Are Burstner motorhomes winterised as standard? (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I guess this is a bit late in the day to ask the question, but am I likely to be able to use my Burstner in winter?

I have a 2016 Ixeo Time Sovereign 745, the broker said it could be used in winter but now I am wondering if he was just making that up?

Thoughts please, or facts if there are any out there!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Winterised means different things to different people. Some say that it isn't properly winterised unless it has double floor?
The acid test is, can your motorhome function, with you in it, in low(or very low temperatures) .

Important thing to me is water before and after you use it.
If you are staying in the MH when it is sub zero, then you will have the heating on - so will any water, in tanks and pipes, be subject to freezing. Our Burstner has a 'fresh' water tank in the habitation area so shouldnt freeze. Waste water is in an insulated underslung tank. Most of the water pipes are onboard so shouldnt freeze. Some grey water pipes are under the van but if working properly should drain empty into the tank.

Next think about lpg. Propane will gasify at lower temps than butane therefore function better in the winter.

Heating should be controllable to maintain a sufficient temp at night to stop things freezing up but not too warm to stop you sleeping.
We have never used ours at anything below - 5°, but were quite comfortable at that temp.

Good Luck,

Barry

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi Barry

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

It kind of matches what I thought.

Certainly my clean water tank is sitting largely under my half dinette seat, within inches of the Turma heater, so I don't expect any issues there! :)

Grey water was the are I was worried a little about, mine is in an underslung grey tank, there is no indication it is insulated but I would hope so!

I am running on red Calor bottle already, so gas should not be a problem.

I had been seeing comments about noble floor and grey water heaters, which is what prompted me to ask the question!

Now all I have to do is persuade the wife to go out in the van in winter!!!!!!

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Grey water was the are I was worried a little about, mine is in an underslung grey tank, there is no indication it is insulated but I would hope so!
People often use a bucket in the winter so the grey water goes straight into that and does not stay in the tank where it might freeze. Some vans have tank heaters too (mine does). Mine is a British van and the winterisation is fairly nominal I think. I do use it all year round but I strongly suspect that a few days below zero would show it to be sadly lacking. Yours should be far better.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
People often use a bucket in the winter so the grey water goes straight into that and does not stay in the tank where it might freeze. Some vans have tank heaters too (mine does). Mine is a British van and the winterisation is fairly nominal I think. I do use it all year round but I strongly suspect that a few days below zero would show it to be sadly lacking. Yours should be far better.

Actually as an ex-caravaner and first time motorhomes, literally only managed my first trip a couple of weeks ago after picking up van a week before lockdown!

I have left room in the motorhome for my old grey water caontainer, which I used very successfully on my first trip out, using this in cold weather and running straight through grey tank does sound like the best solution! Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Do you end up with a bucket sized ice block?
Phil

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we did 6 days with nights -12 last christmas in a burstner delphin it was ok but not as warm as i had hoped cab was cold of a night despite lots of blankets to cut the drafts

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect if people can sleep in tents on the top of Everest you can stay in your van in the winter.

Whether you will enjoy it or find it very comfortable is another matter.

We had a Autotrail Tracker and now an PVC IH. Both would have cold floors and cab area in the winter.

We never used it in the winter as for me it was just not comfortable.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a Burstner and have stayed in it in freezing cold weather on a camp site...... but used the gas heating.... The electric hook up heating is RUBBISH. :(

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
but used the gas heating.... The electric hook up heating is RUBBISH
Interesting observation. I must compare them in my van sometime. I'm usually on a hook-up so electricity. It's "marginal" in very cold weather.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I HAVE A BURSTNER 👍
No idea on using in the winter as not tried it yet. From my limited knowledge, there are burstners and burstners. Mine has alko chassis with double floor and alde wet central heating, others are based on a standard fiat or other chassis. So you may need to check what you have. 👍
Ref movans comment on the electric heating, most have a 2kw heater as max, gas should be hotter, unsure on KW rating.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting observation. I must compare them in my van sometime. I'm usually on a hook-up so electricity. It's "marginal" in very cold weather.

If you have a Truma - they run at about 1/2 the power on electric as they do on gas.

Most people heat the van on gas and then just maintain the temperature on electric (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Tonka has got the nearest to answering the OP question, but not completely.

The rest of the posts hardly mention Burstner.

Some posts are just written just to keep the OP at the top of the list.

Tonka posted 10 hours after the OP posted

Do you really think he would have seen it on page 2 or 3 or may 4 ?

Please try to be helpful to the OP - do you really consider your post is helpful to him or any other future OP ?

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Thanks for all the responses.

it gives me a little more confidence to experiment! 😁

FYI, my van is on Fiat chassis and Trina, boy do I miss the Alde wet system from my caravan!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I guess this is a bit late in the day to ask the question, but am I likely to be able to use my Burstner in winter?

