SOG toilet systems

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by knokinonabit, Feb 28, 2012.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Has anyone used, or is using, an SOG chemical free toilet system ?

If so, are they any good ?

I am looking at carrying a spare cassette and would like to be chemical free so that we are not looking for CDPs. Plus Mrs. k doesn't like the chemical smell. Don't think she is too fond of the other smell either !!!!! :Eek!:

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I'm pretty sure that Hildweller (Brian) has recently gone down this route.......Griff

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have one fitted and it works fine even in 35 degrees of the day here. What I like about it is I can empty my cassette without fear of polluting the environment, it saves carrying chemicals around and saves any undue strain on my pocket.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

At 90 quid plus your pockets already been hit :BigGrin: £90 buys a lot of chemical--I made my own :thumb: cost zero if you don't count a couple of coffees :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Our second-hand Bessacarr came with a SOG already fitted and it works very well indeed. I'd probably splash the cash to buy another one if need be (no chance of me making my own, that's for sure).

We combine the SOG with a dash of biological clothes washing liquid following a tip on here, and it masks the smell we used to get when emptying the cassette.

6. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Our Hymer came equipped with a SOG. We bought a spare cassette and have used it a few times. We use a cap full Tesco Bio Washing liquid in it to reduce any ammonia smell, cost about £1.30 and it lasts us a month of full timing. Empty regularly to avoid smells. Ours is the C2/3/4 type. The C200 type you can buy a box to carry the spare cassette in. This option is not available for our model.

You still need a dump point to dispose of the contents, or a toilet. At a push a deep hole to bury them.

John

7. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I too was told that he had "gone down the pan". :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

With the SOG system, all your doing is passing the problem on to somebody else. Just think of that smell when your sat outside your van in the morning having a cuppa and your neighbour visits his bog. Plus if your thinking of having a second cassette for yours, what is going to inhibit the smell and build up of gasses when the full one is in a locker or under your van?

• Like Like x 2
  9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Isn't the carbon filter supposed to eliminate the smell ? All the other replies from people that have them seem positive.
    The full cassette would hopefully not be full for long, as it can be emptied down a normal toilet (public in a lot of car parks or on a site) and is meant as an emergency when wilding and the one in use fills up. It is not meant to be kept long term. Plus the use of bio washing liquid will help eliminate the smell, according to other postings.

10. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

I would imagine you would need a fan on the end of your nose when emptying as well:Eeek::Eeek:

11. shunter

shunter Funster

I have one and I find very good it's good if you have a bit of wind cos it just sucks it right out of there :thumb::Rofl1:

12. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Is it true you can fit a SOG directly into your back passage ?

barry:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  13. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It would appear that the main concern is that of the smell.

So, all of you that have a SOG, is it a problem ?

When emptying a cassette is the smell a problem ?

Does anyone know if the gas build up would be a problem if a cassette was left unemptied for , say, 24hrs ?

So many questions and I haven't had my lunch yet !
    All this toilet talk is making me think twice about lunch :Wacko:

14. shunter

shunter Funster

I have never found the smell a problem but then only do tids in ours:Laughing:

15. aba

aba

before going down the Sog route just try it without chemicals you will soon get the idea.
    the chemicals don't really work as they don't get long enough with the contents of the cassette to do any good 2 to 3 days max. (may be a different story inside the CDP on the campsite though).

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Most sog owners report they smell nothing as the fan pulls the air down through the cassette opening and outside. If your feeling brave and not likely to lose your lunch go and sniff outside a van with sog fitted. Yes the carbon filter will work when first fitted but not many replace them periodically.

The stink of somebody elses toilet in the morning is naeseating

• Like Like x 2
  17. shunter

shunter Funster

Would it not be the same if thay had there window open:BigGrin:

18. JJ

JJ Funster

In my humble opinion there is no need to spend money on an electric fan system to blow the pong that you created out of your van into the atmosphere...

... I open a window and it does the same thing!

Nature is a wonderful thing... it has been dealing with this naturally produced stuff for millions of years...

When you have some time to waste read up about dry, compost toilets...

All I suggest is please avoid the Blue, formaldehyde based loo stuff... actually hinders the natural break up of the stuff and really damages the world...

ENZYMES ROOL OK?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

This is because their sense of smell has burnt out :Rofl1:

20. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Glad someone else started this as I was about to.......

OK, first van, not used yet has a SOG toilet, salesman said it was `supposed` to be able to be used without chemicals, but he went on to say he does not know anyone who does not still use chemicals in one.

We were given 2 bottles of `stuff`, one pink and one blue, pink goes in with the water and blue in the container, is that the right way round?

Without too much graphic details, can anyone explain the difference between a SOG and whatever the other sort is called please.

Have not put any in yet, or any water, was probably going to get round to it this week.

So, do we `need` the blue, the pink, both or neither??

Also, just been thinking, have not seen anywhere that tells me when the water for the toilet is about to run out, main panel tells me how much fresh and waste water I have, but not the toliet.
    Surely it`s not a matter of flushing it and then finding out it is empty, or is it?

Thanks

Steve