SOG toilet systems (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Has anyone used, or is using, an SOG chemical free toilet system ?

If so, are they any good ?

I am looking at carrying a spare cassette and would like to be chemical free so that we are not looking for CDPs. Plus Mrs. k doesn't like the chemical smell. Don't think she is too fond of the other smell either !!!!! :whatthe:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm pretty sure that Hildweller (Brian) has recently gone down this route.......Griff

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have one fitted and it works fine even in 35 degrees of the day here. What I like about it is I can empty my cassette without fear of polluting the environment, it saves carrying chemicals around and saves any undue strain on my pocket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have one fitted and it works fine even in 35 degrees of the day here. What I like about it is I can empty my cassette without fear of polluting the environment, it saves carrying chemicals around and saves any undue strain on my pocket.

At 90 quid plus your pockets already been hit ::bigsmile: £90 buys a lot of chemical--I made my own :thumb: cost zero if you don't count a couple of coffees :thumb:
terry

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our second-hand Bessacarr came with a SOG already fitted and it works very well indeed. I'd probably splash the cash to buy another one if need be (no chance of me making my own, that's for sure).

We combine the SOG with a dash of biological clothes washing liquid following a tip on here, and it masks the smell we used to get when emptying the cassette.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Our Hymer came equipped with a SOG. We bought a spare cassette and have used it a few times. We use a cap full Tesco Bio Washing liquid in it to reduce any ammonia smell, cost about £1.30 and it lasts us a month of full timing. Empty regularly to avoid smells. Ours is the C2/3/4 type. The C200 type you can buy a box to carry the spare cassette in. This option is not available for our model.

You still need a dump point to dispose of the contents, or a toilet. At a push a deep hole to bury them.

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With the SOG system, all your doing is passing the problem on to somebody else. Just think of that smell when your sat outside your van in the morning having a cuppa and your neighbour visits his bog. Plus if your thinking of having a second cassette for yours, what is going to inhibit the smell and build up of gasses when the full one is in a locker or under your van?

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
With the SOG system, all your doing is passing the problem on to somebody else. Just think of that smell when your sat outside your van in the morning having a cuppa and your neighbour visits his bog. Plus if your thinking of having a second cassette for yours, what is going to inhibit the smell and build up of gasses when the full one is in a locker or under your van?

Isn't the carbon filter supposed to eliminate the smell ? All the other replies from people that have them seem positive.
The full cassette would hopefully not be full for long, as it can be emptied down a normal toilet (public in a lot of car parks or on a site) and is meant as an emergency when wilding and the one in use fills up. It is not meant to be kept long term. Plus the use of bio washing liquid will help eliminate the smell, according to other postings.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It would appear that the main concern is that of the smell.

So, all of you that have a SOG, is it a problem ?

When emptying a cassette is the smell a problem ?

Does anyone know if the gas build up would be a problem if a cassette was left unemptied for , say, 24hrs ?

So many questions and I haven't had my lunch yet !
All this toilet talk is making me think twice about lunch :Wacko:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
before going down the Sog route just try it without chemicals you will soon get the idea.
the chemicals don't really work as they don't get long enough with the contents of the cassette to do any good 2 to 3 days max. (may be a different story inside the CDP on the campsite though).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Most sog owners report they smell nothing as the fan pulls the air down through the cassette opening and outside. If your feeling brave and not likely to lose your lunch go and sniff outside a van with sog fitted. Yes the carbon filter will work when first fitted but not many replace them periodically.

The stink of somebody elses toilet in the morning is naeseating

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my humble opinion there is no need to spend money on an electric fan system to blow the pong that you created out of your van into the atmosphere...

... I open a window and it does the same thing!

Nature is a wonderful thing... it has been dealing with this naturally produced stuff for millions of years...

When you have some time to waste read up about dry, compost toilets...

All I suggest is please avoid the Blue, formaldehyde based loo stuff... actually hinders the natural break up of the stuff and really damages the world...

ENZYMES ROOL OK?

