SOG toilet systems (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
So no need for the `pink` in my toilet water tank either then?

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
So no need for the `pink` in my toilet water tank either then?

I think I would still use the "pink" as it cleans around the bowl. Household cleaners are meant for ceramic and can damage plastics and seals. Toilet brushes will scratch the plastic surfaces. Unless, of course, bio washing liquid added to the flush tank would do the trick ?

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Are you sure you have a separate water tank for flushing I have a 2006 swift and the flush comes from the main water tank. You will not need the pink stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
No-one has posted yet on info with a full spare cassette.
Just wondering about build up of gas and spillage danger. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Glad someone else started this as I was about to.......

OK, first van, not used yet has a SOG toilet, salesman said it was `supposed` to be able to be used without chemicals, but he went on to say he does not know anyone who does not still use chemicals in one.

We were given 2 bottles of `stuff`, one pink and one blue, pink goes in with the water and blue in the container, is that the right way round?

Without too much graphic details, can anyone explain the difference between a SOG and whatever the other sort is called please.

Have not put any in yet, or any water, was probably going to get round to it this week.

So, do we `need` the blue, the pink, both or neither??

Also, just been thinking, have not seen anywhere that tells me when the water for the toilet is about to run out, main panel tells me how much fresh and waste water I have, but not the toliet.
Surely it`s not a matter of flushing it and then finding out it is empty, or is it?

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve Basically if your van has a SOG then all you need to do is change the filter once a year (if you can be bothered)No need to add anything.You open the sluice (this turns on the fan)do the business / flush and shut the sluice.This turns off the fan ::bigsmile:
As to blue /pink stuff when not using the sog or if you do not have one, the pink goes into the flush tank (lots are fed from clean water tank now so no separate flush tank to use pink in )and the blue stuff you put into the empty cassette :thumb: They changed the make up of blue years ago so no nasty stuff in it now:winky:
Smells ? none but I have had the sluice open while driving (I blame her:winky:)and in theory the fan should work and keep the smell going out of the cassette but in practice it stank the loo to hell :Eeek:BAD smell does not come into it :Eeek::Eeek:We now make sure it is shut and leave an inch of water in the loo :winky: live and learn ::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Are you sure you have a separate water tank for flushing I have a 2006 swift and the flush comes from the main water tank. You will not need the pink stuff

Positive.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Toilet Tip

We mix the pink with water in an empty household spray bottle
and use to spray around toilet bowl when loo has been used.
This saves on stored water as our uses onboard tank and also
the cassette does not fill up as quick as it would with flushed water.:thumb:
Works well for us.:thumb::thumb:

Regards
Steve

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Toilet Tip

We mix the pink with water in an empty household spray bottle
and use to spray around toilet bowl when loo has been used.
This saves on stored water as our uses onboard tank and also
the cassette does not fill up as quick as it would with flushed water.:thumb:
Works well for us.:thumb::thumb:

Regards
Steve

That would also work well for us in the middle of the night when our flush tank ran dry. Save Mrs k frightening people when she was running around in her "cosy pjs" when trying to fill the tank. :whatthe: I, of course, would be still in bed offering such encouragement as "I'll fill it in the morning" and "just chuck a cup of water down it and get back to bed cos my feet are cold". :winky: :thumb:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
SOG

Hi there,
Sog system is great. remember not to take the comments from folks who have never used this too seriously. THe SOG works well and really does stop the nasty chemical and (other) smells from filling your van. THe only downside that I have noticed is the ******y whiff while emptying the cassette. The tips previously mentioned as to adding a cheap aroma to the cassettte before emptying are probably useful, however they somewhat defeat the purpose of not using chemicals. Overall, it's a great system. THe contents of the cassette appear to go slushy quicker than with chemicals and the cassette is easier to empty.
Get it fitted.
Regards Weejohnw

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thank you to everyone who has given their opinion on SOGs.

The one question still unanswered is : are the stoppers robust/strong enough/secure enough to be carried in the spare tank carrier without self emptying on route to anywhere.

Before I commit to having a SOG fitted I need to be sure I won't be polluting the highways and by-ways as I intend to carry a spare cassette anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thank you to everyone who has given their opinion on SOGs.

The one question still unanswered is : are the stoppers robust/strong enough/secure enough to be carried in the spare tank carrier without self emptying on route to anywhere.

