Your Driving licence after a Hard Brexit (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have to collect in person from Post Office with photos. No longer possible to get them online from AA, RAC etc.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I doubt it very much. They need to see your passport to confirm identity and you have to sign the IDP in their presence.

Passport is only needed if you present the paper-only version of your driving licence. If you have the photocard version, a third person can apply for you.
I am getting one of my brothers to do this for me.
Keep you posted.

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
Passport is only needed if you present the paper-only version of your driving licence. If you have the photocard version, a third person can apply for you.
I am getting one of my brothers to do this for me.
Keep you posted.

I went to get one for myself and husband with all the relevant stuff - wouldn’t do husband’s as he has to sign the completed IDP in front of the PO clerk.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
We are in Majorca for another 4 week, talking to an information rep she told us being OAP we could get a bus pass, which we did, this gives us half price bus faires, no charge, the pass last for 5 years, not bad. Having Traditional Sunday Lunch, very nice at Penny Lane in restaurant in Palmanover. Reading a local paper they are proposing to employ 1500 new people to cope with passports control and goods. We will have to wait and see. On the other hand there are plenty of places in England that we have not seen plus USA etc. It’s a waiting game.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I went to get one for myself and husband with all the relevant stuff - wouldn’t do husband’s as he has to sign the completed IDP in front of the PO clerk.

That's weird because their FAQs suggest that what @sciac2001 is proposing is doable

Can someone apply for an IDP on my behalf?
Yes they can, providing they have the correct supporting documents.

Copied from FAQs at the bottom of this page
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

I suppose there's the possibility that the PO Clerk you saw was just assuming that the person has to be present and wasn't aware that so long as all the docs were correct it could be issued.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Only valid for a year!!!

And I've got to get a photo :eek:

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Update...
My brother called his local PO to be told that the person for whom the IDP is for is the only person who can apply at the PO.
This is most definately contrary to the Government's own guidelines and my brother asked how someone in my position, already abroad could drive legally after 29th March if it came to it. The staff at the PO could not answer. How could they?
It goes to show how uninformed counter-staff can seriously affect how one plans going forward.
Another brother will call a different PO to see what their version is.
Farcical.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Update...
My brother called his local PO to be told that the person for whom the IDP is for is the only person who can apply at the PO.
This is most definately contrary to the Government's own guidelines and my brother asked how someone in my position, already abroad could drive legally after 29th March if it came to it. The staff at the PO could not answer. How could they?
It goes to show how uninformed counter-staff can seriously affect how one plans going forward.
Another brother will call a different PO to see what their version is.
Farcical.

The sensible way to do it is to download & print the above post office link then take it in with them & shove it under the counter & refuse to leave until they get it sorted. & make a complaint.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The sensible way to do it is to download & print the above post office link then take it in with them & shove it under the counter & refuse to leave until they get it sorted. & make a complaint.
Good luck with that! :LOL:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Much ado about nothing IMO

Will the hire car companies really insist on an IDP?

They are the only places in Spain I have ever shown my driving licence

Just on my way back from Spain...

And so many Brit cars (including mine) with no GB plate - shock horror !!

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Much ado about nothing IMO

Will the hire car companies really insist on an IDP?

They are the only places in Spain I have ever shown my driving licence

Just on my way back from Spain...

And so many Brit cars (including mine) with no GB plate - shock horror !!

Hopefully it will be much ado about nothing.
With respect, your previous experiences about showing your licence has occured whilst we have been in the EU. Attitudes might change and as we know, some police will be more vindictive than others and find us easy potential income generators.
Will hire companies insist on IDPs? They might not but any insurance taken out might. Reactions are too much of an unknown for me to not take initial steps, especially as I am already abroad.
Don't get me wrong, I really need it to be all about nothing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have managed to book a ferry directly from Santander so I won't have a need for the French version of the IDP. (I already have the Spanish version.)
Expensive workaround though! :LOL:

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
I totaly agree.

Like all other 'explanations' on the subject, e.g. gov.uk, Post Office, and now by Jim, they are hedged around with 'qualifiers'. In Jim's case 'highly likely' and 'likely'

The French have already stated the position after B*exit and the quote from the Spanish Police does the same - no IDP necessary.

The 140 countries have obligations under the Conventions. They could require translations as per IDP but throughout Europe the licences are in a standard format in numbers - who needs a translation Oh Please!? Most policemen in Europe under 55 have probably never seen an IDP from a UK driver, so why would they start looking at one now, when they can look at a standard licence and understand it, since it looks like their own licence?

Geoff
Mine doesn't it's still pink with lots of words and green boxes and has little holes whereb4 folds meet. Most English police are too young to have seen my paper liecence let alone abroad. Still going though

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
That's weird because their FAQs suggest that what @sciac2001 is proposing is doable

Can someone apply for an IDP on my behalf?
Yes they can, providing they have the correct supporting documents.

Copied from FAQs at the bottom of this page
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

I suppose there's the possibility that the PO Clerk you saw was just assuming that the person has to be present and wasn't aware that so long as all the docs were correct it could be issued.

