ZIG UNIT charging "car" battery while hooked up? (1 Viewer)

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
Hi all. Newbie here. Not long purchased an old Elddis Autoking 570. Needed a fair bit of sorting out one of which was the old failed Zig unit which I have successfully replaced with a ZIG CF9 unit. Everything works fine.

The question is.. Does the ZIG unit charge the "car" battery while its hooked up to 240v?

I know that is maintains a charge to the leisure battery and provides 12v through the transformer but puzzled if its "topping up" the car battery too?

absolutely nothing mentioned in the fitting and use instructions I downloaded..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome.

i believe the unit is capable of that but it rather depends if you have the wirring in place.

extract from O'Leary motorhomes

Zig CF9 Charging System
Charging and Distribution System for Caravans, all Recreational Vehicles and Boats, with 230V and 12V outputs for refrigerator. Features: Automatic charging control, Mains battery charging up to 12 Amps, Charging from vehicle or boat generator, Mains to 12V conversion - up to 4.5 Amps continuous, Switched selection of source, car/boat or auxiliary battery, Multiple safety protection devices. Designed for use with 60Ah or greater leisure battery or batteries permanently in circuit. Full fitting and usage instructions supplied. Screw terminal connections at rear. Dimensions: Panel 293 x 105mm, Case 275 x 75 x 150 deep approx. Suitable trip box available in the Electrical System category. Please Note: It is strongly recommended that the refrigerator is wired to operate only while the engine is running. The use of a relay such as Zig RM12 is recommended.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Further to the previous post.. a wiring diagram showing the connection and wiring to charge the 'starter' battery

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
OP
OP
hayabusabart

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
Further to the previous post.. a wiring diagram showing the connection and wiring to charge the 'starter' battery

Broken Link Removed

Brilliant! thanks for the useful info there.. will check vehicle / alternator wiring tomorrow.. if it ever stops raining

OP
OP
hayabusabart

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
Studying the circuit I can see that relays 1 & 2 allow 12v (from the alternator while on-the-move) direct to the leisure battery as well as the fridge, while the engine is running. Once engine is off they both automatically go open circuit (as shown in ScottJim's drawing).

I can see why now.. if left on then the fridge would drain the "starter" battery in a couple of hours

Brill I can see it now and how it all works from the alternator while travelling.. trouble is nothing yet has answered my original question which was..

Does the ZIG unit provide a charge to the "starter" battery when hooked up to 240vAC on site?

sorry for being a pain folks...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on the control panel you will find a 3 position switch that selects Leisure battery, centre off or van battery. if you select van battery you will use power from the vehicle battery but while on electric hookup (plugged in) it will also charge at 4.5amps. likewise switch to leisure to charge and use the leisure battery. if the switch is in the middle off position neither battery gets charged

bear in mind that the zig chargers and panels were mainly designed for caravans, you may have a logo of a car for the vehicle battery and a caravan for the leisure battery

OP
OP
hayabusabart

hayabusabart

Banned
Feb 13, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
since 2014
I think I have just answered my own question.. the answer is a deffo NO

The bridging fuse (or the "trip" device as also suggested) allows the "starter" battery to "share" the charge input from any external source (240v hook up / solar panels input etc) via the ZIG unit .. while being laid up..

what do you reckon?

Burky

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Rochdale
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Since 75
Hi just joined today reading through this page people have lots of information that I am trying to learn as I am looking to learn about all the electrics on a caravan ,Demountable and Camper Van for example: PC100 control System in kits Leisure battery and engine battery how the are wired and how they switch over
as this is my first post I hope someone will guild me. Burky

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi just joined today reading through this page people have lots of information that I am trying to learn as I am looking to learn about all the electrics on a caravan ,Demountable and Camper Van for example: PC100 control System in kits Leisure battery and engine battery how the are wired and how they switch over
as this is my first post I hope someone will guild me. Burky

Hello Burky I tracked down your post you referred to in another thread

The problem is you opened an old unrelated thread hence the lack of replies

However it is also a huge question, nobody will actually have an answer without looking at how it has been wired, it is not a standard build that somebody else is likely to have seen before (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
From a purely practical point of view, would it make any difference whether the automatic version of the fused circuit breaker was 20amp as opposed to Clives 'Self made' 10amp fused system. I have had this set up in mind for some time but baulked up to now.

Burky

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Rochdale
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Since 75
hi every one thanks for your response, as I am still trying to use these resources....and have picked up info from..
hayabusabart, Phill D, Scotjimland,Moodybrook and The Big 1 all Funster This is the kind of information I am after.
as I am new I don' now who will receive this (send ) Burky

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back