Before I commit to having a SOG fitted I need to be sure I won't be polluting the highways and by-ways as I intend to carry a spare cassette anyway.

The sog installations I have examined had a hole cut in the emptying arm, and had a plastic bung that was just pushed in whilst the cassette was out of the van. To my mind, any movement of the vehicle causing sloshing about of the contents could easily dislodge this bung. Much better idea to have a reengineered screw on cap if it will fit your installation, as this can be swapped for a standard one.

My advice remains the same though, go and sniff near a few vans fitted with sog before committing to purchase. All the positive comments and negative comments are irrelevant when it comes to seeing and smelling the situation for yourself. Only you can decide if it is for you or not and you can live with the associated issues

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it is simple to stick a cork in the hole see pics below of my DIY SOG-the 2 small bay fans were changed to a 3/ -3.5 ins fan
terry

Attachments

• Photo-0003.jpg
    Photo-0003.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo-0004.jpg
    Photo-0004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo-0006.jpg
    Photo-0006.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 96

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
you can easy remove the vent off the cassette and glue the overflow pipe to it-no damage to cassette (pic 2) the wiring on the floor in pic 4 is just scrap - cooker hood for charcoal filter fitted into the light switch box on the door
terry

Attachments

• Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo-0008.jpg
    Photo-0008.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 55

mtolcher

Free Member
Jul 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We have just got a second cassette - ours is a C200, and we used it without connecting to the SOG system, but with chemicals. What an awful stench, I'd rather have the SOG system any day. I read that with a C200, you can swap over the excess pressure valve with the SOG ventilator connector, just a matter of turning the valves in the right direction.

If this works, then the spare cassette should be fairly well sealed?? Quite what happens when it reaches the excess level, I really don't want to think about!!

Yes, it does whiff a bit when you empty it, and I got into the habit of taking an air-freshner spray with me when I used a public toilet to empty it, so as not to asphyxiate the next person in there!

Ours was already fitted when we bought the MH, but if we ever bought one without it, we would definitely fit one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We didn't go down the SOG route, but did buy a spare cassette which is carried under the offside rear of the MH. It has never been used :Doh: and now we have sold the MH (complete with spare cassette) and pick up our new Auto Trail Comanche tomorrow.
This has a different cassette type fitted and appears to have a type of SOG built in. I will check properly tomorrow on the handover.

Many thanks to all who gave their opinions and advice, regardless of whether for or against.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The sog installations I have examined had a hole cut in the emptying arm, and had a plastic bung that was just pushed in whilst the cassette was out of the van. To my mind, any movement of the vehicle causing sloshing about of the contents could easily dislodge this bung. Much better idea to have a reengineered screw on cap if it will fit your installation, as this can be swapped for a standard one.

My advice remains the same though, go and sniff near a few vans fitted with sog before committing to purchase. All the positive comments and negative comments are irrelevant when it comes to seeing and smelling the situation for yourself. Only you can decide if it is for you or not and you can live with the associated issues

In 3 years of full timing and before that 3 year normal use we have never had a problems with toilet contents swilling about and escaping. We do have a SOG, it was fitted before we bought the van in Germany in 2006.
We have carried a full cassette in the boot using the push over cap without problems. Our SOG vents into the Safari Room when it is in use. I change the filter in the SOG and have noticed no smell outside. If the toilet is in use and pumping air out through the filter and I notice a smell, it is time for a replacement filter.

We have travelled throughout the UK, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium and Germany.

We only use Bio washing liquid.

The smell comes from the urine content (amonia). We now keep this input to the minumum. I have posted on other threads about this.

John

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
In 3 years of full timing and before that 3 year normal use we have never had a problems with toilet contents swilling about and escaping. We do have a SOG, it was fitted before we bought the van in Germany in 2006.
We have carried a full cassette in the boot using the push over cap without problems. Our SOG vents into the Safari Room when it is in use. I change the filter in the SOG and have noticed no smell outside. If the toilet is in use and pumping air out through the filter and I notice a smell, it is time for a replacement filter.

We have travelled throughout the UK, France, Spain, Holland, Belgium and Germany.

We only use Bio washing liquid.

The smell comes from the urine content (amonia). We now keep this input to the minumum. I have posted on other threads about this.

John

Agreed we're the same, spare cassette,bio washing liquid & it works fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back