rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice job ... the ONLY addition I would make is to have some fat 'sausages' made to sit on the top of the sofa seat backs/little shelves so that they are higher and more comfortable than low backs. I've seen these on other vans and they are usually attached with Velcro so can be removed when required.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Mel,
I can't say I've seen those before.
The big cushions are great for leaning against. They are quite firm and big.
Plus across the back there are 3 bolster cushions. Instead of the foam filled usual back rest.
We both lounge , feet up, back against the back doors. Facing the front of the van to watch TV or read etc.
Depending on the angle you sit, you can rest your head on the leather pad in the corner too.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have followed this thread with grate interest brilliant job well done and one of the best build blogs I have seen
thanks for sharing it with us
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mel,
I can't say I've seen those before.
The big cushions are great for leaning against. They are quite firm and big.
Plus across the back there are 3 bolster cushions. Instead of the foam filled usual back rest.
We both lounge , feet up, back against the back doors. Facing the front of the van to watch TV or read etc.
Depending on the angle you sit, you can rest your head on the leather pad in the corner too.
This isn't the one as the top ' bolster' parts on top of the back cushions are part of the main cushion but it gives you an idea of what the ones with the removable top bolster section looks like. I'll keep hunting for the ones I'm talking about!

DSC_10762.jpg

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well, Ralph's had a break from Pug, not doing anything since returning from Regal.
He's had man flu. I rekon it's because he' had a rest. Not good for him. ;)
It usually happens when we gave a holiday.....
Upshot Is he's put on some weight. So he's not such a narrow back anymore. :laughing:

We ran out of time To build with our insurance , the end of this month, we were panicking . The company we were with , wouldn't renew , down to underwriters .
We had an extortionate quote from Adrian Flux. £900 . :Eeek: We aren't old fogies or teenagers!!
Saying we'd only paid £300. With CC club. We were a bit miffed.

As we wanted to go to a rally this weekend, and insurance Was running out, we wanted cover , so we would be on the road.

Terry kindly gave us air sports but we got no reply as it was after tea. Shut.

I pm'd a new member , doing his own build, . He told us about Scenic insurance , Well known on a self build forum . Upshot is we ended Up paying £350 with £50 being legal cover, inc 30 days abroad ! We've got 90 days to finish. He deserves a big drink, if ever he dare wear a wooly hat :wink:
This company knew what they were talking about. Were friendly and did their stuff.
Flux on the other hand ...... The woman kept him on the phone almost an hour. He had to tell her what he wanted, she didn't really have a clue. Then came back with £900 and wouldn't budge .
So, Ralph has 90 days to finish pug.
Everyone keep your fingers crossed........

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Grand job Ralph and Bev, its moved on since I last looked, we was hoping to see it at Misterton, but decided to go over to Ireland on Tuesday for a month, so it will be some other time. (y)
IH has competition. :LOL: Bob.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Respect to you Ralph, that interior is looking amazing
pete

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I am so pleased I was able to be of some assistance to Bev & Ralph.

Although I currently have 3 policies with Adrian Flux, I will not be continuing with them if I can possibly help it as I find their sales techniques to be so totally abhorrent!
In my searches some months ago I found Scenic Insurance (http://www.scenicinsurance.co.uk/) and would have insured my Master with them, but then I didn't believe I could carry out the complete conversion and register it with the DVLA within 90 days, so I unfortunately took up the option of using Adrian Flux again....... darn it!

Since finding Scenic and their amazing knowledge, I put up their names to the self building forum I am on and am pleased to know now that quite a few members have now moved their insurance across to them.

One interesting point I discovered with Scenic was that the insurance company they broker their business to isn't bothered about accident no claims history or drivers age when it comes to insuring motorhomes.

denzil

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
Hi Bev just catching up on here after our trip to Scotland in Mizzie which was fab! The Pug is looking amazing. Ralph you are one very talented fella. Every trip in the pug will be so special after all the planning, thought and 100% hard graft that have gone into making it perfect. Enjoy!!! Ralph Hope you are feeling better and I'm positive you will hit that 90 day deadline.

Den and Wil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
He will do it easy Bev I feel like I am doing everything twice :D something turns up so I alter it :) at least Ralph did a lot of planning and knew what you wanted (y)Me I just steamed in :DIf it needs MODIFYING so be it ;)So long as it's right in the end :)
Terry

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Grand job Ralph and Bev, its moved on since I last looked, we was hoping to see it at Misterton, but decided to go over to Ireland on Tuesday for a month, so it will be some other time. (y)
IH has competition. :LOL: Bob.
f
Going to Ireland on Thursday :) look out for 2 vans CI Mizar and swift Lifestyle, give us a wave or come say hello

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just been out fitting a water expansion tank to Pug. I put one on our Mizar but left it in , when we sold her to Denzil . It makes the water run more smoothly. ( if you don't already know)
Don't think I'm going to fit the Compressor fridge for this weekends trip, don't want to rush it. Plus I'm still building cupboards . Have got shelfs to fit in the overheads and to hang the doors yet. I would hate to scratch the bloody thing, it cost more than the one we have in our kitchen :Eeek:
Terry I started with a plan, but had to change lots of it as I went along. Several times. Fortunately before I fixed things in.
The hardest bits done now. Plus we can be using Pug. Albeit not finished. But at least we can get away , for the odd weekend.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Have you sent all the photos to the DVLA yet Ralph-n-Bev?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
No cos we aren't ready. No water tanks , waste tanks, sink , cooker, cupboard doors , bathroom doors . Hence having to have previous self build cover cancelled. It's not registered as a mh with dvla yet.
The reason we had the upholstery done last week, was cos we'd booked in back in January. We didn't want to lose our spot.
I thought I'd be finished then, and that would be the icing on the cake. But I'm that busy at work, and there's only so many hours in a weekend and after work I can do.

