MAN TGE (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
MAN TGE and VW Crafter/Transporter base vehicles fitted with the 2.0 VW diesel.

Just South of Le Mans we had an amber triangle flash up on the dash on Saturday, checked the fault and got the engine oil overfull error message.

Van (Knaus 650MEG) has covered 2,500 miles so guessed that my poodling along the back roads, around ferry terminals and campsites meant the dpf filter had needed a regen and I must have turned the engine off mid regen at some point resulting in diesel in the oil, that was the only way the level could have gone up.

Pulled into Camping Paradis at Montreuil Bellay and called MAN breakdown who couldn’t have been more helpful, received a call back from a French technician with an interpreter within quarter of an hour, he had me dip the engine which was slightly over full.

At this stage we are offered a weekend call out as a chargeable option or to drive into the MAN dealer in Cholet about 30km away, chose the latter and drove there on the Monday morning where they were ready straight away.

Oil drained and refilled, OBD check, back on the road in less than 30 minutes, all under warranty, pleased with that bit of the saga but DPF filters have caused so many issues with the working vans that I own that we have kept our old pre Ad Blue Vivaro and replaced the newer one with a petrol hybrid.

Advice from the tech that dealt with the van for me - if your TGE (guessing that Crafter & Transporter are the same) is idling it should be ticking over at about 800 rpm, if it is idling at 1050 rpm it’s regenerating - do not turn it off - wait for it to return to 800 rpm.

Alternatively - make sure that the stop/start system is turned on (it is by default on mine), when you pull up wait for the engine to stop on its own rather than just turning it off, the stop/start system keeps the engine running during regen and turns it off when regen has completed.

That will teach me to try and save fuel by taking it easy and so much for saving the environment!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back