Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
The first BBQ around ours with new beers was at the beginning of the month. I still have plenty of the Isle of Skye beers to get through though but they will wait.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

I’m at the Red Lion, Dagnall trying this.
Of course it’s hoppy! Pretty decent though.

Edit: some formatting gremlins from rushed posting…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I started June well and thought I would have plenty of new beers for the month. I didn't, in fact I had two new beers at the very end of June. So here they are.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
New for me last night was West Berks Brewery's Gold Star.
Gold-Star-Golden-Ale-Blog-Banner.jpg

Quite decent but for me overlaps taste wise with their own Maharaja IPA. Need to do a side by side check :drunk:
Both have a citrus flavour. :think:

Gold Star Brewers Notes
See Rich Gold
Smell Orange, Stone Fruit
Taste Citrus, Toasted Malt
Bitter 3 out of 5
Sweet 3 out of 5
ABV 4.1%

Maharaja IPA Brewers Notes
See Golden
Smell Floral, Fruity, Pine
Taste Resinous, Bitter, Tropical
Bitter 3 out of 5
Sweet 2 out of 5
ABV 5.1%

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Next is a decent Sussex stout from the farm shop (Secretts) near the Rakes Corner CL:
FB0F765C-5493-44AE-82A3-4F683CDCA187.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
A Bitter Blow!
Diagio (owners of Guinness) have announced they will no longer be supplying Hophouse 13 Lager to us here in England, it will continue to be available in Ireland North & South.:cry:
I really enjoyed this "Lager" as it was more like a Golden Ale to me, with an amazing Satisfying/Refreshing flavour.ABV 4.1 to 5%
At £1.80 per bottle, the large 650ml presented great value, I didn't bother with the smaller ones.
Apparently Guinness sold more of its traditional Black stuff during the pandemic, than its Hophouse 13 Lager, so they made the business decision to continue to pour the millions that they do in to advertising & sponsorship of various things for The Black stuff, and drop advertising on the lager.
I guess not all liked Hophouse 13, but I grew to love it, nicely chilled from the fridge, especially when preparing the evening meal.
Going to miss it for sure...so sad.
LES

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Specially branded to raise money for my daughters niece Lucie, who was very badly injured while helping her mother out of a smoke filled car.

She was hit by a tractor and has been in hospital since the 27th of January.

I'll keep a look out for it Ralph, and post an image when I do.

Sorry to hear of Lucie sustaining injuries, whilst carrying out a very brave and courageous act. Whatever bond Lucie had with her Mum, it will be even stronger now.
I wish her well with her treatment and recovery. 🧡

Jock.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Abbot Ale

Abbot Ale - Perfect Real Ale

A fine brew, which not only goes back 1000 years in itself, but it has also been suggested (I do not know the evidence) that this ale is the closes recipe to what was believed to have been drunk 2000 years back.

On another note, back in 1982 I was a paramedic, and having sat for 90 minutes on the Hogs Back near Guildford on area cover, we returned to base in Godalming via the old A3 and the junction with Compton. As we came close to the junction where we would turn right off the A3, there before us was a very large canvas sided lorry, on its side, having turned over. It was a Newquay Steam Brew Beer Lorry, and the entire load was strewn across the road. 100's of bottles and amazingly the majority were not broken, laying on the road. We were quickly joined by the fire brigade, who started to clear the area up, as we took the driver to Hospital with luckily for him only a broken nose.

Less than 90 minutes after leaving the scene to go to the Hospital we went back past the place to go back to base........................

7 fire appliances, and LOTS of smiling firemen, and not one single bottle of Newquay Steam Brew Beer left on the road for anyone to see.

Probably the fastest clear up by the fire brigade ever.:winky:

Adge
Just having a few cans of Abbots sat in the sunshine this afternoon.Day five of quarantine so will be having a few more this week.BUSBY.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Not sure but I think that Wensleydale, Our Girl Lucie, is only available in a couple of pubs in North Yorkshire, one is run by Lucie's Mam.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Not sure but I think that Wensleydale, Our Girl Lucie, is only available in a couple of pubs in North Yorkshire, one is run by Lucie's Mam.
What a great tribute to a very brave young lady’s rescue of her mum. Can you tell us which pubs it’s available in please?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Bu@@er Ralph, I've not long got back home from 5 x days in N Yorks, and not likely to be up that way again for at least another year yet. :( It's not an ale I came across in the town of Pickering.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
A Bitter Blow!
Diagio (owners of Guinness) have announced they will no longer be supplying Hophouse 13 Lager to us here in England, it will continue to be available in Ireland North & South.:cry:
I really enjoyed this "Lager" as it was more like a Golden Ale to me, with an amazing Satisfying/Refreshing flavour.ABV 4.1 to 5%
At £1.80 per bottle, the large 650ml presented great value, I didn't bother with the smaller ones.
Apparently Guinness sold more of its traditional Black stuff during the pandemic, than its Hophouse 13 Lager, so they made the business decision to continue to pour the millions that they do in to advertising & sponsorship of various things for The Black stuff, and drop advertising on the lager.
I guess not all liked Hophouse 13, but I grew to love it, nicely chilled from the fridge, especially when preparing the evening meal.
Going to miss it for sure...so sad.
LES
My absolute favourite - as you say a disaster. A decent lager type drink that actually tastes of something.