Anyway I've not worked on the build this week. I've had man flu really bad. ;)
I think I Burnt myself out.
But the upshot is I've put a stone back on , of the 2 stone I lost.
Bev says I look a lot better for it. Must say I feel a lot better.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Glad your feeling better Ralph - now get cracking on with it, and don't forget to take your camera :LOL::LOL: am having cold turkey symptoms - don't know whats worse - man flu or cold turkey :D

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
No water tanks , waste tanks, sink .

Where or who are you planning to use CAK or Barratts and will you be doing it yourself or letting them grovel around underneath?

I will be hanging my own tanks and plan to be buying them from CAK (even if they don't give discounts!), with the filler points installed where I want them to be. They will be hung before I put the insulation for the floors down.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Where or who are you planning to use CAK or Barratts and will you be doing it yourself or letting them grovel around underneath?

I will be hanging my own tanks and plan to be buying them from CAK (even if they don't give discounts!), with the filler points installed where I want them to be. They will be hung before I put the insulation for the floors down.

Hi Buzzy, Sorry for the delay in replying. I am just about to do an update and saw your post.
I will be using Barratts for my tanks, they are a 15 minute drive from me so its handy.
I called the other week with the van hoping they could measure up. As i dont have the underslung water heater www.whalepumps.com/rv/news-item.aspx?News_ID=10033#.VXXw2M9Viko in yet, or the Webasto which also goes underneath he advised me to wait till they are in and fit the tanks then.
This way i can fit the biggest tanks possible. Barrats are going to fit me a heater element in the fresh water along with the CBE tank level gauge. I also intend to insulate the fresh water before fitting myself. Hoping to have 90L fresh water and 60L grey (y)

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hi Buzzy, Sorry for the delay in replying. I am just about to do an update and saw your post.
I will be using Barratts for my tanks, they are a 15 minute drive from me so its handy.
Barratts................ mmmmmmm if you had been able to join the forum club that you and I know about and which I am a member of and you had a lot of difficulty trying to join and so gave up............. well if you had been a member, Shaun gives a thumping great 20% discount to members of that Club.

Because of my distance from Shaun and because he doesn't do many Masters, he wanted me to drive all the way over to his place so that he could measure up. So as this is a 300 + miles round trip I have decided to buy some off the shelf tanks from CAK into which I will cut my own holes. My tanks will be smaller as I am being very careful about weight.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well, after Man flu, and a weekend rallying with the funsters, it was back to work on the PVC (y)
Over the weekend i finished wiring up the usb and 12v charging points, in and under the overhead lockers.
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG

I fitted some JBL bad boy speakers , Under the over head cupboards, the avtex can be connected , as well as the media player.
I also fitted a very bright led light in the boot space.

IMG_6057.JPG
IMG_6055.JPG

After finishing the electrical jobs i set about shelving and lining the overhead lockers.
IMG_6036.JPG

The shelves have a lip on the front, Its only 6mm ply covered in Veltrim to keep annoying rattles down
IMG_6038.JPG

As you can see we also have doors fitted now :)

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG
IMG_6042.JPG

Continued on next post.

Attachments

• IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
IMG_6045.JPG
IMG_6041.JPG

The locker doors are fitted using DGN soft close hinges. This type of hinge has been around for years and the latest soft closers are fully adjustable.
IMG_6059.JPG

Fitting the hinges to the inside of the lockers would be almost impossible without this very handy right angle driver (y)
IMG_6060.JPG

I must say its nice to be fitting things like doors and handles. It just starts to become a Campervan, the plan you had in your mind from day one all starts to come together :)

Next weekend i will cut the worktop template for the Corian experts to do their bit. Next its the bathroom door and weather permitting
the Twin solar panels (y)

Cheers for now.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@Buzzy-Beans If i can save 20% i will just have to join :LOL: Barratt haven't quoted me yet cant see there being a problem.
Shaun at Barratt really nows what he is talking about. He advised me against the design i wanted because the tank would trap air in the top. The System he uses gets round this with a venting valve in the top.He also doesn't fit right to the van floor so that other services can cross over the top of the tank if required. Something to consider if using the CAK type.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Glad your feeling better Ralph - now get cracking on with it, and don't forget to take your camera :LOL::LOL: am having cold turkey symptoms - don't know whats worse - man flu or cold turkey :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Hope your feeling better now :D

You do crack me up Toxic (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Been a while since I looked in a your thread and rather than go through and like all your posts ill just say what a fantastic job you have done... hope to see your van at a meet one day....
Ta Andy.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
This PVC Build is looking extremely tasty - in posts way back it was looking really good but now the internals are coming together its exceeding expectations, i would never have though it could look so professionally built - its a real credit to you Ralph ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back