Your Mosquito and Midge Strategy (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I use Smidge.
Broken Link Removed
I think it works. Used to swell up - still got the scars. Not any more so it seems to be the business however I also take a daily multivitamin.
Definitely west coast the worst but so beautiful that it's worth the risk - or go in spring.
Happy travels!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi wellsprungalice,when we are out and about up here during the summer months,we find that pure lemon juice freshly squeezed ,works well and keeps the beggers at bay we always take few also with us ,lemons that is,hope you all enjoy your travels in scotland:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This site gives a forecast for where the midges are likely to be. They also sell Smidge. http://midgeforecast.co.uk

Worryingly, where we are going has the highest forecast!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
For SA next year l am going to try smidge if it works on mossies do you know?

This was recommended to me Atun so trying that (hope the link works)

Taking mossie coils

l also like garlic so adding it to the mix

My being a mossie and biting insect magnet has only happened since l have been diabetic. I am now normal with my bloods (extreme control of my eating and therefore blood glucose) defiantly something changed with body chemistry not sure if it was high glucose or what that attracted the barstewards :cry:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
As a seasoned long distance walker I can tell you that nothing worked for me until last year. I am currently looking at my arsenal of jungle formula, Avon skin so soft, garlic tabs, Autan etc because I am off to Majorca next Saturday. I use the skin so soft when walking ( and head net of course when required ) it kind of stops the biting but not getting covered in midges. I have suffered from severe mozzie bites for years, ballooning red spots that have left scars. Taking garlic for weeks before and during holidays did not work; I also used tonic water (quinine) to no avail. Last year however I discovered Ben's deet wipes, Vit B complex, tiger balm and a zapper click. I have the jungle and Autan sprays but didn't have to use them. On the first night when we arrived I thought I would be safe enough so didn't have any ant-mozzie stuff on....... NOT, what was I thinking of:Doh: anyway I only had about seven bites in the morning, zapped them with the clicker, rubbed on the tiger balm and they did not itch or get to the ballooning stage of previous years. There after for 10 days I used the Ben's wipes and the Vit B tabs and nothing else. I had no more bites, yeehaa. Kept rubbing in the tiger balm daily on the original bites; it worked a treat. So I guess what I am saying is that it has taken me years to find what works for me and hopefully it will work next week. Good luck in finding what works for you.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
They don't bite me but the annoying tickle you get as they dive on you is very annoying.

From the Midge forecast it looks like this year is going to be a bad one. The worst place seems to be around Glencoe, Lochs Linnhe and Leven and up to Fort William. Already at 4 (5 is highest), so if that's where you'r heading ....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
The midge forecast isn't particularly reliable because how annoying they are depends on the weather, and they can't forecast that either :ROFLMAO:
Avon stuff being used by any of the armed forces is a myth.

I think what works for some people may not work for others, the only thing that works for me is something with a fairly high concentration of DEET. I absolutely hate putting it on, (especially when I can see it melting my nail-varnish) but needs must. You can buy anti-midge shirts as well as head nets.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the general message is you have to experiment to find what works for you.

Autun and Smidge have the same active ingredient ( Saltidin) but Smidge is supposed to be sweatproof. DEET is an abbreviation for N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide. It is well tested but is a solvent. I ruined a pair of glasses with the stuff when I lived in Belize. If you are happy lathering the stuff on your skin it certainly works but it is oily.

My experience of mozzies in Belize was you had to cover up as much as possible and apply repellant to every square inch of exposed skin. You might then get away without being bitten.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RYTNHW/?tag=mhf04-21

I can highly recommend these wipes!! Mozzies love me too and over the years I have tried absolutely everything. I also trust Mozzy Coils and the plug ins with the liquid. But the greatest advice I can give is avoid dusk and dawn, that is when the little blighters are at there hungriest! If you do get bit the best cream is Hydrocortisone 1%. Apply it at first signs of being bit and most importantly DONT scratch. If you burst the skin they take much longer to go away and are much itchier and then also scar. Carry the wipes and cream at all times, there are always Mosquitos!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Swear by Boots repel stuff:Smile: works for me.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I have been wondering about Smidge, whether it actually works on mozzies?