Bad decision by Guinness - it simply was not always available which is why sales were poor.

Feb 15, 2021
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
2 Years MH (30 years Caravan)
How about pint of Bob's Brew - Old English Bitter.
Homemade (by me) a craft beer made from a old recipe my Dad (named after him) used to make - slight changes here and there though as the hops have changed. I brew it from the grain and hops then bottle or keg.
Lovely hoppy taste with a flowery finish mmm. usually around 5.0 abv mark and they head goes all the way to bottom!
This is often available at Beer Torrent in Leamington Spa from their craft bar in the railway arches (it is a popular seller). They also have a brew shop and craft brewery where you can try a brew of your own, also where I buy all my ingredients from.

IMG_3274.jpeg

Very popular with family, friends and visitors! COVID allowing.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Wensleydale, Our Girl Lucie, is in the Queens Head, Kirkby Malzeard and the Bruce Arms, Masham, both in North Yorkshire .

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
ECDC615F-B381-4AC3-B0A1-914746C23E92.jpeg

im on Proper Job from St. Austell brewery
mrskevenh is on Thatchers Haize cider

The Proper Job is OK. Il have more. 😵
The other beer is Doom Bar. For me, that’s an OK beer but if there’s no other choices.
A bit like having a Guinness if there’s no draft ale 😳

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
CF430FF7-95C1-4C20-A39A-16EDCBDC4ABD.jpeg

Popped into M&S for some topups.
Found “Proper Job from St. Austell brewery” in a bottle and this “brewed for” M&S Chocolate Porter.
Quite smooth, definitely chocolaty.
A surprising amber colour. Not as dark as expected for a Porter.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Lots of rain to disrupt our last full day at the Dovesite Campsite but at the 2nd attempt we got to Melbourne’s town centre.
It’s an interesting small town… with a micro beer pub :drunk:
Two lovely ales I had to try:
Stab In The Dark
EDE20274-468B-4F60-86B1-14D5C51DCC64.jpeg
CAA189E5-3756-4761-9B73-052F211785D9.jpeg

Brewed by Black Iris, Nottingham, this was a lovely chocolaty and other flavours stout.

Farne Island
72DAAA1C-6694-43DB-8A96-1EF4B14DAB1C.png
AA5399E9-D0E1-412F-9220-FB6D1C9EFF68.jpeg

A no nonsense simple just a good beer from Newcastle’s Hadrian Border Brewery.

You’re getting the location from the glasses 🤪 Chip & Pin, Melbourne. A no nonsense simple place to drink beer (& other beverages)

edit: re-fix a typo I’d already corrected once 😡

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
View attachment 521156
im on Proper Job from St. Austell brewery
mrskevenh is on Thatchers Haize cider

The Proper Job is OK. Il have more. 😵
The other beer is Doom Bar. For me, that’s an OK beer but if there’s no other choices.
A bit like having a Guinness if there’s no draft ale 😳
Kevin, I tried a pint of Proper Job (on draught) when in Newquay recently. I have to say that I found it lacking in flavour for an IPA. :( I went back to the Tribute Bitter from the same brewery.

Having been gifted a box of beers as a belated birthday present, I decided to dive in this afternoon, after cutting the grass. ;)

First out the box was this.........

20210922_161115.jpg

.........a pleasant stout with plenty of flavour. I personally would have preferred it to be slightly sweeter, with more emphasis on chocolate, but it went down a treat nonetheless. (y)

Next out the box was this from the Thornbridge Brewery, who are also known for their Jaipur IPA.

20210922_174629.jpg

I am only an occasional drinker of IPAs, and I have to say that this was right up my street, being a tad sweeter than many IPAs. It was so refreshing and fruity, unlike the many hoppy ales which taste like something I would prefer at breakfast time, ie, a glass of grapefruit juice. The mind reckons it could sink a few of these Passionfruit IPAs, but at 7% the body would soon decide otherwise. :LOL:

Next, was another Thornbridge offering...........

20210922_190456.jpg

.........and having tasted it, I wish I had opened it before the Passionfriut one, as it's not as sweet, however, it is very palatable leaving a distinctive taste on the palate which I am struggling to identify, but I am edging on orange, as well as the listed lemon and grapefruit.

Bottoms up. :drink:

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back