Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well the big shows are over. What have you got your eye on? Or are you doing a bit of motorhome austerity and staying put with what you've got?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Austerity for us.

For about 15 years I suspect::bigsmile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Austerity for us too unless we win the lottery. Yes, I know but you can dream. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Staying put.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it. Much better to spend the cash on diesel and campsites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Give us a chance, Jim, we only just bought our van ::bigsmile:

Seriously, when we bought it we weren't sure whether we would keep it long term or only for a few months - it was just there at the right time when we were without a van. As it turns out, it does suit us so we will keep it until we happen to see something which gives us more rather than actively looking to change. Having said that, the only show we've been to this year was Peterborough and it wasn't really the weather for looking at vans ::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Been and gone and done it

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 38

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having trimmed the fleet down from 3 to 1 this year, am sticking with what I have........Till something else takes my fancy :RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
subject to selling the Winnebago

Subject to selling the Winnebago (Without having to trade in) we are buying a toy hauler.. I suspect it will be the Ford E450 chassis with the same power plant we have now.. i.e a V10 6.8ltr

The trailer is sold to another MHF member, so step one is completed.. now we need to sell the Winnebago and we can then complete the deal we have in mind on the replacement. Slightly longer than the present 23'9" we have now.. but not so different. Just a different make.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim,got my eye on one like Link Removed to convert.Now all I have to do is convince SWMBO to let me get it and do it ::bigsmile:EDIT forgot to say also to convince her to let me sell our existing van.::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were thinking of changing but we have hunted and hunted and nothing suits us as much as this one does, Tez needs a medical to drive it after another 2 years so might do it then if he fails the medical, cant see it as he is fit enough but who knows what the future brings.
Will have to downsize then, I dont want to drive it, its too big and I am nervous driving it.
Hope they bring out a winterised (foreign) one with a rear lounge/single beds, fridge freezer and a overhead cab we need the storage!!
Dont want much do we oh and it needs to be the same length around 6 or 7 mtrs but 3500kgs.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Subject to selling the Winnebago (Without having to trade in) we are buying a toy hauler.. I suspect it will be the Ford E450 chassis with the same power plant we have now.. i.e a V10 6.8ltr

The trailer is sold to another MHF member, so step one is completed.. now we need to sell the Winnebago and we can then complete the deal we have in mind on the replacement. Slightly longer than the present 23'9" we have now.. but not so different. Just a different make.

Bob

I am reasonably sure that you have it covered Bob but for those that dont....Are you SURE you have the correct licence to drive your MH.

This is from the Government website:

When driving larger vehicles, the maximum authorised mass (total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) determines the driving licence entitlement needed.
Maximum authorised mass.

If the vehicle has a maximum authorised mass, which exceeds 3.5 tonnes, but not 7.5 tonnes then a category C1 licence is needed. If the maximum authorised mass exceeds 7.5 tonnes then a category C licence is needed.

I only mention it as, when I had an RV I met lots of people driving quite heavy RV`s on a car licence, thinking that because it was not a "Truck" they didn't need the class "C" licence and as you can see, you do.

Sorry if it has been covered before but I guess no harm in a reminder.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Can't see anything else to beat what we have, we'll be keeping ours for ever!!!::bigsmile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
My sister has lost her static in Wales over the weekend, it just floated away. Now, she says that she doubts that they will get another since, with the insurance payout, that will pay for a few holidays and also, when you look at the cost of travelling up and down to the van, the service charge and all that, they could have a few weekends away each year and also join the local bowling club and join in other activities. Food for thought. I wonder if it is an age thing and your needs change? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Looked at a few vans at Newbury-nothing ticked all the boxes,but a few came close.
Burstner Nexxo is top of list so far,closely followed by Geist and LMC (which are what we went to look at) The Burstner sort of 'snuck in' and we did like the guys at Chelston's who didn't walk away when we said it could be a few mths before we buy.
More looking to be done at Stratford.::bigsmile:

Mike.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hold a C1 +E up to 8.25 tons Mass

I am reasonably sure that you have it covered Bob but for those that dont....Are you SURE you have the correct licence to drive your MH.

This is from the Government website:

When driving larger vehicles, the maximum authorised mass (total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) determines the driving licence entitlement needed.
Maximum authorised mass.

If the vehicle has a maximum authorised mass, which exceeds 3.5 tonnes, but not 7.5 tonnes then a category C1 licence is needed. If the maximum authorised mass exceeds 7.5 tonnes then a category C licence is needed.

I only mention it as, when I had an RV I met lots of people driving quite heavy RV`s on a car licence, thinking that because it was not a "Truck" they didn't need the class "C" licence and as you can see, you do.