I have a 2016 Ixeo Time Sovereign 745, the broker said it could be used in winter but now I am wondering if he was just making that up?

Thoughts please, or facts if there are any out there!
Hymer give a description of <Broken link removed>

Hymer say:

Manufacturers use the two terms to refer to grades II and III as defined in the DIN standards EN 1645-1 for caravans and EN 1646-1 for motorhomes, for which there is a precisely prescribed test procedure with four phases:

So you just need to find out which EN number standard your Burster meets

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I too am a Burstner owner and for us having a fully winterised van was a priority as we wish to use it to go snowboarding in the winter months. Our model has a double floor, with both tanks and heating ducts being contained within this to prevent any freezing occurring.
If your grey tank is underslung, you should be able to see fairly easily if there is any insulation by both looking and feeling the tank. If there isn't and you wish to use the van (without the bucket!) In sub zero conditions then you still have options... You can add an anti freeze solution to the grey tank, have a look in the Reimo catalogue for more information on this. You can also install heating pads and insulation on and around the tank itself. If you choose this route be aware that they are fairly power hungry and best used when on hookup.
If I may, to finish, go back to your caravanning comment. If the waste water container you mentioned is a waste-master or something similar, then it isn't generally recommended. The reason people talk about a bucket is that if it freezes, you can still empty your grey, bucket shaped ice cube out of the bucket. If your grey water freezes inside your waste master, it's not coming out until it defrosts!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
2019 Burstner Iexo 736 A class. Last winter in France low as -12c. Fresh water tank has warm air duct and is located under near side settee fine, grey water tank not insulated or heated keep drain tap open used bucket fine. Grey drain outlet quite low to floor use shallow wide bucket, 10 litre plastic paint one ideal.
re heating Truma on electric only 2 kw, so don’t expect too much, on gas heats van fine but a bit heavy on gas, but it’s a big van, gas only close on 12 litres for three days heating set at 19c. Temp -12 c overnight didn’t rise above 0c during day van parked up no use of engine or hook up. When parking up in cold weather I always put heater on recirculated air settling before turning engine off, if your are facing into the wind it’s surprising the cold that leaks in through the ducts. Don’t forget to empty the bucket regular. If unable to use bucket I put some antifreeze in waste tank .

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We ski two months a year, all off hook. Now have a Rapido, but spent three winters in a previous van -
Burstner Nexxo 728G. Took a lot of gas to keep it warm, but other than that, fine. (For reference about 2x 11kg Gaslow a week). As above, drain into a bucket. Hint of the day - don't kick the bucket to remove the ice block with boots on. It cracks. Ask me how I know this!! Much of the time we didn't fill the fresh water tank - we used jerry cans instead. Less convenient, but removes the risk of the water system freezing. In any case, much of the time you can't fill with a hose conveniently, taps a generally frozen.

gvj

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top Ducato
Exp
2 years
We regularly use ours in the alps. Propane plus electric fan heater if on hook up. Silver Screens extra length insulated cab cover. Make sure the frost protection valve stays closed. Bucket under open grey water tank. Snow chains and winter tyres and you're good to go.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We had a Burstner A Class 2008 for nearly 10 year and used to visit the Alps every year staying on camp sites and Aires - No double floor. Your Burstner will be fine in the winter - don't worry - no problems in the UK - if going anywehere at higher latitude or altitude then just do a bit more research on here to help you manage better in the van - but it will be OK. Using the van in the winter is no problem and enjoyable - enjoy your travels when things allow.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Story against myself.

Before I bought I understood all Niesmann&Bischoff were winterised. When I found my Arto 69GL9"003) I did not check it had a double floor, which I thought it had to have for the tanks to be heated.

I was a bit disappointed when I realised it has not got a double floor. I later discovered that the tanks are boxed-in in heated areas, so it is after all winterised.

Other makes and models might have the same set-up, even if not double floored.

We have not tried it for skiing yet but at least I have the confidence it could do it.

Geoff

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Story against myself.

Before I bought I understood all Niesmann&Bischoff were winterised. When I found my Arto 69GL9"003) I did not check it had a double floor, which I thought it had to have for the tanks to be heated.

I was a bit disappointed when I realised it has not got a double floor. I later discovered that the tanks are boxed-in in heated areas, so it is after all winterised.

Other makes and models might have the same set-up, even if not double floored.

We have not tried it for skiing yet but at least I have the confidence it could do it.

Geoff

Same for us with the Hymer Exsis. All pipes are inboard as is the waste tap, tanks are in heated and insulated compartments.

Used to caravan all year round. Only problem we ever had was when it got to -5 you had to bring the pipe and water pump in as it would freeze in the pipe coming from the Aqua roll.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back