag wheels on offer, so plumped for trims. Mag wheels are a matter of personal choice where the look of them comes into play. I'll get a set I like when changing the tyres.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
They are usually classed as UFO's...Unintentional Flying Obstacles.
Some wheel clamps need the trim to be taken off before it will go on!
I did not like the style of the mag wheels on offer, so plumped for trims. Mag wheels are a matter of personal choice where the look of them comes into play. I'll get a set I like when changing the tyres.
We went to separate schools together

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back