Your Driving licence after a Hard Brexit (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim, looking good, just seen your photo at the bottom though ... are you trying to scare people away from visiting Jasmin? :eek:

2d8a4f9a265478d8eff5b1b88969ed9e
Doing my best to appear welcoming :D

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Far too many posts "This may ... that might .... you could have to" with respect, but this, in many circumstances only serves to worry or scare others. Good solid facts are what are required and they sadly in very short supply. The rest .... is simply gob wobbling.
Rubbish! The Brexiteers have clear plans for after March 29th. Like WTO rules they are still a secret.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Good article :) I've got mine, don't forget you need to take a current passport specification photo with you when you apply. Plus, make sure they put their PO branch No. on the front page! (Mine forgot)!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Far too many posts "This may ... that might .... you could have to" with respect, but this, in many circumstances only serves to worry or scare others. Good solid facts are what are required and they sadly in very short supply. The rest .... is simply gob wobbling.

I totaly agree.

Like all other 'explanations' on the subject, e.g. gov.uk, Post Office, and now by Jim, they are hedged around with 'qualifiers'. In Jim's case 'highly likely' and 'likely'

The French have already stated the position after B*exit and the quote from the Spanish Police does the same - no IDP necessary.

The 140 countries have obligations under the Conventions. They could require translations as per IDP but throughout Europe the licences are in a standard format in numbers - who needs a translation Oh Please!? Most policemen in Europe under 55 have probably never seen an IDP from a UK driver, so why would they start looking at one now, when they can look at a standard licence and understand it, since it looks like their own licence?

Geoff

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I don't really understand the purpose of this document. What is it for? What difference will it make? What does it prove?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
And what happens if you're gassed on an aire in France and your IDP is stolen? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Gordon again.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So I can drive in the USA, Canada, South Africa all with my UK licence but will need an IDP for France? I don't think so. Pre joining the EU we lived in Belgium, just had UK licence no IDP, why has this international agreement changed just because we are leaving the EU?

Mick

If you actually read all the info on all those countries an IDP has always been recommended . Many staes in the US don't ask but get a pull from a pedantic officer & you've a problem.
& it hasn't changed until about 2007 it was still recommended for eu countries. I had one in 2002 & had to show it here in 2003, just out of date, & it was commented on by the young guardia. & that was with a plastic UK licence.

Most policemen in Europe under 55 have probably never seen an IDP from a UK driver,
Actually until 2007 the spanish had never seen a photo card licence. Didn't change until then & as above I've been asked for an idp here.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Rubbish! The Brexiteers have clear plans for after March 29th. Like WTO rules they are still a secret.
Just to absolutely disagree...WTO rules are NOT a secret...thats the point

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Good article :) I've got mine, don't forget you need to take a current passport specification photo with you when you apply. Plus, make sure they put their PO branch No. on the front page! (Mine forgot)!

Now I’m confused! The way I read the blurb in the link to the Post Office site, you only need an accompanying passport photo if you have the old paper licence and don’t hold a photocard licence. Am I wrong???

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Does anyone know if I can get an IDP without my licence. I am still driving under section 88 of road traffic act since I applied for renewal at 70 last June!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Does anyone know if you can collect one on behalf of someone else? If so that might be a way out for those stuck down south, just need to stick the licence in the mail.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Does anyone know if you can collect one on behalf of someone else? If so that might be a way out for those stuck down south, just need to stick the licence in the mail.

I doubt it very much. They need to see your passport to confirm identity and you have to sign the IDP in their presence.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Now I’m confused! The way I read the blurb in the link to the Post Office site, you only need an accompanying passport photo if you have the old paper licence and don’t hold a photocard licence. Am I wrong???
The blurb says passport if no photo driving licence ;)(y)always need photo. (y)(y)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Just some feedback......been to get my IDP this morning.....the lady was still learning as she went along.
The main point for me was that I could not have the three years on it as my licence needs renewing every year for the extra groups so only runs to the expiry date at 4b which in my case is January 2020.
Did not show my passport as my licence is a photo one but that does not mean thay she should have asked for it.
Hey ho this could all be a waste of time and money but who knows....did not want to leave it to the point they run out of licences just before we travel.
Although we will cross the pond at the start of March the start date had to been 28th March 2019 for the one I wanted.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010

They wouldn't do mine without, the photo is fixed into the IDP. P.S. I have current plastic photo licence.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The photo is for your new IDP, nothing to do with your existing licence, if you want more than one IDP you'll need photos for each one.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't have either of them and already here

If I end up in a Spanish jail someone send me a file in a cake

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Like others here, I have the 1949 version for Spain Etc which the AA posted over to me abroad. The French one will however be a problem as I will not be in UK until well after 29th March and they are only available from Post Offices.
Hopefully I will be able to ship out from Spain directly when the time comes, ferry spaces permitting.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you are lucky enough to get into France after Brexit, are you allowed to eat or buy fags or anything?

Asking for a friend.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I think I will need a bigger motorhome to carry all the extra paperwork to go to Europe soon .

Slowly getting different areas covered to cover all events and euro number plates and GB sticker next .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was stopped in early January in Benidorm by the police and the only thing he asked for was my driving licence, took it away for a few minutes then brought it back told me to go. It looked like they were only stopping UK cars.

They could have been checking (those with) UK plates to see if the "Residency" terms had been complied with?. Isn't there a limit on how long you can have a vehicle in Spain without re registering it in Spain?.

I don't really understand the purpose of this document. What is it for? What difference will it make? What does it prove?

I was told, many years ago now, (pre EUSSR) that they where needed to to provide translated evidence to local officers?.

I drove all over the USA, at first, on a UK licence (no IDP) I later got a Texas licence, that though saved me money on my R-V insurance too. (about 30%).(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back