JJ :Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
[HI]Most sog owners report they smell nothing [/HI]as the fan pulls the air down through the cassette opening and outside. If your feeling brave and not likely to lose your lunch go and sniff outside a van with sog fitted. Yes the carbon filter will work when first fitted but not many replace them periodically.

The stink of somebody elses toilet in the morning is naeseating

This is because their sense of smell has burnt out :ROFLMAO:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Glad someone else started this as I was about to.......

OK, first van, not used yet has a SOG toilet, salesman said it was `supposed` to be able to be used without chemicals, but he went on to say he does not know anyone who does not still use chemicals in one.

We were given 2 bottles of `stuff`, one pink and one blue, pink goes in with the water and blue in the container, is that the right way round?

Without too much graphic details, can anyone explain the difference between a SOG and whatever the other sort is called please.

Have not put any in yet, or any water, was probably going to get round to it this week.

So, do we `need` the blue, the pink, both or neither??

Also, just been thinking, have not seen anywhere that tells me when the water for the toilet is about to run out, main panel tells me how much fresh and waste water I have, but not the toliet.
Surely it`s not a matter of flushing it and then finding out it is empty, or is it?

Thanks

Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You don't need the blue one in any sort of toilet as it damages the environment and smells worse than the poo. The pink one, which is for the flushing tank can probably go in the bin too as most motorhomes flush from the main water tank so nowhere to add it.

A good splosh of Tesco/Sainsbury bio washing liquid will do the trick, with or without a SOG.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, mine has a seperate water tank just above the cassette.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Encantador I am afraid, like me with my Elddis, you will flush till you run out. ::bigsmile:

With a SOG the idea is that you don't use any chemicals. It seems your salesman hasn't done his homework.

The blue is meant to go in the cassette of a non SOG type and the pink in the flush tank. The blue is to help break down your waste matter and toilet paper without oxygen (I think), though I'm sure someone who knows will reply. :thumb:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Encantador I am afraid, like me with my Elddis, you will flush till you run out. ::bigsmile:

With a SOG the idea is that you don't use any chemicals. It seems your salesman hasn't done his homework.

The blue is meant to go in the cassette of a non SOG type and the pink in the flush tank. The blue is to help break down your waste matter and toilet paper without oxygen (I think), though I'm sure someone who knows will reply. :thumb:

Thanks, I see, strange they have`nt thought to link that tank to the control panel as well.

The salesman did say it is designed to work without chemicals, but he believes a lot of people still use chemicals anyway.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks, I see, strange they have`nt thought to link that tank to the control panel as well.

The salesman did say it is designed to work without chemicals, but he believes a lot of people still use chemicals anyway.

To my mind still using chemicals is a bit of a waste of money having the SOG fitted in the first place.
As has already been said, you might as well just open the window of an "ordinary" toilet. :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If the SOG is correctly maintained there is no smell,exterior or interior. If your neighbour is parked so close that he can smell the toilet when you go he is far to close so tell him to clear off.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Most sog owners report they smell nothing

If you'd spent £110 +£5 pp.would you tell any one if it didn't perform ::bigsmile:

On the contentious issue of what chemicals to use,my understanding is that the old formaldehyde based 'Blue' has been replaced with a non formaldehyde biological formula which is fully bio-degradeable. Albeit it is still 'Blue' ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I agree with Snowbird, no smell inside or out if your SOG is fitted, used and maintained correctly (ie replace the filter every year - it's dirt cheap and easy to do).

We did get a bit of a smell when emptying, but not since we've added a capful of bio washing liquid.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have one and would not be without it now.......2 years so far on this van. :thumb:

NO smells inside or out
NO chemicals at all
NO problem emptying

We have had the vent pipe fitted onto the yellow cassette cap so no alteration to cassette .......good idea if you have the space

By using no chemicals you can empty as often as you like without waste of expensive fluids...no need to wait for the little red light!

The filters can be cleaned and filled with bbq charcoal dust to save further cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back