Day 3 - Portrush and into Eire via Londonderry (15 June 2023)

20230615_151914.jpg
It took me a bit of effort to get motivated this morning. Eventually sorted with bacon and egg rolls. It was reasonably quiet overnight despite the town centre, most noise having come from the neighbouring vans. I took time to do chores of emptying and filling things, with a bodge fix experiment of gaffer tape on the three (yes three) overflow hoses from the fresh water tank. Good news I arrived at the final stop with an almost full tank, but must now see if I've created a vacuum problem by blocking the vents.

So back on the open road, parts of which seemed almost urban, again on the Causeway Coastal route, with a quick replenishment stop at a passing Tesco. I have to say this bit wasn't very exciting. No real viewpoint stops, and not much coast line. Supposedly it was an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, but it seemed mostly fields. It was notable that many of the villages appeared quite partisan, either lots of lamp posts with Union Jacks or alternatively other local flag colours.

Into Londonderry, or is it just Derry, after around 1.5 hours drive. I parked up in small car park by allotments at St Columbs Park. It's suggested as a free overnight on Park4night, but didn't feel right for that. About a 15 minute walk through the Ebrington Barracks (1800s I think), which are being regenerated as modern hotels and stuff, and crossed over the Peace Bridge.

20230615_142944.jpg

Londonderry has a lot of history, if you are into that sort of thing, going back to the 1600s and a long siege, to the more recent troubles. It retains one of the most complete city walls, which include some restored old cannon, about 1.5km long around which it's free to walk.

20230615_150613.jpg

20230615_151655.jpg

20230615_151914.jpg

Some of the bogside area and it's murals are still being watched over by the city walls.

20230615_151106.jpg

Too hot for me, why am I doing all this walking looking at things stuff in the heat? I retreated after couple of hours back to the van, whacking on the cab aircon, and set off again.

I crossed into Eire (the Republic of Ireland) at Muff. No fanfare, no big welcome signage, just a warning speeds were in kilometres and a sign saying it was the start of the Wild Atlantic Way.

I'm now parked up in a small village of Shrove, by Inishowen Head Lighthouse. There is a WWII lookout post nearby. This small free car park is very popular today and evening in this 25 degree weather, with it's small sandy beach. The height barriers have been locked open and there's even a water tap. Hopefully it'll quieten later so I get some kip.

20230615_175457.jpg

A conundrum, how come it's called Southern Ireland by many and yet I've driven North? Oh and somehow I've missed out on Guinness today.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Kannon Fodda
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

Alan Kerr,
Rhino Installs