Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Impressive, I want it, I want it, to match the one I've already have. His & Hers. :gum:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
She's magnificent.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of mooring fairly close to the vessel moored alongside "Endeavor" whilst in the Carribean and there would be no change out of $100,000,000. for her I was told.

Here she is now.

Endeavor.JPG

Deleted User
I know nothing about boats but was fascinated, at Almerimar a few years back, watching a crew make the Ice Lady Patagonia ready to sail after being laid up and consequently sold, very impressed looking at the website.
IMG_20181230_132904-EFFECTS.jpg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This is my first pair which I purchased from the Bank following the insolvency of the company who built them for sail-training and corporate entertainment. They were replicas of the Baltic One designs from the turn of the 19th-20th century.

I didn't once lose a race; here I'm just pulling away from Katie in our second turn around Portsmouth harbour.

Baltic One design.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Makes my old SHE 36 look like a Noddy bike!

I raced in her younger sister a 12m rule class "Evaine", also a Camper & Nicholson build but only 70' LOA compared with 110'

We won the Britannia Cup at Cowes in 1972. Graeme Godfrey who owned it bought it for £2,750 after a engine-room fire and restored it but we could not afford an engine and had only one suit of sails unlike Class One boats today. Graeme had the evenng of his life at the Wnners' dinner on the Sat at the Royal Yacht Squadron, talking to Prince Phillip and Uffa Fox.

"Evaine" was last heard of sailing as a charter cruise boat in Scotland. I should follow that up.

I only owned a lowly Westerly 33 built in 1978. I nearly bought a Nicholson 35, as I love the Nicholson style hulls, but she only had single bunks and the fo'csle could not have been converted.

Geoff

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I raced in her younger sister a 12m rule class "Evaine", also a Camper & Nicholson build but only 70' LOA compared with 110'

We won the Britannia Cup at Cowes in 1972. Graeme Godfrey who owned it bought it for £2,750 after a engine-room fire and restored it but we could not afford an engine and had only one suit of sails unlike Class One boats today. Graeme had the evenng of his life at the Wnners' dinner on the Sat at the Royal Yacht Squadron, talking to Prince Phillip and Uffa Fox.

"Evaine" was last heard of sailing as a charter cruise boat in Scotland. I should follow that up.

I only owned a lowly Westerly 33 built in 1978. I nearly bought a Nicholson 35, as I love the Nicholson style hulls, but she only had single bunks and the fo'csle could not have been converted.

Geoff
I seem to remember the Westerly 33 was once being considered as the perfect yacht for the Med. voluminous below decks with excellent sea manners.
We owned a couple of Westerlys first was a deep fin keel Konsort and then 37' Typhoon before buying a
Catalina 42' Mk2.
Spirit in Kastos.jpg

Which we kept in the Greek islands til we sold her 6yrs ago, fabulous yacht really miss her but vowed never to own another.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I seem to remember the Westerly 33 was once being considered as the perfect yacht for the Med. voluminous below decks with excellent sea manners.
We owned a couple of Westerlys first was a deep fin keel Konsort and then 37' Typhoon before buying a
Catalina 42' Mk2.
View attachment 448452

Which we kept in the Greek islands til we sold her 6yrs ago, fabulous yacht really miss her but vowed never to own another.
Agreed!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Graeme had the evenng of his life at the Wnners' dinner on the Sat at the Royal Yacht Squadron, talking to Prince Phillip and Uffa Fox.
I remember Uffa Fox teaching Prince Charles to sail in Fixed keel Dragon or X craft when I was sailing dinghies. That's one man I'd like to have a chat with, he died around then I think.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Catalina 42' Mk2.
View attachment 448452

Nice photo. Where was it taken. I do not recognise it as Aegean so maybe Ionian.

Geoff

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Nice photo. Where was it taken. I do not recognise it as Aegean so maybe Ionian.

Geoff
Hi Geoff, it is indeed the Ionian, a small island off the mainland named Kastos lying close to Kalamos and Meganissi.
As you can see a stunning mooring.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff, it is indeed the Ionian, a small island off the mainland named Kastos lying close to Kalamos and Meganissi.
As you can see a stunning mooring.

Thanks

I missed out on that one as I routed from Sivota-Fiskardo-bay opposite on Ithaka-Ochia(deserted)-Patras. Then I never came back to Ionian as the Aegean kept me busy for 30 years and did nearly 60 ports there plus numerous anchorages.

Re the Westerly 33, she definitley had good sea manners surprisingly for a quite tubby hull, but then Laurant Giles was a good designer; story goes that the first Westerly he designed was the 36, from that he was asked to do the 33 and it is said his fee was to have one of the first builds for himself, so he made sure it was 'right'. I once was giving a lift to an owner of a Rival (36) with the wind on the nose in a short sea and he commented that the W 33 behaved better than the Rival, which I had always considered to be a good sea boat.

My W33 is still in Greece but now in the ownership of a great yacht engineer who used to help me out with maintenance. He was in the middle of refurbishment, including new standing rigging after 35 years, when Covid hit and has delayed things, so she is still in my old yard. If anything she was slightly over-engineered unlike some French charter boats these days which I consider flimsy.

Happy days. And so are MH days.

Geoff

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I once was giving a lift to an owner of a Rival (36) with the wind on the nose in a short sea and he commented that the W 33 behaved better than the Rival, which I had always considered to be a good sea boat.
SNIP
Happy days. And so are MH days.

Geoff
My SHE 36 was a Sparkman and Stevens designed boat. If you look at these pics you can see from the bow shape how she went upwind like a knife through butter - 7.25Kn max!
She rolled rather a lot under spinny though... :eek:

2003_0210_125945AA.JPG

2003_0704_132615AA.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back