Your Driving licence after a Hard Brexit (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've written a as I understand them. As ever when I write one of these articles feel free to question or put me right in this thread. Cheers.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the succinct update @Jim. One problem for a lot like us is : We left the UK in December before any mention of IDP’s, we are travelling back from Spain through France in our MotorHome to get a ferry from France. I could have applied for a Spanish one before end of January but didn’t have a cheque book here and AA/RAC would only accept cheques but I couldn’t get a French one by post so consequently have neither. I can’t see how we can get a permit to travel home if needed unless we leave the motorhome here, fly home, get the permits from a PO, fly back and then drive home. Other option is to go back to UK before 29th March but not considering that either at the minute. There will be many hundreds like us I am sure. Any answers?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Be sure to check your IDP before leaving the post office, it is in tiny letters. We didn't can now seemingly ride a motorcycle, great news couldn't before;) John not to happy, has hidden his bike keys :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the succinct update @Jim. One problem for a lot like us is : We left the UK in December before any mention of IDP’s, we are travelling back from Spain through France in our MotorHome to get a ferry from France. I could have applied for a Spanish one before end of January but didn’t have a cheque book here and AA/RAC would only accept cheques but I couldn’t get a French one by post so consequently have neither. I can’t see how we can get a permit to travel home if needed unless we leave the motorhome here, fly home, get the permits from a PO, fly back and then drive home. Other option is to go back to UK before 29th March but not considering that either at the minute. There will be many hundreds like us I am sure. Any answers?

Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You have a great excuse as to why you don't have one, the chances of being stopped are slim. My only concern would be my insurance company and I'd probably drop them a line explaining the situation.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I am sure there are as many EU nationals in the UK in the same position, I would think that a little common sense will prevail on both sides.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
To be honest I am not. I have come to the stage where I am trying to pretend nothing is happening and just going to play things as they arise. Yes common sense and truthful explanation. Just interested in what other thought who were in a similar position. Staying on a site in Spain at the moment, as you can imagine the rumours abounding are many and varied. Ignoring them seems the way forward until we have hard fact.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am sure there are as many EU nationals in the UK in the same position, I would think that a little common sense will prevail on both sides.
I don't think we insist on them here. So if you are johnny Foreigner and stopped here; the old bill are happy with seeing your original licences. A Spanish cop with a Brit abroad though...who knows.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Government generosity at its usual best....

What do I need? How Much Will it Cost?
A single IDP will cost £5.50 Two will cost £11 etc

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I was stopped in early January in Benidorm by the police and the only thing he asked for was my driving licence, took it away for a few minutes then brought it back told me to go. It looked like they were only stopping UK cars.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was stopped in early January in Benidorm by the police and the only thing he asked for was my driving licence, took it away for a few minutes then brought it back told me to go. It looked like they were only stopping UK cars.
If there is a police force in Europe that will insist on seeing an IDP, who'd bet that it wouldn't be the Spanish.:D Any excuse to rake in a few €€

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Be sure to check your IDP before leaving the post office, it is in tiny letters. We didn't can now seemingly ride a motorcycle, great news couldn't before;) John not to happy, has hidden his bike keys :ROFLMAO:

That reminds me of the IDP that I got around 1994 when they were issued at the local AA shop. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that the young lad behind the counter obviously didn't have a clue what to do because he had stamped every single box meaning that I could pretty much drive anything and everything.

Reactions: Jim

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
@Jim is there a time limit on how long they last, or have i misinterpreted "You can post date your permit to start on any date up to three months in advance." as I cant see any other reason to post date the start date

Lucky enough to be able to post on a "B" thread !! (y)

Cheers

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
They last from 1 to 3 years, see the FAQs on the Post Office page linked to in Jim’s article (and above).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Got mine today at the Post Office in Nottm,,,Soon to be taken over by W H Smith..Lucky as i got a young assistant who understood the system and i got the two i need..Asked her if she would be transferring to W H Smith..No she said,,min wage, no pension and min holidays..She said the recruited W H Smith staff would have 2 weeks training..Glad i got mine today..BUSBY,

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
What about all the EU truck drivers ? Are they all going to apply in their home country in case they get sent to the UK ? Maybe park at Dover and phone the boss to post one over.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Interesting
Road traffic accidents in the EU
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

If involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country before 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings in the UK against either the insurer or the MIBbefore 29 March 2019. After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Interesting
Road traffic accidents in the EU
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

If involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country before 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings in the UK against either the insurer or the MIBbefore 29 March 2019. After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice.
Would think that your LEGAL cover on your van insurance would cover this..When my van was written off in Germany my legal cover recovered my excess from the German involved.BUSBY,

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thanks Jim. Very useful info. Like you say, for the sake of a few quid and trip to local PO, better be safe than sorry, particularly as we're planning to set off mid-late March, depending on availability of house sitter.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Spanish plod and Spanish government state they know nothing about it anyway!

( this from the spanish traffic police FB Page)

8F5C8918-F64E-48BF-B980-5BF484B25F40.png

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Far too many posts "This may ... that might .... you could have to" with respect, but this, in many circumstances only serves to worry or scare others. Good solid facts are what are required and they sadly in very short supply. The rest .... is simply gob wobbling.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
So I can drive in the USA, Canada, South Africa all with my UK licence but will need an IDP for France? I don't think so. Pre joining the EU we lived in Belgium, just had UK licence no IDP, why has this international agreement changed just because we are leaving the EU?

Mick

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Jim, looking good, just seen your photo at the bottom though ... are you trying to scare people away from visiting Jasmin? :eek:

2d8a4f9a265478d8eff5b1b88969ed9e

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back