Cos nowt else does it seems, they just like the taste of me whatever 'deadly' poison I drench myself it, however many yards of bailer twine I wrap round the cuffs and ankles of whatever capacious and all-covering garments I chose to wear so that in the finish I might just as well sit out by the stagnant water on the grass under the trees by the side of the hedge in the altogether for all the good anything else does me.

I was exactly the same before a
Broad spectrum multi B vitamin. Every day , try it:thumb:

Marmite , brewers yeast , beer = B vitamin . This broad spectrum contains all the B vitamins in concentrated form. High strength .

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Deet for prevention and Tiger Balm if you get bitten.

Over the years travelling especially Asia Ive tried everything mentioned in previous posts and none of it is as good as Deet and Tiger Balm. When you buy Deet check the strength as it can vary a lot, get the strongest you can.

We were in Alaska this time last year and we were literally covered from head to toe in mossies but got away with a handful of bites thanks to a very strong Deet even the locals use it. It's horrible stuff to put on but it works.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
kill 1 of the buggers and stivk it on ya chest lay there and when his mates c what ya done to him it will scare the shite out of em and they will naff orf :ROFLMAO:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
1. Never kill a midge..... 20,000 mourning midges will come to the funeral.:Eeek::Eeek:

2. Most midge repellents are more effective as attractants

3. Bog myrtle seems to be the plant that midges avoid. Try hanging a bunch up in your roof vent. Also wear a bog myrtle posy whilst out and about.

4.They are attracted by CO2 emissions. So stop breathing.:Eeek:

5. We used to use Dettol mixed with grape seed oil to mask body odour. That seemed to work for us, as did prolonged use of brewers yeast tablets, before, during and after the visit.

6. Good head nets can make life more bearable.

7. Stoicism........... Don`t let the fear of midges spoil your enjoyment of the Highlands. If it wasn`t for midges, we would not be able to find space in the Highlands, because of all the motorhomers who would be visiting there!

8. Keep vents closed as much as possible. Avoid excessive exhausting of CO2 from gas burning appliances.

9. As stated only female midges bite! Bit like human life!!:Eeek:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well Autan doesn't work - that's with me standing nekkid and my husband spraying it ALL over me before we go out. And it stinks. And I still get bitten.

I think it blocks your pores too because I just get overheated and that makes me itch before anything bites.

If Smidge is the same stuff .......

So I shall purchase Vitamin B and see how I go with that.

Incidentally Bulawayo Lass and any other diabetics - did you know that Metformin after using for some time, causes a Vit B12 shortage? So it's worth getting that checked out anyway if you are taking it.

Jenny

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
Some brilliant suggestions here, thanks. It really does seem that different things work for different folks.

Autan ordered (as it's about half the price of Smidge, and has the same % of the same active ingredient). We'll also be looking into the garlic, vitamins and brewers yeast ideas. J already takes hefty doses of B12, and that hasn't made any difference, but maybe the broad-spectrum Bs will do.

I am still looking for something that will remove/kill midges that have got into the van without attracting even more to come in. We'll be wild camping about 2/3 of the time and I've not found a 12v socket except one buried deep in the TV cupboard, so I need something that runs on batteries and will attract midges, not just mosquitos.

Flymal

Free Member
Dec 26, 2012
Tayside
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Midges are different from mozzies. Mozzies like to get you in the dark and they shun the light. Midges prefer the light but not bright sunlight. They prefer it dull or dusky twilight. They really hate air movement - much more than mozzies.

So if you make it darker where you are by using an external lamp ( solar charge ) a bit away from your van, on a stick say, then get a fan in your van stirring the air - job done. No midges. It works, honest !!:Cool: You don't need any voodoo potions.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Hi Jenny did know and was meant to ask for test paperwork for when l have my hba1c in a few days and forgot will ring tuesday and ask for paperwork...thanks for that.

And also they do mossie clicker thingies in Asda l found them yesterday. Was going to wait buying but actually have bite on my ankle from something today that bit me overnight....chuffing heap of ******** now itching ankle and sore throat from a cold

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
In India we bought Odemos (not sure of spelling) it comes as either spray or rub-on. Did not get any bites in India so if it works out there, might work in Scotland.

Not sure if you can buy it here or on internet.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Just come back from Argyll, midgie fest but Avon stuff works for me also lots of smoke from chiminea, can't believe I haven't one itchy spot:Smile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Gave up being bitten alive....now ducking under the covers trying to hide.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back