Sorry if it has been covered before but I guess no harm in a reminder.

I hold a C1 + E plus .. & A = Motorbike..... B + Be, B1, D1 + D1E f,k,L,n, and p....

My winnebago is 5 tons (just under) and I am entitled to drive up to 7.5 tons or 8.25 tons mass weight if pulling a trailer.

Many RV's are under 7.5 tons.. there are a lot over 7.5 tons that require a C licence.

THe replacement RV / Toy hauler is under 7.5 tons.

Being a retired lawyer (Criminal) RTA (Road Traffic Acts was my bread and butter) .. even these days still pay a fortune for Wilkinsons Road Traffic Act to be up to date with the motor law plus the up daters.

But thank you for posting the issue. I have just completed writing the words for the ebay advert to put on when we get back from France later in the month and I make it very clear in that advert the buyer will need a C1 licence to drive the RV as it is over 3.5 tons.

Bob

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Fancy the new Sun Ti but will stick with this one in the five year plan! It's too expensive to follow ones fancy's!:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
five year plan

Fancy the new Sun Ti but will stick with this one in the five year plan! It's too expensive to follow ones fancy's!:thumb:

Like you we had a five year plan on the RV.. 10 on one of the cars (now 9 years old) .. but as age and mobility have become more of an issue we have now had to look at changing at the 4 year mark.. so nice to have a goal of the number of years.. but sometimes needs mean you have to alter the time scale.

Wonder what others set as a time frame for there present motor home? I know some that seem to change them almost every year.

Bob:Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
For any one that has not got a clue what Bob is talking about.... I htink this is it

Nice bit of kit.

Not changing mine this year Jim, last van Ill ever buy :winky::winky::Cool:

Feb 16, 2010
Newport, Gwent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2002(previously 25 years caravaning
Staying with what we've got thank goodness, having had the OK from DVLA that I can still drive the Frankia :thumb::roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thanks Paul

For any one that has not got a clue what Bob is talking about.... I htink this is it

Nice bit of kit.

Not changing mine this year Jim, last van Ill ever buy :winky::winky::Cool:

Thanks Paul... I am looking at a normal RV C class with the the toy hauler back end with a power lift.

Comes in under 7.5 tons .. do not need to pull a trailer or car.. we can get both disabled scoters and my manual scooter in side plus a quad bike.

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, I can't see me ever buying another motorhome.. makes no economic sense .. will use the caravan until Chaz flees the nest

Travel by Luxury Coach... that's more like it..

for example, you can have two weeks at the Italian Lakes, 4 star hotel with en-suite, all meals, door to door travel, waited on hand and foot for around £1600 ..

I'm trading in my flipflops and shorts for a linen suite and Panama hat ASAP :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well, I can't see me ever buying another motorhome.. makes no economic sense .. will use the caravan until Chaz flees the nest

Travel by Luxury Coach... that's more like it..

for example, you can have two weeks at the Italian Lakes, 4 star hotel with en-suite, all meals, door to door travel, waited on hand and foot for around £1600 ..

I'm trading in my flipflops and shorts for a linen suite and Panama hat ASAP :Cool:
::bigsmile: While I can see your point we did that type of hols 3-4 times a yr for a good 25 yrs (but flew)now it is the time for us to do as we please as and when we want.If the van sits on the drive so be it,but she is always ready within a few mins for the off whenever the fancy takes us :thumb:priority's change as does life so enjoy your panama hat :thumb:it is time for us to enjoy the van just as you have done in the past ::bigsmile::winky:
Don't you miss the van at all Jim ?
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't you miss the van at all Jim ?
terry

Yes, I do Terry , but to be honest we don't have the time to fully enjoy one with Chaz at school, nor indeed the money to go long haul touring .. so it would sit on the drive most of the time..
Once Chaz leaves we may get a camper.. but that's a few years yet.. lots can change in that time and as I get older I don't enjoy driving as I much as I did, so coach holidays have a lot of appeal, not just financial.. .. who knows..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes, I do Terry , but to be honest we don't have the time to fully enjoy one with Chaz at school, nor indeed the money to go long haul touring .. so it would sit on the drive most of the time..
Once Chaz leaves we may get a camper.. but that's a few years yet.. lots can change in that time and as I get older I don't enjoy driving as I much as I did, so coach holidays have a lot of appeal, not just financial.. .. who knows..

Like I said things change :winky: we never went on hols during school hols but now find we have to :Doh: You need to get rid of the Honda or get a Honda stepwagon :thumb:=everyday runabout plus small camper for the odd night or two ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back