Ypres WW1 Memorial - Menin Gate (1 Viewer)

Stevegreen1959

Free Member
Jan 10, 2017
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Good Afternoon All,
I posted previously regarding our trip down to Italy and also the Alps, but we are now starting out a little earlier and we would like to ask if anybody can give us some advice on overnight parking close the Ypres War Memorial at the Menin Gate?. Walking distance is good, not needing to be on the doorstep so to speak.
We'd like to stop over there for a visit before continuing southwards.
Many thanks

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Can also recommend the aire jeugdstadion but as said it is advisable to book as its always busy it's only a few minutes walk to the menin gate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We were there 2 weeks ago and i am glad we booked as by 4pm the site put up a sign saying fully booked so def book it is only a small walk to the gate from this site. Site is also clean and well kept which is always good.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you book Jeugstadion online you need to take the same bank card when you check in. If the office is shut there's a machine that confirms your details and provides an entry pass, and it needs the same card as you booked with.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
No need to pay as there is free parking within walking distance of the gate, no services but a quiet stop

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
No need to pay as there is free parking within walking distance of the gate, no services but a quiet stop
Could be wrong but i'm sure someone posted on here saying overnighting had been stopped here.

Pete

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Could be wrong but i'm sure someone posted on here saying overnighting had been stopped here.

Pete

Im sure I also read that post you could park along by the river but Im sure there are no camping signs now

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah read that, shame , it used to be about 2 mins walk to the gate, why they have shut it , I can't imagine, it seemed to be set out for the job with all cobbled bays, and nothing else needs it, perhaps it was over crowded at times , don't know.
We usually go in September and never a problem, been four years now, but if it is closed think that's it for us.:(:(

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Yeah read that, shame , it used to be about 2 mins walk to the gate, why they have shut it , I can't imagine, it seemed to be set out for the job with all cobbled bays, and nothing else needs it, perhaps it was over crowded at times , don't know.
We usually go in September and never a problem, been four years now, but if it is closed think that's it for us.:(:(
we were told that the bay's are meant for the coaches to,park

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
While you are there you might like to pop into the Menin bar. It's run by a lady called Beatrix and her son Leroy and is adjacent to the Menin gate they are lovely people and are fluent English speakers and would be happy to give any advice you might need whilst visiting Ypres.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yep no more MoHo parking at the end of the road. We went on to a lane just be for the camp site. Turn Right at the entrance barrier.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we were told that the bay's are meant for the coaches to,park

We stopped there in January and didn't see any signs or anything forbiding overnighting

Yep no more MoHo parking at the end of the road. We went on to a lane just be for the camp site. Turn Right at the entrance barrier.
Are we all talking about the exact same place here, we stayed there last September, no probs, the coaches all parked closer to the gate and the bays I mean wouldn't be big enough for a bus, right down by the recreation centre just before the barrier.

OP
OP
Stevegreen1959

Stevegreen1959

Free Member
Jan 10, 2017
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
While you are there you might like to pop into the Menin bar. It's run by a lady called Beatrix and her son Leroy and is adjacent to the Menin gate they are lovely people and are fluent English speakers and would be happy to give any advice you might need whilst visiting Ypres.

Oh right..all the better then

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
We stayed on Leopold III laan just down the side of the moat from the gate and the otherside of the hedge is the campsite mentioned above. It was very quiet but out of season.

OP
OP
Stevegreen1959

Stevegreen1959

Free Member
Jan 10, 2017
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Just been onto the website for the jeugdstadion motorhome parking area and have booked a space....pay on arrival 19 euros!
All commenst have really been appreciated....thanks a lot :D:D:D

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
There is a brand new aires, at the other side of the big fishing lake about 2 miles from the centre of ypres.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I just found a picture of the Menin gate where they have the last post ceremony, taken a few years ago.

15082010035.jpg

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Just back from here we spent two nights on Jeugdstadion with no problems. There is also an aire on the site which was full most evenings but arrive early and no problems. Some parking available along the canal and we noticed some overnighting but mainly smaller vans.10 minute walk to the Menin Gate from here. Book on line and don't arrive too late. Will update my blog with pics of the trip when I get 5 mins.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just back from here we spent two nights on Jeugdstadion with no problems. There is also an aire on the site which was full most evenings but arrive early and no problems. Some parking available along the canal and we noticed some overnighting but mainly smaller vans.10 minute walk to the Menin Gate from here. Book on line and don't arrive too late. Will update my blog with pics of the trip when I get 5 mins.
This has been very interesting, we have been going for years, and always parked by the canal, we were there last September and parked there, but must admit there was only us and a couple of other small vans , but weren't moved on or anything, we shall be going over in a week or two and have a look for ourselves, I had read on here it was closed and took that as fact but mention of the places being for buses doesn't add up because there wouldn't be room for busses where we usually park.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
About half way down the road there is an island, it states on a new sign 'No MoHo's beyond this point' . Thats a complete ban on any MoHo parking.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Amazing they still find enough schools and things, to be there every night of the year.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Always does for me and been a few times now. an English school choir sang once and the music was amazing.

We went a few years back with a big family group. There was a special event to commemorate 60 years since the end of WWII. There were People from all around the world. Gorkha, Gurkhas, Canadians, Americans, you name them. They were there. Luckily, we were staying on the campsite and had arrived early. I have never witnessed anything like it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back