Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
has anyone ever purchased a new or pre owned van,driven for a few miles and realised it was the biggest mistake of there lives?..:Doh:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If you think it was the biggest mistake of your life please tell us why

is it that you were ripped off with the vehicle

or is it you are not enjoying motorhoming

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
very good teaser question:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Everyone sitting on the edge of their seats waiting:Smile::Smile:

And then!!!!!!!!!

Nothing:winky::winky:

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
No we don't regret our change over from caravan to MH. The thing is there is a sexy little number reviewed in the CC mag this month from that french outfit Strerkeman that is a bit good and seems to be great value, okay it's a caravan but if this had been seen before we may have reconsidered before buying MH.:Blush:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The problem is, as soon as you have bought something, there is always an update/ better model just around the corner.
I've just been looking lustfully at the new Bailey Approach, weeks after I bought what I considered the best van for us. Luckily, the push button ignition on the fridge put me off!
Allan

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi all,...I was referring to what I consider to be a mistake for me when I traded in my first van, an autosleeper executive which we loved to bits,for a bigger van. autotrail Dakota. it was a nice van,but after a few trips away,i began to notice things had been messed with and for want of a better word bodged up. bits of wire tucked up in corners,holes drilled here and there where cables had been installed and removed for sat dishes and solar panels.and bits dropping off here and there.i know its only trivial stuff,but when you have just spent a small fortune you feel so angry with yourself for not spotting all these things before you parted with your cash.and just to add insult to injury her indoors is saying.....TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE OTHER VAN!!:Doh: anyway,its gone now traded it in for another,touch wood all good so far:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
bits of wire tucked up in corners,holes drilled here and there where cables had been installed and removed for sat dishes and solar panels.and bits dropping off here and there

Is that all ????

You should try buying a new one from a certain UK manufacturer, then you'd really know what pain is.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Our first ever van ( in 1987) was a 2 berth Devon Conversion VW of 1973 vintage. We travelled all over Europe in the van but missed being able to stand up inside
So, we sold it and bought a Ford CI Motorhome. Plenty of room to stand up and walk about, it even had a bathroom with Shower
But, it was like driving a tank, and even though we toured Europe in it, I never really enjoyed it and regretted selling the VW.
So, we sold it and bought another VW, this time, a 4 berth ( there were now 3 of us) with a Pop top and went everywhere in it. We kept it for about 8 years before selling it.
Since then we have tried caravans and tents, but nothing gives you the feeling of freedom like a camper van
Fast forward 13 years, and we are the proud owners of a new van
Still miss the VW's though.
Allan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But, it was like driving a tank
Allan

Ach so. So zat is vy our German MH is alvays trying to get to Poland.

Driving through German this year we came across a huge compound of tanks. They were all chained down yet the chains were stretched taut in the direction of Poland.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
No need.

Just google faulty hab doors, rotten floors, collapsing beds, condensation.

Hmm, if its who I think it is, we had two of their caravans and both suffered with damp spongy walls. We had the bathroom wall replaced twice within a few weeks then on the earlier one. just before we sold the later one we noticed that the aluminium chassis cracked at the front.
Apart from that, they were ok!
Allan

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
No we don't regret our change over from caravan to MH. The thing is there is a sexy little number reviewed in the CC mag this month from that french outfit Strerkeman that is a bit good and seems to be great value, okay it's a caravan but if this had been seen before we may have reconsidered before buying MH.:Blush:

Quick nurse, another shot of Motorhome addiction, this one's loosing the urge!

Also, just imagine having to cook outside on that 'slide out' griddle and sit outside because you've got no lounge. Boiling water on a hob for all your needs would be a bit of a pain. Think you've had a lucky escape!

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
your worst nightmare

I've said this before and will probably bore everyone repeating myself, but why is everyone so polite. If you have a problem with a dealer or rubbish model or poor service, then the only way to stop it is to NAME and SHAME.
Until they start losing business then nothing will change ,just laugh at us and another mug through their door,

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
has anyone ever purchased a new or pre owned van,driven for a few miles and realised it was the biggest mistake of there lives?..:Doh:

hi think they call it buyers remorse we all get it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Been lucky - liked the last van, despite its issues and now well pleased with the current one. Nothing is perfect; the layout isn't quite right but not a major issue. 3 litre engine, Al-Ko chassis and very well screwed together.

Minor botches on a s/h van aren't a good sign but also may not be as bad as initially thought. Poor build quality on some new vans - as alluded to above - are much more serious. If you are concerned then get someone reputable to have a really good look at it for peace of mind. Cheers!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've said this before and will probably bore everyone repeating myself, but why is everyone so polite. If you have a problem with a dealer or rubbish model or poor service, then the only way to stop it is to NAME and SHAME.
Until they start losing business then nothing will change ,just laugh at us and another mug through their door,

unless you have documented proof the slander (personal) and Libel (business) laws come into effect.......and posting on a forum leaves the forum owner (Jim) to carry the can, not the poster.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
No need.

Just google faulty hab doors, rotten floors, collapsing beds, condensation.

I just did and got your post which has been indexed....so that's not going to work is it! :0

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Hmm. Googled faulty hab doors and got 3 or 4 different makes with door problems
If it helps narrow down the hunt, the 2 caravans I mentioned earlier were made by Swift. They were really good vans apart from the soggy walls and broken chassis!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back