Free Member
Nov 10, 2009
Lake district
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0.1!
have just bought a 1990 Elddis C Class van. Used it on mains for the first time this weekend and when we plugged in the fridge the zig unit fused and tripped out.

We were able to run the van on mains but with the Zig unit turned off and so no charge to the leisure battery.

Anyone have any ideas of areas to check???

Thanks

Jo&Gareth
:Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am a little confused, when you turned the fridge on it tripped the zig unit and blew a fuse. So the Zig unit did its best to tell you something was badly wrong. You then turned the zig unit off :Eeek:and continued to mains.:Sad: Why ignore the protection systems.
I suspect a mouse damaged cable, the fuse protected you, in time you might just have a fire because you ignored that protection. If you do I doubt that your insurance will cover you.
Sorry for such a negative post but you really do need to be made aware of what you have done. Please don't try and save a few bob by trying to fix it yourself. DIY is fine when you have some idea of what you are doing. When you don't have a clue please leave it to the professionals.:Sad:
I note you have only just bought the van, however all of the usual safety measures apply. Thank goodness you got away with it this time.
Further thoughts make me wonder what else you had plugged in, leccy fire maybe, TV, did you just overload the lot? Certainly needs investigation.

Last edited:

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Whats a "Zig unit" ?
:Blush::Blush:
Why have we not got one?
:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A Zig unit or panel is the control panel.
Modern ones are all digital and control relays and electronic switching to the charger etc..
older vans had a panel ( a Zig panel ) than did all the controlling and in most cases ( if not all in the case of the Zig's ) had a built in charger too..

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Wildman, that's a bit unfair to a poster with only 4 posts!
The 1990's Zig unit is usually only a battery charger so shouldn't be involved in the fridge operation unless some alleged professional, or previous owner, has wired the fridge to operate from the Zig instead of the starter battery.
The Zig units fuse did its job and the poster is able to keep his the rest of the van operating on mains so whats your problem?
If the poster has the van checked OR someone here can advise them, where is the harm?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back