For the record, the Post Office online enquiry have responded to my query and have confirmed that their counter-staff who refuse to accept 3rd party applications are mistaken.
Provided the paperwork presented is correct then anyone can act on behalf of the applicant.
They have apologised for any inconvenience caused.
(Just shows how inadequately trained staff can ruin travel plans unnecessarily.)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
For the record, the Post Office online enquiry have responded to my query and have confirmed that their counter-staff who refuse to accept 3rd party applications are mistaken.
Provided the paperwork presented is correct then anyone can act on behalf of the applicant.
They have apologised for any inconvenience caused.
(Just shows how inadequately trained staff can ruin travel plans unnecessarily.)
Glad I was wrong! Our local post office said you had to do it in person so I believed them. We ended up having to cancel our trip due to family stuff so didn't do it and are waiting to see the final outcome of the Brexit palaver now.

If people have trouble as it's all so new, would you be willing to post your email, with the names blanked out of course so that others could print it off and take it to their local Post Office? Just a thought. Thanks for the useful info anyway.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So, hoping to set off to Spain via France, next week, we tootled off to Sainsburys and paid our £7 each for our passport photos - then drove off to Wolverhampton to get the IDP's. Post Master very sorry but the forms have been revised and they haven't got any in. Doesn't know when they'll be available :sick:, but not by next week!
Home again and several phone calls later have managed to locate an office in Shrewsbury which will issue the documents. So fingers crossed, we'll make the 70 mile round trip to Shrewsbury tomorrow and hope to get our documents! :mad:

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Glad I was wrong! Our local post office said you had to do it in person so I believed them. We ended up having to cancel our trip due to family stuff so didn't do it and are waiting to see the final outcome of the Brexit palaver now.

If people have trouble as it's all so new, would you be willing to post your email, with the names blanked out of course so that others could print it off and take it to their local Post Office? Just a thought. Thanks for the useful info anyway.

My pleasure

Date: 12 February 2019 at 13:57:25 CET
To:
Subject: Post Office - Your Enquiry CRM:0036802345

Dear Mr

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We can issue permits to third party members, the applicant does NOT need to be present. We do apologise that you have been given this information.

We do not need an application form anymore. All that is needed in branch to issue the permit is the applicants original UK driving licence and a unused passport photograph.

Please note if you have a paper licence we would also require a valid passport.

If we can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us again by replying to this email or emailing us at customercare@postoffice.co.uk directly.

Kind Regards,

Laura Smallman 

Customer Service Advisor

Textphone: 03457 22 33 55 (For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing)

Email: customercare@postoffice.co.uk

www.facebook.com/postoffice

www.twitter.com/postoffice

Did you know? You can find information about Post Office products and services at www.postoffice.co.uk.

Post Office Limited is committed to protecting your privacy, information about how we do this can be found on our website at www.postoffice.co.uk/privacy

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So, hoping to set off to Spain via France, next week, we tootled off to Sainsburys and paid our £7 each for our passport photos - then drove off to Wolverhampton to get the IDP's. Post Master very sorry but the forms have been revised and they haven't got any in. Doesn't know when they'll be available :sick:, but not by next week!
Home again and several phone calls later have managed to locate an office in Shrewsbury which will issue the documents. So fingers crossed, we'll make the 70 mile round trip to Shrewsbury tomorrow and hope to get our documents! :mad:

Don't waste your time.

French Government and Spanish Police have both confirmed IDPs will not be needed after Brexit.

Geoff

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My pleasure

Date: 12 February 2019 at 13:57:25 CET
To:
Subject:
Post Office - Your Enquiry CRM:0036802345

Dear Mr

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We can issue permits to third party members, the applicant does NOT need to be present. We do apologise that you have been given this information.

We do not need an application form anymore. All that is needed in branch to issue the permit is the applicants original UK driving licence and a unused passport photograph.

Please note if you have a paper licence we would also require a valid passport.

If we can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us again by replying to this email or emailing us at customercare@postoffice.co.uk directly.

Kind Regards,

Laura Smallman 

Customer Service Advisor

Textphone: 03457 22 33 55 (For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing)

Email: customercare@postoffice.co.uk

www.facebook.com/postoffice

www.twitter.com/postoffice

Did you know? You can find information about Post Office products and services at www.postoffice.co.uk.

Post Office Limited is committed to protecting your privacy, information about how we do this can be found on our website at www.postoffice.co.uk/privacy
Thank you, looks like @bellabee could have done with it this morning as it looks like their local post office thinks they are waiting for new application forms!

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Don't waste your time.

French Government and Spanish Police have both confirmed IDPs will not be needed after Brexit.

Geoff

Obviously wishing it to be true but why then does the UK govt keep officially saying that you "might" if there is no deal? (The same applies here in Gibraltar, who's government know the Spanish authorities better than most.)
Can you point us to where you have your info please?

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Far too many posts "This may ... that might .... you could have to" with respect, but this, in many circumstances only serves to worry or scare others. Good solid facts are what are required and they sadly in very short supply. The rest .... is simply gob wobbling.
Having attended a British Embassy Brexit briefing "this may...that might...you may need to..." seems to be the official line. They haven't a clue what will happen due to governmental indecision. Reciprocality is a frequently used term, but Donald Tusk's "hellish" comment seems more succinct!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
STOP PLEASE

It is all here-say until enshrined in law

If it says "May,Might,Could" it's not law

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
STOP PLEASE

It is all here-say until enshrined in law

If it says "May,Might,Could" it's not law

A bit harsh

Anyone heading off before exit date may or may not need anything yes: however for what the IDP etc. costs would you not think it prudent if a motor homer funster etc asks about getting one ?

When we leave with or without a deal then we should have a better idea on what to do but I think this post is based on the governments and other website information that is currently available not what written in law.

I will wait in anticipation of the outcome as the cost of the IDP could be another bottle of Toffee Vodka :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back