Ypres and the Passchendaele Centenary (1 Viewer)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We want to attend the Passchendaele Centenary event in Ypres at the end of July.

The camping site Jeugdstadion is, as expected, fully booked and although it's been possible in the past to stop overnight on surrounding roads I'd expect them to be very crowded and we'd probably not be able to stay there.

Does anyone know of any other MH campsite or stopover in or close to Ypres?

We don't need hook up or facilities - just a safe place to stay.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There is the Aire at Kampeerautoterrein Zillebekevijver. Campercontact 49678 8 Euro a night and right by a lake for dog walks. It is about 35 min walk to the town from there. When we were there last month, a few MH were parked at the sports centre which is just outside the town by the main road roundabout with the "Big Tap" on it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have always parked by the canal just down from the menin gate, but have seen some reports of it being stopped , but we parked there last year, no bother, but there were only us and a vw camper.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We have always parked by the canal just down from the menin gate, but have seen some reports of it being stopped , but we parked there last year, no bother, but there were only us and a vw camper.
The road from the Sports centre to the Gate is blocked half way along by bollards and there are sign posts along the road from the gate to the bollards that state "No Motorhomes" now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks GW, I can find Geluveld but the cords seem to be wrong.

Keith

I think the co ords are good. Although I've not been there myself I'm fairly reliably informed that you follow that short tarmac drive at the side of the house and the parking area is then on the left.
But maybe too far out of town for your needs.

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks GW - Google was telling me it didn't recognise them - but now it does - WTF.

The site you mention has a sign outside saying 'Camping Te Koop' and is fine for an overnight stop - again thanks.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
They're asking potential visitors to register (no fees involved)

and contact details for enquiries, so you could ask the organisers

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We're in juegstadion right now for some R&R, there is a new Aire not far away, apparently owned by the owners of Juegstaddion, don't know the co-ords but a google of New Ypres aire may bring them up.

If you're driving away from the arch with the tap road on your left, take the left turn opposite the first right turn, its down there on the left. Not very scientific but hey.

Was told it was €8 a night and about a 30 minute walk from the Gate, we tried to get there yesterday but there was a fun run going on and the road was closed both ends so we came here instead.

There are definitely no parking signs in the road by the gate and when we stopped for lunch yesterday we were approached by police, I told them we had stopped for lunch as they were stopping us from reaching our destination but they said we could not stay there overnight.

There is a car park in front of the Lidl car park just off the roundabout on the road to the station if you can't find anywhere else, stayed there a few times overnight, it's about 10 minutes from the Gate through the arch off the roundabout.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We're in juegstadion right now for some R&R, there is a new Aire not far away, apparently owned by the owners of Juegstaddion, don't know the co-ords but a google of New Ypres aire may bring them up.

If you're driving away from the arch with the tap road on your left, take the left turn opposite the first right turn, its down there on the left. Not very scientific but hey.

Was told it was €8 a night and about a 30 minute walk from the Gate, we tried to get there yesterday but there was a fun run going on and the road was closed both ends so we came here instead.
This is the one I stayed at as per #2 above.(y)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Sorry Zig, didn't see that before I posted my ramblings.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

We were there last week and the have banned MoHo from that section now - sorry. There will be many roadside stops around the town.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
http://www.camping-ypra.be/en/

We stayed at this pace in 2014 for Remembrance Day about 10 mins drive into Ypres. OK campsite but ground is soft if it is wet and you need to keep to the narrow hard strips at each pitch or get a tow out from the owner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back